Pikeville College SOM- 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still haven't heard nothing about being complete or anything about an interview. I wonder whats taking so long :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't hear anything either last week. From the looks of things on the message board, their next round of interviews are 10/14 and 10/15. If that's the case, interview invites will have to go out soon for those dates. The 9/30 so far seems to be the only date that invites have been extended for.

I also got an interview on the 30th!! :) soo excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't hear anything either last week. From the looks of things on the message board, their next round of interviews are 10/14 and 10/15. If that's the case, interview invites will have to go out soon for those dates. The 9/30 so far seems to be the only date that invites have been extended for.

Has anyone tried to contact admissions? I left two messages last week but no one has called back?

I really hope they do something soon!!! It so depressing. I know u cant email them I have def tried that and it gets you no were. If they ever get back to ya let us know.

They have answered the phone when I called. I have called a couple times over the last few months and they answered. I spoke with them a week and a half ago but have heard nothing since.

Just got done with a mock interview at my school's career center and now I am even more anxious (in a good way :thumbup:) for next Friday! Anybody else excited/ anxious/ ready for the 9/30 interview?? :woot:

Just got done with a mock interview at my school's career center and now I am even more anxious (in a good way :thumbup:) for next Friday! Anybody else excited/ anxious/ ready for the 9/30 interview?? :woot:

Hey I'll be at that interview too! Hopefully they aren't too hard on the interviewees :xf:

Good luck everyone doing the 9/30 interviews!!

I hope to get an interview soon:/

Did it take about 2 weeks for most people to hear back after submitting their secondaries and letters of rec/fees paid??

Got my interview invite yesterday! I'm a little disappointed because they gave me the September 30th date, and I have an immunology exam that day. It's taught by a professor who is on the board for another medical school I applied to...can't get it moved!! I called, and their next interview date is October 14th and 15th...I have two med school interviews for another school on those days! Sooo I'm interviewing November 5th now! I wish I could interview with you guys! Good luck!

If the next round of interviews is October 14th and 15th, that leaves 3 weeks from today. Interview invites should come out very soon if that's the case I would think. Crossing my fingers they do.

Hi all....are there any current students with advice for those with upcoming interviews? TIA

I interviewed at this school 2 years ago. My interview fell on the last weekend of interview dates and they informed us that the entire class had been filled the week prior. Basically, we were interviewing for waitlist spots and I didn't get in at that time. I've now been in grad school and improving my stats and re-applying this year.

For those curious about how the interview day goes, I'll share my experience. Of course, this is assuming that they haven't changed the process since I interviewed. All of the interviewees are in one room together and 1st and 2nd year students will come out and talk to you while you wait to be called back for your interview. (Not sure if this is true or not, but I was told by a student prior to my interview that the school is using this method to see how you interact with others.) You'll get called back to a separate room and you will be interviewed by two people. The interview is open file.

For me personally, my interview was very laid back and myself and the interviewers were cracking jokes and having fun. I've been told that the ease of your interview really depends on who interviews you. Some of them can be pretty harsh, but this might not be a bad thing. A med student told us before we had our interviews that before he was accepted he had gone through the interview process twice. The first time, his interview was fun and laid back and then he was rejected. The next time he applied, the interviewers were really down on him and he ended up getting accepted.

I sent my primary to PCSOM in early July (although they did not receive my MCAT score until the beginning of September) and I still have not heard anything from them. Not even a conformation that they received my primary from AACOMAS. I called and left a voicemail about a week ago, but I have not heard back. Anyone have any ideas why I haven't heard from them? I know my MCAT score is not great (25N), but the rest of my statistics should be competitive (Overall GPA: 3.62, Science GPA: 3.42, Non science GPA: 3.77, Dual major (biology/psychology), 1000+ hours of community service, Lots of shadowing, and currently a volunteer in an ER). PCSOM is one of my top schools. I've heard back from every other school I applied to. Just wondering why not PCSOM. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my primary to PCSOM in early July (although they did not receive my MCAT score until the beginning of September) and I still have not heard anything from them. Not even a conformation that they received my primary from AACOMAS. I called and left a voicemail about a week ago, but I have not heard back. Anyone have any ideas why I haven't heard from them? I know my MCAT score is not great (25N), but the rest of my statistics should be competitive (Overall GPA: 3.62, Science GPA: 3.42, Non science GPA: 3.77, Dual major (biology/psychology), 1000+ hours of community service, Lots of shadowing, and currently a volunteer in an ER). PCSOM is one of my top schools. I've heard back from every other school I applied to. Just wondering why not PCSOM. Any advice?

Keep trying to contact them, I've found the earlier in the morning the better (I live on the west coast and they called me at 630am my time once. From what I've read on past forums Angel is the only person in the office so be persistent, but patient and polite. Good luck!

I have spoken to them in the morning and afternoon and they usually pick up...Just try calling Ronnie Collins, he's the admissions director and ask for him

He's also super nice and told me admissions meets weekly and usually look at apps on Thursday so by Friday they should know the next batch of people to be interviewed and notify them by early next week!

Good luck!

I have spoken to them in the morning and afternoon and they usually pick up...Just try calling Ronnie Collins, he's the admissions director and ask for him

He's also super nice and told me admissions meets weekly and usually look at apps on Thursday so by Friday they should know the next batch of people to be interviewed and notify them by early next week!

Good luck!

So you're saying they told you this Friday they should know the next batch of people?

Last Friday, I called and they told me they meet weekly usually Thurs or Friday and they should be reviewing applications and notifying next batch of applicants early next week like Monday or Tuesday of next week.

By the way, since they are adding the Coal Building in 2012...is the class size increasing as well from 75 to 125? Here is the article I found:

http://migration.kentucky.gov/newsroom/governor/20101008pikeville.htm

http://www.coalminingourfuture.net/the-news/83--coal-building-ground-breaking-pikeville-college.html

If the class size does double, I'm happy. That mean's there's more spots for interviews and acceptances!:)

Does anybody know anything about Dr. Atley or Dr. Litman, as far as being interviewers goes? Thanks!

Last Friday, I called and they told me they meet weekly usually Thurs or Friday and they should be reviewing applications and notifying next batch of applicants early next week like Monday or Tuesday of next week.

By the way, since they are adding the Coal Building in 2012...is the class size increasing as well from 75 to 125? Here is the article I found:

http://www.coalminingourfuture.net/the-news/83--coal-building-ground-breaking-pikeville-college.html

If the class size does double, I'm happy. That mean's there's more spots for interviews and acceptances!:)

Thanks for the information on the timeline. The last I heard from Angel in admissions, the class size was increasing (this was a few months ago). I know it will eventually support 125, but I'm not sure if it'll jump from the 75-80 they admit now to the 125 right away. Either way, more spots will be opening.

Does anybody know anything about Dr. Atley or Dr. Litman, as far as being interviewers goes? Thanks!

I don't know much about Dr. Litman (What I have heard, he's really nice), but Dr. Deatley is hilarious...he's really easy going and fun to talk to.

If I recall properly, the incoming class size for next year (Class of 2016) will probably be around 100-ish, with the subsequent year reaching the anticipated 125 limit.

I don't know much about Dr. Litman (What I have heard, he's really nice), but Dr. Deatley is hilarious...he's really easy going and fun to talk to.

Awesome, thanks for the info! They are my interviewers this Friday... Flying in tomorrow!

I've got Drs. Pope and Reymer

I'll probably get there a little early tomorrow...

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow. Do they tell you when they send the invite which interviewers you have?

Hey guys! I just submitted my primary and was wondering what the secondary questions are for the Pikeville secondary?

Thanks!

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow. Do they tell you when they send the invite which interviewers you have?

No, you have to call the week of your interview if you want to know.

Things went well today, I think. Here's hoping for good news!!! :thumbup: :xf:

Just drove back to Alabama from Pikeville (6.5hrs) for me. I had a really good experience ,the new school is going to be great with vastly improved technology. All of the students were very nice and eager to ask questions. I was told today by my interviewers that I should hear back quick, probably a week. The interview was very laid back for me and I really enjoyed it. I was very suprised on my tour of the Gross Anatomy lab that I actually was able to see the cadavers! My previous interview at DCOM did not allow the cadavers to be visible, so this was a definite plus for me today.

Also, if anyone is interested you get Dell Laptops and also a ipad2 which is cool. As you may know all the expenses are covered in the tuition so there is definitely some value here. There was a lot of people interviewing today, I would guess 30-40! Not exactly sure on how many will be accepted.

Good luck to everyone! With the new school I expect this school to move up a lot of people's list. I interview at DMU next Friday then should have a good idea where I would like to go if I was accepted.

Hi all....are there any current students with advice for those with upcoming interviews? TIA

Hey i'm a current first year at KYCOM any questions just throw me a msg i will try to be on here a few times a week. Its blck week for us right now so i apologize in advance if i dont get back too quickly :) just reply to this post and i will subscribe or send me a personal msg on here :)

Just canceled my interview for October 15th. Good luck everyone!

When were you invited for the 15th?

how many weeks/days in advance were people notified for the 9/30 and 10/14 or 10/15 interview?

From talking to Angie, they meet weekly usually Thursdays and told me to call back Friday for an updated app. status...

Generally, what is the chance at acceptance here after receiving an interview? Does anyone have any stats like how many apply, how many get interviewed, and how many accepted?

Also, has anyone gotten accepted for Class of 2016 yet? I know they had interviews in late Sept- 9/30 I believe?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the chances are, but a student there told me that sometimes on interview days they have two lists of those being interviewed. One list is students they've pretty much already decided to admit and the other is students they're unsure of and are bringing them in to see what they have to say.

how many weeks/days in advance were people notified for the 9/30 and 10/14 or 10/15 interview?

From talking to Angie, they meet weekly usually Thursdays and told me to call back Friday for an updated app. status...

I was told by some students last year that they were notified on a tuesday or wednesday. I interviewed last week and was told I should hear back tuesday or wednesday but no call yet.

Just now got an email inviting me to interview on October 15th!

I was told by some students last year that they were notified on a tuesday or wednesday. I interviewed last week and was told I should hear back tuesday or wednesday but no call yet.

Don't worry too much, they also said that the Dean (who makes the calls) is/was in Europe, and that the calls may be a little delayed. I was there last week, too, so I'm hoping we hear soon!

Generally, what is the chance at acceptance here after receiving an interview? Does anyone have any stats like how many apply, how many get interviewed, and how many accepted?

Also, has anyone gotten accepted for Class of 2016 yet? I know they had interviews in late Sept- 9/30 I believe?

Since it is rolling admissions, generally the earlier the better your chances. One student guessed that probably 8 out every of 10 people who interviewed last week would probably be admitted since we were the first batch of interviewees (there were about 30-40 of us there). We should be notified this week of our admission status.

Well i just received an invite for interview on 10/14 yesterday, so that gives me only 10 days. Are 10 days enough to get ready? Has anyone here received an interview on such short notice? I thought they give 3 or 4 weeks in advance notice. Should I ask for an extension date or is it better to go for an interview earlier? I really wish I had 3 weeks to prepare which is why i am asking. I mean will it lower my chances of getting accepted if I extend the date? Help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the bombardment of questions :)

Last edited:
Well i just received an invite for interview on 10/14 yesterday, so that gives me only 10 days. Are 10 days enough to get ready? Has anyone here received an interview on such short notice? I thought they give 3 or 4 weeks in advance notice. Should I ask for an extension date or is it better to go for an interview earlier? I really wish I had 3 weeks to prepare which is why i am asking. I mean will it lower my chances of getting accepted if I extend the date? Help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the bombardment of questions :)

The longer you wait, the more seats will be filled by those previously interviewed (rolling admissions), and if you do your research on SDN and Google there is no reason you shouldn't be prepared for an interview in 10 days (especially if you use your weekend wisely). It may not give you enough time to set up a mock interview, which I found very helpful, but I could be wrong. As an aside about prepping for the interview, I found that even just discussing question topics with those closest to you is helpful in formulating/articulating your answers. Good luck!

Whoever that already interviewed...

How long are the interviews?

How stressful was it?

How many people interview you and does this include faculty or physicians?

What are the questions you got asked?

Thanks in advance:)

Whoever that already interviewed...

How long are the interviews?

How stressful was it?

How many people interview you and does this include faculty or physicians?

What are the questions you got asked?

Thanks in advance:)

From my experience:

Interview was approx 40 mins, but it went longer than they expected because we got sidetracked and started chatting.

Low stress, more conversational. I was one of the first called to be interviewed out of the whole group, tho, so I didn't have to sit there and worry very long. The 1st & 2nd year students that were there were very friendly, and there was a nice intro presentation before the interviews started.

I was interviewed by 1 DO (Assoc Dean, professor, and ran the free clinic) and 1 PhD (Assoc Dean and professor)

Questions were related mostly to my application (a more personal rather than strict interview), which included the research paper that I am going to be a published author on, the weaknesses of my application, why KYCOM (I'm from OR), among others including the generic 2 strengths & 2 weaknesses.

Hope this helps.

I was verified about a week ago and I have not heard anything from this school. How long did it take for other people to receive secondaries?

I was verified about a week ago and I have not heard anything from this school. How long did it take for other people to receive secondaries?

It took awhile to get a secondary. Close to 3-4 weeks for me I believe. But then it took about 2 weeks to hear about an interview.