Pikeville DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zorro21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have an interview in pikeville on december 9. Pikeville is the newest DO school in the country. does anyone have any thoughts on this school, and is anyone else interviewing up there this weekend or in the future??
the school's web site is www.pcsom.edu

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Zorro21, I am interviewing at pcsom on Dec. 9. I am from Virginia. It is interesting that we are both out of state and interviewing on the first day of interviews.
Owen

Hi,
I am a third year student at WVSOM, but plan on doing some rotation at Pikeville. But, there is a Pikeville student here on this board that goes by PIKEVILLEMEDSTUDENT (or is it pikevillemedicalstudent). Anyway, he should be able to tell you a lot about the school. I will try and e-mail him and send him over here. He is pretty good though about answering posts like this.

Billie

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the school. Alot of exciting developments here everyday, like the addition of a DO/MPH program with the Univ. of KY and open heart surgery just began at Pikeville Methodist Hospital(PMH). I would be glad to answer any questions you have. Make sure you tour the new telemedicine center/library. It is quite impressive. If you do tour it, I expect to be there ALL day saturday! Test coming up next week. I may be at the interviews though. A friend of mine is interviewing with you guys. I will check this post several times between now and Saturday if you guys have any questions.

Billie,
Did my information help you in your search for the DME at PMH? If so, what rotation are you thinking of doing at PMH? I know they will finalize the accrediting process of the internship pretty soon. I think there will be 12 spots offered.

Hi pikevillemedstudent, You might not remember me, but I was the old man who observed anatomy lab a few weeks ago at pikeville. If I were to call, would they tell me who was going to interview me? Do you have to wait for the mail to find out about acceptance? Is the attrition rate low and for what reasons? How do you feel about block exams? Thanks, Owen

Actually Owen, you were at my table the entire time! I hope we didn't reflect poorly on the school. Hahaha. I doubt they would tell you who was going to interview you because I think it is a pretty random process as to which interview group you get. They basically have about four or five interview groups and I think they just divide the applicants up evenly. They do send acceptances by mail. They usually decide on the Monday after your interview and send them out that day but not always. Sometimes they do it in two week blocks. As far as attrition rate goes, I have no idea. Block exams rock!!!! It can be stressful but just have to remember to keep up with the material. If we had 1-3 test per week like at some other schools, I would pull my hair out. Just remember guys, I was in the second interview session and many people got in my group. Pick of the litter goes first. Just don't tell them you want to be a neurosurgeon and you'll be fine. Many don't make it this far. Our school eliminates alot of student's from the primary application. We only have SEVEN interview sessions, but then again our class is small. As far as being out-of-state, don't worry about that because you guys are both from the appalachia area. We have ALOT of students from TN and VA. Be prepared for any ethical situation you think of. Good luck.

Hey Pikevillemedstudent, I believe I know who you are now. You were the one standing across the table from me and you had hair on your head. Well I hope anatomy lab is going well and tell the rest of your partners I said Hey and that I enjoyed my conversation with them. I must admit I am a little nervous about this interview. My last interview 10 yrs. ago at WVSOM was very very laid back. They didn't even ask me an ethical Question. I believe they just wanted to put a face to the application.

Hi PikevilleMedStudent!
Yes I finally got hold of Dr. Murphy! He sent me calling several others, but finally I will be doing an ER rotation in March '01. The new ER director at the hospital used to be the director where I am now, so I have shadowed him a lot. Next year (my fourth year) I plan to do as many rotations over there as I can with some other docs. I want to get my name out there as I plan on applying there for internship. Dr. Murphy was gonna try and tell me about the internship and I told him, "yes I know, I plan on applying there next year!" hehe

Thanks for all your help! Maybe I will see you around in a few months
smile.gif

Billie

Hey Pikevillemedstudent, Would you send me your E-Mail so I can write you?
Owen

Mine is [email protected]