Pikeville in 2001

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.O. Tooby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's official now. I was accepted to LECOM and PCSOM and I'll be going to Pikeville. I like the small town atmosphere and the smaller class size.

I have to admit the choice wasn't too easy, since the tour at LECOM was impressive and the school is very well setup. I think that it too would have been a good choice. However, my family had some influence in the decision, and they MUCH preferred Pikeville to Erie.

Anyone else going this fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know the number of places left in the class? I will interview at PCSOM in a few days and wanted to know how long after the interview you received notification.

What did you do to calm your nerves regarding the fact that PCSOM has not been accredited yet? I have called a few of the hospitals where PCSOM students do rotations and I get pretty standard answers.
What was the interview like, and any tips on highways or roads to avoid. I am coming from Southern Alabama.

I just found out that I was accepted to PSCOM as well. I interviewed on Saturday the 6th and they called me the following monday. I am so excited. I just received the official letter today. They told those of us who interviewed on this day that they interview 120 and accept around 60. So once you get to the interview I guess your chances are 1/2. One of the first year med students told me that this was only their second group of interviews and they interview up through April. Good luck on your interview. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scroooch,

The school has provisional accreditation and that will be full accreditation once the school graduates its first class (and a large enough percentage of students pass boards).

The interview was very laid back, no high pressure tactics. I was notified Tuesday morning by telephone, after an interview on Jan. 6th.

I drove to Pikeville by way of Kingsport, TN on US Hwy 23. I encountered no problems other than construction on the interstates.

Good luck.

PCSOM WILL be accredited in May of this year. It is "in the bag" so to speak. Basically, the fourth year students would have to really bomb the second boards, and even if that happened, I was told there was still a chance to be accredited. Also, I think that at most schools, the second board pass rates are higher than the first. No school in the recent history of Osteopathy has had accreditation troubles that I know of. I think history will repeat itself.

Hey Pikevillemedstudent,

Were you, by chance, at the interview session on Saturday, Jan. 6th?

No, I wasn't there. Any particular reason why you asked? Just curious? I haven't been to one yet. They actually make us sign up to go. I always forget to sign up!!

No particular reason. Curiosity mostly. I've read many of your posts in these forums over the past several months (in lurker mode, you understand). I just wondered if, perhaps I might have seen you Saturday. We'll have to get together when I get to Pikeville, okay?