1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pikeville is the best DO school for OMT

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Pikevillemedstudent, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Reasons-We have Dr. Stiles, best board scores in OMT(NYCOM OMT professor called the school wanting to know how we do it), did I mention that we have Dr. Stiles?

This story will better illustrate my point.
    Some friends of my recently attended the UAAO convention in Colorado. What they told me was incredible. A second year from our school won first place in some sort of patient presentation competition. The problem here is that he was the ONLY second year competing. He was up against third, fourth, and even some OMM fellows. A student from another school said she felt sorry for their OMM fellow presentating after our second year student. A second year should never out perform an OMM fellow. Also, at your school, do you have to memorize steps for treatment of somatic dsyfunction? One student stated that the patient had some diagnosis that I can't remember and that it required 13 steps to treat. That's bull. We are not taught that way. At PCSOM, OMT is always conceptual. Depending on your technique, you treat a patient either against the restrictive barrier or away from it. You do this by placing the patient's body in a position he/she doesn't want go for restricitve and where it wants to go for indirect techniques. You treat a patient until his S/D is corrected. You DO NOT make a patient go against the barrier five times if two times corrects it. Memorizing steps is useless because your patient's body does not read the book. Another example, a student from PCSOM was explaining sacral mechanics to a group of fellow DO students. After the presentation, an OMM fellow asked her how long she had been practicing and where she did her residency. When he found out she was a FIRST year student, he literally ran over to his OMT instructor and demanded to know why a first year student knows sacral mechanics better than he does. Dr. Stiles loves telling that story. So my question to DO students is, how does your school teach OMT? I maybe wrong, but I consistently here the same descriptions of OMT education at other schools.

[This message has been edited by Pikevillemedstudent (edited March 28, 2001).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hankhill

hankhill Member
    10+ Year Member

While I can?t comment on Pikeville?s OMT training, I can say that at the very minimum
    DMU is highly competitive with the other DO schools in this field of study. Our course
    coordinator is extremely knowledgeable, compassionate, and motivating for his subject. I am unsure of how our board scores rate with other schools, but another DMU student has posted on this website that DMU and Kirksville consistently rank 1 and 2 respectively. All of our exams in this course are comprehensive throughout years 1 and 2. We are expected to learn ALL of the material, use it, and remember it. Like you, I am proud of my school?s training in OMT.

hankhill

4. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

wow. Really...wow.

5. trj

trj Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Since I went to the UAAO convocation, I just wanted to clarify a few things. The student following the second year pikesville student was a FIRST year not a fellow!!!! Also, it was not the OMT experience that was judged, but rather the presentation skills. He was a great presenter, but I don't know if you can say that Pikesville's OMT is number one. Ask the Doctors and I am sure that they will say that Kirksville is the top school for OMT.

6. trj

trj Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I forgot to mention that I am from UNECOM and we have a great OMM facility. As far as I know, our OMT department is ranked pretty highly within the osteopathic profession. Our exams are comprehensive as well and I have learned a lot in less than a year.

7. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

where is pikerville?

8. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Hi PikevilleMedStudent,

I finished up my ER rotation at PMH. It was great. Got to see some of the new hospital too. Too bad the admin at PMH is dumping the ER group. Hope they will keep some of the good docs and have the next group hire them.

Billie, MS-III

9. Toran

Toran Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Seems like KCOM would have the best OMM department. Doesn't it? I would assume that the school that holds OMM most dearly would have the best department.
    I really hope that it is the best school for OMM, since I will be going there next year and I researched the OMM departments of all the schools for quite some time.
    I have heard a lot about DMU, and it seems to be a good school. Although TCOM is pretty strong too. However, I would still say that KCOM has the strongest department. Especially if you count the fellowship.
    Toran

10. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Adrianshoe,

Picksville is next to Hogsjaw...or maybe Pussumhollar?

11. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Three cheers for Kentucky!!!

Pikeville is in eastern Kentucky, Adrianshoe.

Don't think I've ever heard of Hogsjaw or Possumhollar.

12. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    isn't it in Hazzard County, where the infamous Dukes of Hazzard was supposed to be? If so, say hi to Daisy for me.. [​IMG]

take it easy

homonculus

13. Wheels2000

Wheels2000 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Nope, it's not in Hazard County (note the single Z), it's in Pike County. And Hazard County, Kentucky is not where the Dukes of Hazard was based, although I do indeed wish Daisy were here.

Three cheers for Kentucky? Amen, brother.

--Wheels

14. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pikeville does have a good OMM department and Dr. Stiles is awesome. The way Dr. Stiles has set up his curriculum and energized the student body is impressive. Still, it's not nice to brag! I was at AAO convocation too and in my opinion the schools with exceptionally strong OMM departments are (in no particular order): KCOM, TCOM, DMU, Pikeville, NYCOM, UNECOM, and WVSOM.

The enthusiasm of the students from Pikeville and NYCOM is especially impressive!!

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited April 01, 2001).]

15. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Is WVSOM at Morgantown (WVU) or is it another school? I was thinking Morgantown was allopathic.

Anyway, Wheels2000, where ya from? You in undergrad or med?

16. Billie

10+ Year Member

WVSOM (DO) is in Lewisburg, WV. WVU (MD) is in Morgantown, WV.

Billie, MS-III
    WVSOM

17. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pikeville is the best???

1. Your student that won the UAAO Hollis Wolfe Compitition has been protested by most of the UAAO chapters because: 1. he never registered for the competition which was mandatory. 2. He used animations in his presentation which are specifically against the rules.
    My question is where is the integriting and attention to detail of following the rules. What kind of students are down in Pikeville that you would be bragging on the internet about this type of behavior. The students and Deans that I know from personally from Pikeville are great people and I would not say they would support this behavior let alone brag about it on the internet.

You need to get your facts straight. You said your school was the only one to send a second year and all of the rest were 3rd years 4th years or fellows. Above you can already see where one person mentioned a first year presenting and I know the student from our school was a second year.

As for who has the best OMT program I don't know that anyone knows. I don't think that board scores are a good indication though. All board scores show is that you know the language that the board uses. It says nothing about abilities to actually put your hands on a patient and use them.

While Dr. Stiles may be great (never heard of him) I would not sell short KCOM's OMM education. We have some of the top manipulators in the world teaching us. While that might make life interesting because they are all a little different from each other, I would challange the abilities of my classmates to manipulate up against any school. I have my personal opinions and think that we get a great education. I would think that other people feel the same way about their school. I would not use board scores to justify my reasoning though.
    (I don't know KCOM's board score so I can't comment on that)

------------------
    Carrie
    MSII KCOM

18. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Ok, I think I know of a family of brothers that went there for DO. Where exactly is Lewisburg?

19. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh...and how old is Pikeville?

20. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

is the capital of kentucky pronounce loooieville or Loo is ville?

21. Wheels2000

Wheels2000 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Haha...oldest joke in the book.

Incidentally, Louisville is now the SECOND largest city in Kentucky. Lexington has overtaken it -- but only for the next 2-3 years.

To Firebird -- from Lexington KY, just got into school. I'll be starting this August!

Continued luck to all...

Wheels

22. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Hahahaha...

Nice try.

The capitol of Kentucky is not pronounced Loooieville nor Loo-is-ville...

It's pronounced, "Frankfort".

It will take more than that to make me look stupid.

Anyway, but to really answer your question, Louisville is pronounced several different ways. In fact, the one I use (and most people in KY) you didn't even list.

I say, "Loo-uh-vul". But most non-Kentuckians say "Looey-ville".

[This message has been edited by Firebird (edited April 03, 2001).]

23. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Wheels...

Are you sure that Lex has outgrown Louisville? Louisville's metro population is over 1,000,000. I guess you would know though, since you live in Lex.

So you just got into UK med school? Here's a question for you about UK and UofL...have you ever heard of their program called PEPP?

If you have, did you attend? As I understand, there's PEPP I (for people just having graduated high school) and PEPP II (between soph and junior of undergrad).

If you attended either one, what do you think about them? I'm a KY resident, but I go to Marshall out of state. Do you know if I can attend PEPP II? I was trying to look it up tonight but www.uky.edu is down...which is really odd.

Anyway, thanks!

24. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am very shocked at all the responses I have got and all the Kentucky people on here. I didn't mean to sound SO braggy. Just a little I guess. I actually was wanting to know how other schools teach OMT. I thought that if I just asked "How does your school teach OMT" no one would respond, but yet no one has still answered that question.

To Hskermdic,
    You seem awfully mad. Did you present in the competition? The student did nothing wrong. Did he not have the best presentation? He was the best presenter with the best presentation as voted by the judges. Why would you want to try to disqualify him on a technicality? I do not know if he registered or not but who cares. Also, he didn't use animations. He used still slides and speed them up. Sounds creative to me! Our dean was very pleased with this and announced it to the entire school and to the undergrads. I am sorry your chapter felt the need to protest but I feel that looks poorly on you. It makes you look like a bunch of sore losers.

To Firebird,
    I went to PEPP II. It rules. I think the deadline for this summer has passed. I do know that since you are from Kentucky you are eligible to apply, however they have a list of underserved counties that they give preference to. You need to call Carol Leslie.She is literally the nicest lady you will ever speak too. PEPP was fun but I don't know that it helps that much. No one ever mentioned on any of my interviews. They have some statistic like 85% of those attending PEPP get accepted into med school.
    By the way Pikeville(PCSOM) is 4 years old.
    Lexington is bigger than L-ville because it encompasses all of Fayette Co. while Louisville is not all of Jefferson Co. When Louisville and Jefferson Co. merge in a few years, Louisville will again be the largest city.

25. Billie

10+ Year Member

Lewisburg is in Greenbrier cnty, Southeastern part of the state. White Sulphur Springs (where the Greenbrier Hotel is located) is just a few miles away. Border with Virginia is just a few more miles past that. Take I-64 east from Charleston and you will get there in about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Billie

26. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pikeville,
    I was not at convocation my comments are only ones I heard from students at my school and others. In fact it is my understanding that one of the judges judging the Hollis-Wolfe Competition is also filing a protest. This has nothing to do with KCOM or with us being sore losers. If I am wrong on my facts I am sorry I am just reporting what I have heard from at least 2 different schools.

The student who presented at KCOM is happy with her presentation and how it went over. I think she is even more pleased that her "invention" that she presented on has taken off among the pregnant women in our community. What could be a better compliment to your work.

Definately no anger here though. Sorry if I came off that way.

------------------
    Carrie
    MSII KCOM

27. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I actually emailed Ms. Leslie last night. I won't be going this summer, as I'm just a college freshman right now. I do live in one of the underserved counties...so I guess that makes me eligible.

However, I've heard that if your household income is above a certain level, you have to pay for the program (about $1,200). Is that true?

Thanks for the info on Louisville and Lexington.

Billie:
    Just curious...where did you go for undergrad?

28. Billie

10+ Year Member

Hi Firebird,

I went to WVU for undergrad and hated it so much I vowed I would never go back. [​IMG]

But I graduated there in '88. Didn't start med school until '98. I am one of those "older" med students [​IMG]

29. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Cool...I'm glad you didn't say that you LIKED WVU. Afterall, they're our arch enemies.

Morgantown is nothing but a school town. In Huntington, Marshall is only a small part of the goings on. I bet you would have liked Marshall better. Like one of my professors said, "It's a large school with a small school feel."

30. Billie

10+ Year Member

Well, maybe as an undergrad, but I interviewed there for med school and definitely was not impressed. They just didn't seem interested in the students (or me as a prospective one) at all. Maybe it was just a bad day for them when I interviewed.

31. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't really know about the Med school...I do know that when I interviewed for the top scholarship for undergrad they were pretty much how you described.

The interview was terrible; most places I went had very cordial, "get-to-know-you" interviews. At Marshall, they grilled me. The even twisted my words to make it sound like I was being contradictory...

I'm sure that undergrad/MUSOM interviews are totally unrelated, but I know what you're saying.

I think if you were to actually go to class at MU, you would see more what I'm saying about the small school feel. Most classes are fairly small and the teachers (for the most part) will do anything for you. But who knows about the med school