Pikeville Medical School (PSCOM) in KY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VijayEM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I had a few questions about Pikeville if anyone knows.

What is the average GPA there? Do they seem to weigh MCAT or GPA more or would that be impossible to figure out?

Also, I am considering IM or FP, but I hear Pikeville really wants to put out FP physicians. What does this exactly mean? Would I be able to pursue a residency other than FP if I wanted to. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

The averages are 3.4 and 23-24. In my opinion neither is weighed more. As for specialty, you can choose whatever you want. If you go to the interview saying you want to do surgery, you will probably get rejected though. We have had past graduates go into virtually every field of medicine with the exception of Neurosurgery I think. If you want to do IM or FP esp in a rural area, you cannot get better training anywhere period. Reply if you have any more questions.

Hi Pikeville med student,
I was wondering if you knew if pikeville gives preference to instate students, and if so, how much preference. I am a florida resident.
Thanks,
Allison

Members don't see this ad :)
PCSOM does give preference to KY residents. Usually 50% of the class, however they are talking about increasing class size 10 seats. They have recieved funding from a group of southern states to accept their residents. I don't think Florida was one of those states, mainly Mississippi but also some others.

Pikeville med student,
I am going to an interivew at Pikeville in the next few weeks. Is there any advice that you could give me about the interview or do you know of some unique questions that they tend to ask in interviews? I'm really excited about the interview and hope you can help me out.

Thanks

Hello Pikeville guys

I know it's hard to answer any question regarding stats, but I was just wondering if you guys had any insight or knew of some stat information because of other people.

I have a 3.1 gpa and a 28 MCAT. How do you think that fairs? I have a shadowed a DO and from a rural Kentucky area. Also, does Pikeville admissions care where you went to undergrad? That gpa is from a top 20 (supposedly, let's say according to usnews)

Thanks a lot guys.

Originally posted by Pikevillemedstudent
The averages are 3.4 and 23-24.

Whoa. A 23-24?

I don't mean to piss anyone off but you have to be tool to get rejected here.

A 23-24 is very low. Since this is just the average, the range would be from maybe 19 - 28?

It's nice to know that there are medical schools that forsake the emphasis on a particular criteria to help those relevant students achieve their dreams to become a doctor.

Originally posted by soopa
Hello Pikeville guys

I have a 3.1 gpa and a 28 MCAT. How do you think that fairs? I have a shadowed a DO and from a rural Kentucky area. Also, does Pikeville admissions care where you went to undergrad? That gpa is from a top 20 (supposedly, let's say according to usnews)

I don't do osteopathic programs but I know you'll be fine. Just don't bomb your interviews or other credentials.

I also attended a top 20 school and its pre-med lady said that the school's most recent DO matriculants had around a 2.7 - 3.2 and a 24 - 26. None of DO applicants went to Pikes, I think. They mostly ended up in NYCOM, UMDNJ, Philly, or Midwestern.

Slave, all I'm going to say is you epitomize every reason I had for applying to DO school...

slave4md,
There must be alot of tools out there since our rejection averages are higher than our acceptance. We want a particular type of student, one from rural Appalachia with goals of specializing primary care in rural Appalachia. Our admissions committee takes this very seriously. If you say you want to do surgery, you will be rejected regardless of your MCAT and GPA bottomline. In this respect, we are very selective. The other two schools in Kentucky were not providing doctors for Eastern Kentucky, therefore the KY legislature has provided a scholarship for PCSOM students who wish to do primary care in KY. Any student at PCSOM can get the scholarship once they become a KY resident.

soopa,
Your stats sound fine. Your top 20 undergrad would obviously help you. Now you have to convince the admissions committee of your desire to do primary care in Kentucky.

mwade,
This may be to late, but the questions they are going to ask you are very ethical in nature. They like to see what kind of person you are and how you would react in particular situations. Those are usually the toughest questions asked. Good luck.

Originally posted by H0mersimps0n
Slave, all I'm going to say is you epitomize every reason I had for applying to DO school...

I'll take it as a compliment. I guess you feel better now that I allayed your fears of a DO hurdle.

it definitely wasn't meant to be a compliment...

Just to show how awesome our faculty really is, take this into consideration.

UK's average MCAT score is 27 and their Step I fail rate is around 10%, the national average.

Pikeville average MCAT score is 22-23, and our Step I fail rate is around 10.5%.

You get everything you need to succeed here at Pikeville. If you have gaps in your science background when you get here, they will be more than filled by the time your boards hit.

Plus, you get something that you won't get at UK or UL, to study under Dr. Stiles, the best manual medicine guy in the world; not only can he do it, he can teach it as well!

later!

They seemed most interested in why I wanted to study at PCSOM, why KY, why Appalachia, and why family practice? After that 10 minutes, the rest was pro-forma. The most interesting question: "How would you deal with not performing as well here as you might have elsewhere in the past?".

PCSOM is for those who really want to practice medicine and don't mind being isolated for at least 2 years. All of the students I met there were motivated individuals, with the normal assortment of gunners and over-achievers. The avg age is probably much higher than the 2 state MD schools.

The biggest barrier would seem to be able to find funding (other than outright loans)...scholarships seem to be scarce now (maybe that is the same at all osteopathic schools now?).

Your mileage may vary...

Hey Pikevillemedstudent,

Not to be an ass or anything, but saying that Pikeville is selective towards students from rural appalachia is not something to be proud of - at least in an academic sense. After all...what did you say the average MCAT and gpa numbers were? What does that say about the quality of education in rural appalachia?

I don't mean to trash PCSOM. In fact, several DO's in know have raved about the faculty down there. I applied and got rejected - probably because I'm from Michigan.

Originally posted by H0mersimps0n
it definitely wasn't meant to be a compliment...

Don't confuse him.

The school was founded on the belief that if you accept, educate, and train students from Appalachia in Appalachia, the students will be more likely to practice in Appalachia. That is the bottomline and it is something I am proud of. Our goal is to not be like the other universities you are accustomed to seeing. High MCAT's do not determine the academic ability of the student. WVSOM has published research showing both MD and DO student MCAT vs Board scores. It was determined there was no relation. MCAT scores are weighed less here than at other schools for these very reasons. They prove nothing. As for our averages versus the quality of education in Appalachia, many of our students grew up in Appalachia but attend undergrad in other areas. So it is not a question of the quality of education in Appalachia, but more of the type of student that meet our criteria(MCAT being just one part of the equation). Our criteria is not absolute either. We have students from Washington state, Nevada, and even Brazil!! The fact that you are from Michigan did not exclude you. I personally know 4 students from Michigan at PCSOM. I hope you understand the point I am trying to make here.

Pikevillemedstudent,

I totally understand you're point. Well said. It just comes off kind of odd because it implies that PCSOM is looking for a particular type of student, AND most of these students also had MCAT scores/grades which were less than desirable for most. I'm sure there are some who had higher scores, but with averages so low, it just seems odd. Would someone from chicago have a chance if they really wanted to practice rural medicine but had MCAT scores way above the average? Of course they should, but you make it seem like they wouldn't. I had a similar situation, but because I come from an urban area, I couldn't prove that I was committed to rural America/Kentucky. I worked in a large hospital and have helped to treat lots of people with "big city" traumas (gun-shot wounds, stabbings, etc). It's okay if PCSOM wasn't looking for someone like me.

What is wrong with South Eastern Kentucky, that we're having trouble getting docs to practice there? I personally love that part of the country...don't get me wrong.