Pikeville...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by gapeach, Jan 15, 2002.

1. gapeach

gapeach New Member

I have an interview at Pikeville this month and wondered if anyone had any info. Is it just me or are entries regarding the school scant in this forum? Is that a bad sign? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
    -S

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DO-2-BE

DO-2-BE Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been accepted and will start in August. I really like the campus and the students. The facilities are nice. feel free to e-mail me (see my profile).

4. SHIBBY

SHIBBY Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey--I've got an interview there in early Feb...let me know how the area is/interview format/if I should wear long-johns...stuff like that.

5. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    GAPEACH-Ask whatever you want to know? There are several PCSOM students on here. You will surely get any question answered.

SHIBBY- I like the area but it is not for everyone. I grew up in eastern KY so it is just like home to me. The interviews consist of yourself and usually 3-5 faculty members. Well I guess you could wear long john's if you wish but you really won't be outside that much. The temperatures are bareable.

6. SHIBBY

SHIBBY Member
    7+ Year Member

Pikevillemedstudent--

How many spots do they have (est.)?

7. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    PCSOM accepts approx. 60 per class. The State of Mississppi is trying to get 5 spots per year guarnteed for their students, but that is still in the works. I think it would have a primary care commitment to Mississppi though.

8. PCSOM2002

PCSOM2002 Junior Member

There are several Pikeville students on this site but not near as many as other schools due to various reasons. Probably the #1 reason is size of classes. Pikeville has roughly 60 students in each class and the word about Student Doctor Network has not fully gotten around.

It has been several years since I interviewed or had anything to do with interviews as a first year seeing as how I am about to be outta there, but anyway the biggest advice I can give is make sure they know you want to do primary care, if that is what you want to do. They are big on FP, IM and Peds. If you are not sure you want to do do one of these then I would suggest at least telling them that you did and make it sound real convincing! When I interviewed, it was very laid back. I would think it is still the same! Be yourself! If you have been granted an interview, then they know you have the academics and ideals to meet their goal of training primary care docs. They just wnat to see you face to face and make sure the fit is a good one!

The other responder is correct. Pikeville is not for everyone! It is a small town in the middle of the mountains and about 2 hours from any true city! Huntington, WV- 1 1/2 hours; Charleston, WV-2 hours; Lexington, KY-2 1/2 hours. There is nothing to do there in Pikeville but then again that is good because it doesn't let you get distracted. The faculty is very nice and the administration is VERY, VERY student friendly. When the dean says he has an open door policy, he really means it. You can stop by his office anytime, no appointment necessary and talk about anything. I received acceptances to 3 other schools but choose Pikeville because of the faculty and administration. That is how nice they are!

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but I have been gone from the school for the better part of two years now doing my rotations and I have really lost touch with the whole application process. Best of luck to all the applicants.

9. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

10. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Manchester is 20 miles east of London on the Daniel Boone parkway. Home of the unforgettable wildcat Richie Farmer. That is about all we are famous for except for the Discovery channel special on fueds. "Don't mess wit' my kinfolk feller!"