Pip/Taz and Y-Site Compatibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're in the process of switching over our ICUs to extended-infusion dosing of pip/taz; but I'm having some issues finding data on compatibility with some of the more common drips you'd see in an ICU (norepinephrine, insulin, etc.). Most of the data that I've been able to find predates the reformulation with EDTA, so I'm a bit leery of trusting it. I called Wyeth, but they weren't much help either.

Does anyone here have suggestions? Published data would be great, but any sort of practical experience that you might have had would also be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Trissel's.

After looking at Trissel's, if you don't find the info you want, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long's the infusion?

We recently started as well. It was one of our residents projects and now we all have to do it after he left. Jerk.

Four hours.

Problem with residents is that most of their projects take longer than a year...they then get dumped on the interns. Stupid JCAHO and their quality measures.

That was one of the places I looked, most (all?) their data was from before the reformulation.

Ok..then my data is old... hound Wyeth. They need to provide the info. Don't take "NO" for an answer. Keep calling... and when they give you and answer you don't want...say..

"That is not acceptable." And stay silent. Let them come back to you with a response and solution.

Ok..then my data is old... hound Wyeth. They need to provide the info. Don't take "NO" for an answer. Keep calling... and when they give you and answer you don't want...say..

"That is not acceptable." And stay silent. Let them come back to you with a response and solution.

Fair enough...hopefully playing hardball works.

I was also debating calling up Apotex and asking what they have. They're currently marketing the generic up in Canada, which (hopefully) will follow here shortly.

Fair enough...hopefully playing hardball works.

I was also debating calling up Apotex and asking what they have. They're currently marketing the generic up in Canada, which (hopefully) will follow here shortly.

But generic Apotex vial is pre-reformulation dude..

But generic Apotex vial is pre-reformulation dude..

I was not aware of that...what a bummer.

I don't want to resurrect the "risk management" guy, but have you heard anything else about when the generic might pop up here? McKesson had no idea when I called them, neither did Wyeth (at least that they would tell me).

Just waiting on the FDA... could be tomorrow..or it could be next year..