pirtzker secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Make it good though, they put HEAVY (heavy HEAVY HEAVY) emphasis on the essays. --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
"Applicants are notified by email and surface mail if invited for interview and by surface mail if the Committee has decided not to consider an application further"

surface mail - haha - interesting

This question is a bitch.... Most individuals live by a system of values and beliefs which serve as a guiding principle for daily living. ...

And why the hell do they want our SAT scores?!

"Most individuals live by a system of values and beliefs which serve as a guiding principle for daily living. ... "

i think they are asking us to describe our involvement in the hale-bop comet cult.

the sat question is reasonable i think - if you have a bad history of standardized testing they can adjust for that; if you have a good history than they can marginalize your good score.;)

-jot

jot - lol

If I could develop a system of beliefs that never failed me, I'd write a book about it... not a 2400 word essay. I like how the essay starts with "Most individuals... " I should just say "I'm not most individuals" :D lol

My SAT scores are decent... but I'm afraid the transition from a 670 verbal SAT to a 12 MCAT verbal might seem a little shady.

Trek is right. Don't mess with Pritzker's secondary. They are essay freaks and they send out rejection letters in mass. It's an awesome school though; and lots of fun students.

hah relativelyP,
i don't think they will fault you that much for the verbal score.

so let me get this straight - should or shouldn't take the essays seriously - just spell it out;)

Jot,
Regardless of that answer, we have to try our best on that secondary. Would you do your work less efficiently if you knew they don't put that much emphasis??? I don't think that matters.

Just give it your best, regardless of how seriously they take it. If you work on the secondary, you *might* just end up writing something they like to see.

Tweetie

Yo...
the Pritzker secondary hasn't changed at all since last year! Yeah, I remember toiling over the stupid secondary for almost a whole week...that one and Hopkins and Maryland are real pain-in-the-butts.

Good luck to you all! ;) ;)

honestly, i thought pritzker's essay questions were the coolest.
they really asked personal questions that would shed light on who we are.

they made me think.

About the "beliefs system" question... is this an open invitation to talk about religion and/or God. I thought there was an unwritten rule that we aren't supposed to ever mention God or religion... so what "belief system" should we write about?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey relatively prime!

last year when i answered that question i talked about the moral code i try to live by on a daily basis and how i try to treat people. when i interviewed there it amazed me how the students on the committee said that they spend alot of time reading through to find out who you are as opposed to just being an AMCAS number. best of luck in this crazy time!

with the belief's question...I didn't know there was a rule against talking about God and religion. :oops: So I talked about my religion 100%--and I guess it didn't hurt, because I eventually got it...
But at my Einstein interview, I don't think it helped to talk about Christianity to a Jewish faculty member--probably why I got rejected. :laugh: :laugh:

Jot,
Regardless of that answer, we have to try our best on that secondary. Would you do your work less efficiently if you knew they don't put that much emphasis??? I don't think that matters.

Just give it your best, regardless of how seriously they take it. If you work on the secondary, you *might* just end up writing something they like to see.

Tweetie

hah - i was just kidding - i will definately consider taking the application process seriously .... next week. uchicago is a rockin place, its a high choice for me so i think it maybe in my best interest to try. their questions are decent; introspective - even for undergrad they have good questions. ha -but its still going to take a while.

Originally posted by relatively prime
This question is a bitch.... Most individuals live by a system of values and beliefs which serve as a guiding principle for daily living. ...

hmmm, I didn't mind that question so much - the one I dread writing is the "Relate an experience in which you felt you rtuly helped someone". Although there are multiple experiences I could relate it seems like a pit full of cliches and immodest trite contrivance.....blah!

I was hoping that none of my secondaries would ask about research experience, as I have none. I still believe that U. Chicago is a good match for me, but will leaving this question blank sink my application?

Originally posted by Trajan
I was hoping that none of my secondaries would ask about research experience, as I have none. I still believe that U. Chicago is a good match for me, but will leaving this question blank sink my application?

Well, I wouldn't leave it blank. Maybe talk about how even though you've never done research, you appreciate the people who do.... how much hard work it is, etc.... and even say how you hope you'll get the chance to do research in the future (if that's the case.) I wouldn't leave it totally blank though. :)

wow, has it really been a year since I started working on this secondary? *looks at the app status matrix with myriad numbers scrawled everywhere to confirm* yup, got the sec. on 18-july and sent it in 30-july last year.

I remember spending lots of time on this one, mainly cause I enjoyed and appreciated the questions. It only confirmed me that the characteristics and qualities they were looking for were ones that I found inline to be a potentially compassionate and intelligent competent physician. THE BEST PART: I used peices from these 4 essays for more than 1/2 of all the other secondaries I completed! So even practically, it's worth taking your time on this for the long run.

As for using the essays, I distinctly remember Dean Lombard telling us that as a result of the scAMCAS debacle, they were forced to pre-screen using EC's and essays as their primary way and that it was working so well for them they were going to seriously consider using this system in the future also.

-Hope to see (even host!) some of you at an interview in the fall!

Originally posted by Trek
Make it good though, they put HEAVY (heavy HEAVY HEAVY) emphasis on the essays. --Trek

what happened to quitting cold turkey, buddy? Guess you can't leave the ex- for too long. Gotta come back for an SDN quickie every now and then. :p

hey- i think there are other ways around this - have you done a research paper for humanities? social science research? bio and science research isn't the be all end all - and it certianly doesn't encompass all possible research. don't leave it blank, there is much to talk about - even if you've stepped into a library to do research on a topic for something. if i didn't have any science research i would talk about history research - one isn't superior to the other, just different.

"Most individuals live by a system of values and beliefs which serve as a guiding principle for daily living. ... "

Hmmmmm that sounds awfully close to Covey business philosophy. I wonder if they had a MD/MBA right that. Anyways if it helps, I think the question can be rephrased, "What principles do you value the most?" Com'on, everyone has some principles. Some of my closest principles are integrity, help subordinates succeed, proactiveness, confidence, family-first, amoung others... you just gotta think about how you behave and what the philosophy behind that is. G luck all (i won't have to worry about secondaries for another 2 years. whoohoo!)