ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Not like I want to study in the middle of corn fields and hicks.

But today, the admissions office sent me an email with a letter attached to it, stating that their admissions committee has decided to defer my application.

Then there's the BS that follows "due to the dramatic increases in highly qualified applicants to our program....."

My foot! I know this girl who got into that cornfield dental program with 17s and 18s on her DAT!

Oh well, I'm going to call their admissions office tomorrow and find out why they deferred me. :mad:

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
It should be obvious when they clearly stated "due to the dramatic increases in highly qualified applicants to our program....."

Better luck next time.

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
아이고 니참우낀다!! 유아어 빅바보 보이 !! :D �

About the Ads

HermeytheElf

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Hollywood Upstairs Dental College
Status
Pre-Dental
Is this the way you're going to act every time you get a rejection? Rejection is part of the application process...each school has specific things they are looking for. Apparently Iowa didn't think you were a good fit for their school and you need to accept that and learn to deal with that in a more appropriate manner. To be honest, many of your posts on this board reflect a lack of maturity. It seems like every time someone says something which disagrees with you, you lash out with inappropriate(albeit editted) language or offensive remarks (see the cornfield reference in the original post). Iowa might be doing you (and your future patients) a favor by not taking you this cycle and allowing you a little time to grow up.

NDdental

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I don't know if this applies to you or not, but I have heard that Iowa's school is big on connections to the school through a dentist or a relative. I'm guessing maybe this is a possible reason.

Don't worry though, you'll get in somewhere else.

apaul

Some Dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Dental Student
hmmm, my wife's cousin goes to Iowa, good thing I married her huh? :p that must be why they're showing me some love :D

beannaithe

Bionerd
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Phila, PA
Status
Dentist
Just call them and ask them what you can do to be considered competitive for next year, liek what you need to be improve on.

I wouldn't get that upset/mad over it. Rejection is a natural part of the process and you're better off at a school that wants you there. If it were me, I'd be way happier that they reject me before I jumped through the hoops of an interview.

There will be other schools. :)

wireless_doc

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I had high GPA and very high DAT. They rejected me early too. It think it was because I was from a different state.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
Meh. I remember it hurt for the first 5 rejection letters I got. Then I started getting used to it. Just accept it and move on. Another school will accept you and you'll forget all about that "cornfield dental program." :luck:

RockstarDMD

sUcCeSs iS mY OnLY OpTioN
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
Accepted
Status
Iowa mostly accepts "residents". In the past they have had a few spots for "non-residents". I think with dramatic increase in applicants across the country Iowa is producing enough interested applicants, and as a result you have been deferred. However, deferred is not the same as rejected it just means they want to look at the resident apps first.

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
HermeytheElf said:
Is this the way you're going to act every time you get a rejection?
OMG?!! Do you have dislexia like this other guy?

I never said I got "rejected" READ my damn posts carefully! :mad: I said I got deferred meaning that the committee will look at my application again in the future.

Rejection is part of the application process...each school has specific things they are looking for.
Apparently you have poor reading comp skills don't you?

To be honest, many of your posts on this board reflect a lack of maturity. It seems like every time someone says something which disagrees with you, you lash out with inappropriate(albeit editted) language or offensive remarks (see the cornfield reference in the original post).
Because you said things that weren't true (i.e. you got "rejected" from dental school) which of course would make any sane person angry. Next time read the fine prints carefully!

Iowa might be doing you (and your future patients) a favor by not taking you this cycle and allowing you a little time to grow up.
*sigh* you're just like this other guy from the pre-med forum (not going to mention any names here). I hope you read things carefully so you don't piss your patients off in the future by screwing over their medical bills. :laugh:

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
RockstarDMD said:
Iowa mostly accepts "residents". In the past they have had a few spots for "non-residents". I think with dramatic increase in applicants across the country Iowa is producing enough interested applicants, and as a result you have been deferred. However, deferred is not the same as rejected it just means they want to look at the resident apps first.
Why thank you Rockstar DMD for reading my post carefully!!!
I didn't get "rejected" as hermeney stated.
You will be successful dentist! :thumbup:

Yeah, I do know that state schools prefer to select their residents because of the fact that in-state applicants pay taxes to fund the state government, which in turn funds the dental school.

Oh well, I will work on other school's secondaries for now.

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
tinman831 said:
Meh. I remember it hurt for the first 5 rejection letters I got. Then I started getting used to it. Just accept it and move on. Another school will accept you and you'll forget all about that "cornfield dental program." :luck:
LLOOOOLLL thanks for the cheers tinman.

I'm just curious which dental school you plan on attending, since it sounds like you've already gone through the admissions cycle last year?

About the Ads
OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
beannaithe said:
Just call them and ask them what you can do to be considered competitive for next year, liek what you need to be improve on.

I wouldn't get that upset/mad over it. Rejection is a natural part of the process and you're better off at a school that wants you there. If it were me, I'd be way happier that they reject me before I jumped through the hoops of an interview.

There will be other schools. :)
I have called the admissions office this morning and left a message for one of the counselors to call me back.

I'm thinking that I've been deferred because I will be re-taking the DAT in September, so they want to see how I perform on my second DAT.

HermeytheElf

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Hollywood Upstairs Dental College
Status
Pre-Dental
ArmoredTooth said:
OMG?!! Do you have dislexia like this other guy?

I never said I got "rejected" READ my damn posts carefully! :mad: I said I got deferred meaning that the committee will look at my application again in the future.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better...bottom line is that you won't be Iowa City come next fall. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm just being honest with you. Iowa is very selective about who they take from out of state, and you have stats on the lower end of average. I have no doubts you'll get in somewhere, but I don't think its going to be Iowa and in the future you shouldn't get so upset over a rejection.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
ArmoredTooth said:
LLOOOOLLL thanks for the cheers tinman.

I'm just curious which dental school you plan on attending, since it sounds like you've already gone through the admissions cycle last year?
Yup. I went through all that hooplah last year. I'll be headed off to Tufts in a couple of weeks. :)

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
The great state of a epiphany
Status
Dental Student
I'm not sure if you are an iowa resident or not but before going down the check list of schools to apply to, make sure they are schools that give non-residents a fair shot. Some schools like UMKC will tell you right away that if your DAT score is less then 23 in each section, don bother applying. Last cycle I applied to 15 schools and I either got accepted, rejected or on waitlist, but never deferred so I dont really know about that. Again....to all applicants, before you apply make sure each school is a school you have a resonable shot at. Some state schools do take non-residents and it is worthwhile to apply to them.

good luck,

apaul

Some Dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Dental Student
all I can say is wow. . . the OP went crazy go nuts

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
tinman831 said:
Yup. I went through all that hooplah last year. I'll be headed off to Tufts in a couple of weeks. :)
Well, at least all the stress of applying to dental school is off your back!

Going to Tufts!?? Damn, that's a nice dental school located in the bustline area near downtown Boston.

In fact I stopped by Tuft's Dental School in mid-July. Unfortunately it was a Saturday and the building was locked down. But I like the location, and all the eateries in nearby Chinatown.

Good luck with your studies!

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
rambo2006 said:
I'm not sure if you are an iowa resident or not
Nope, I'm a good ol' California resident from NorCal! :D

but before going down the check list of schools to apply to, make sure they are schools that give non-residents a fair shot. Some schools like UMKC will tell you right away that if your DAT score is less then 23 in each section, don bother applying.
UM Kansas City is the school you're talking about? No less than 23 in each DAT section for their admissions criteria?

My friend from Hawaii got into UMKC with an 18 for QR, 20 for Reading and and 20 AA, less than the 23 benchmark that they have told you.

Last cycle I applied to 15 schools and I either got accepted, rejected or on waitlist, but never deferred so I dont really know about that.
Well, I just can't wait to be accepted to a dental program, period.

Chuck1441

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Just in case anyone who actually cares reads this;

If you are from out of state Iowa will tell you that you need at least a 3.8 GPA or not to bother applying.

Call them.

ChadC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2005
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
ArmoredTooth said:
Not like I want to study in the middle of corn fields and hicks.

But today, the admissions office sent me an email with a letter attached to it, stating that their admissions committee has decided to defer my application.

Then there's the BS that follows "due to the dramatic increases in highly qualified applicants to our program....."

My foot! I know this girl who got into that cornfield dental program with 17s and 18s on her DAT!

Oh well, I'm going to call their admissions office tomorrow and find out why they deferred me. :mad:
Did you forget to tell them you founded the pre-dent group on facebook? That must have been the EC they were craving for.

About the Ads

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
ChadC said:
Did you forget to tell them you founded the pre-dent group on facebook? That must have been the EC they were craving for.
Hey that was me!

edit: I've mentioned that group on all of my secondaries :D

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I say spend the $60 you would have spent on a secondary on cold adult beverages for you and your friends.

ChadC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2005
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
armorshell said:
Hey that was me!

edit: I've mentioned that group on all of my secondaries :D
too many "armor..." on this site :confused: :confused: :confused:

firenoodle

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2005
Status
Does it mean all the sits in IOWA are filled already?? my application are still not sent out yet!!!!

chordata

The Last Starfighter
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
Alpha Centari
Status
firenoodle said:
Does it mean all the sits in IOWA are filled already?? my application are still not sent out yet!!!!
They don't start sending out acceptance letters until 12/1.

(Last year I didn't get my stuff in until mid-August. I had my interview in October.)

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Chuck1441 said:
Just in case anyone who actually cares reads this;

If you are from out of state Iowa will tell you that you need at least a 3.8 GPA or not to bother applying.

Call them.
Yes you're darn right Chuck1441.

I've just spoken to a lady at the admissions office yesterday, and she told me their average GPA is 3.87. She didn't specify whether the stats were from out-of-state applicants or the applicant pool overall for this country-jack school. I'm thinking that a lot of Iowa applicants are in-state and have attended Univ of Iowa where they easily can get A's and B's in their classes. This is why their GPA is boosted, not only to make the admissions process more competitive, but to also show off their stats. But whatevers, as Iowa isn't as good as the other dental schools I'm applying to. :laugh:

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
ArmoredTooth said:
But whatevers, as Iowa isn't as good as the other dental schools I'm applying to. :laugh:
lawl, if Iowa is such a terrible school in such a horrible area, why did you even apply? :laugh:

Maybe just some sour grapes? Take the rejections in stride man, it appears even the best applicants get a few ;)

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
The great state of a epiphany
Status
Dental Student
armorshell said:
lawl, if Iowa is such a terrible school in such a horrible area, why did you even apply? :laugh:

In answering your question it is important to know that many ppl who apply to schools like columbia and harvard also never forget to apply to schools like howard and meharry and that is because for many (not all) students, getting "in dental school" is much more important then where they get in. Students are willing to leave family behind and mooove to where ever they get accepted so that they can eventually become dentists some day. Even if it takes going to school in a state like iowa. In the state I live in (Minnesota) it gets really cold in the winter and with over 15,000 lakes, it can snow pretty easily. We actually got hail 2 days ago. With ugly weather like that, ppl still apply, interview, and go to school to the U of MN and they come from Cali, AZ, and other states too.

good luck to all.

OP
A

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
rambo2006 said:
Even if it takes going to school in a state like iowa. In the state I live in (Minnesota) it gets really cold in the winter and with over 15,000 lakes, it can snow pretty easily. We actually got hail 2 days ago. With ugly weather like that, ppl still apply, interview, and go to school to the U of MN and they come from Cali, AZ, and other states too.

good luck to all.
Yes, you're darn right in terms of me applying to schools that fit my interest just to get accepted to a dental program.

Wow, you're from MN? I'm applying to Minnesota as an out-of-state resident.

Although MN snows a lot and it's damn cold during the winter, it's a different scenario than iowa. At least MN has the Twin Cities where I can party. I also think a lot of the girls in MN are hot! :love:

iowa, psssht, whatevers.

Mach band

It's not caries.
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Iowa is a great school. It's nearly imposible for an avergage student from another state (especially from Cal with five d schools) to get accepted. Period.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
ArmoredTooth said:
Not to add fuel to your fire, but Iowa is one of the more difficult programs to get into. They offer an exceptional dental education that is very well respected throughout the country (regardless of what you think), but their admissions criteria are very high and strict.

I would not base anything off the n=1 with a DAT of 18 that you know, but rather look at all the other students with high GPAs (over 3.7) and high DAT scores (over 22) that get accepted there.

About the Ads