Pitt 2nd Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cappymo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, I went. I thought it was a fun weekend. However, it was not what I expected. I wanted to:
1) meet cool people that I clicked with
2) talk to the faculty
3) get a refresher on the curriculum

I definitely met cool people. Some of the people who've been accepted to this program just blow my mind. I had loads of fun talking to them. However, I found the enthusiasm of the accepted students to be greater than the enthusiasm of the current students, which turned me off. The deans, when I had a brief opportunity to speak to them, had no idea who I was. However, they gave nice presentations on Friday at lunch. The only refresher I got on the curriculum was whatever I could remember to ask the faculty member who had lunch at my table on Friday. She was very nice, friendly, and happy to be at Pitt. I would also like to add that the faculty member who interviewed me has been a consistent source of support and encouragement for me to attend Pitt.

In short, it was a fine weekend that I enjoyed. However, it didn't blow my mind so I've decided to attend a different school which really did blow me away with personal attention and student enthusiasm.

I was there. I loved it. I went to the weekend because I thought I should give the school a shot, but not really thinking it was where I would end up. I came out thinking it might be the school for me. The prospectives and first years I hung out with were all really fantastic and nice and down to earth. The faculty who spoke were all really interesting and doing amazing work and all work closely with students in a variety of aspects. Pitt owns something like 90% of the health care institutions in the area, so there are soooo many diverse opportunities to get involved and be exposed to lots of different things. And the city of Pittsburgh wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be!

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant to add that I thought the city of Pittsburgh was terrific. I felt relaxed and safe the entire time (coming from a big city). I looked for apartments and houses while I was there and was really excited about the opportunities there for housing. So much cheaper and bigger than the big city.

I was there....and overall it was a good weekend. I felt like it was a little bit disorganized and half the time I didn't really know what was going on, but the awesome students I met made up for that. I thought the WISER center was neat too. I know some people skipped going becase they thought it was going to be another tour like we had at our interview, but it was actually stations set up where we got to try putting a central line in (which I failed at miserably), intubating, using a defibrillator, and I can't remember what else.

Of the prospectives I talked to, some REALLY liked Pitt and some didn't so I suspect there will be plenty of waitlist movement. One prospective in particular told me he though Pitt was kind of high on their horse and used NIH funding talk too much (the Dean said something at the lunch about how Pitt is 6th or 7th with funding and that's the only true ranking of med schools). Had he shown up to the talks on the second day he would have seen that Pitt isn't on any "horse" whatsoever. I thought the faculty and students came across as very down-to-earth, approachable, and non-arrogant.

All in all, I'm definitely going to Pitt, but I already knew that.

anyone else's opinion change?

c'mon, let me live vicariously thru you....