Pitt BS/MD vs Cornell Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1133976

Hi all! This is prob different from the typical post in this forum, but I am a senior in high school right now. I am deciding between the Pitt 8 Year BS/MD (no MCAT, 3.75 GPA for those wondering) versus Cornell undergrad (which I was just accepted off the waitlist to). The cost would end up being the same. Should I stick with Pitt? I'm not sure if this matters, but I think I would have a more enjoyable UG experience at Cornell since I have several close friends going and my sister has gone the last 4 years and loved. I apologize if this question is naive. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pitt unless there’s a chance you switch from medicine.

Probably the best school in the country that does bs/md. Even if you go to Cornell and get a 4.0, top 20 wouldn’t necessarily be guaranteed

Reactions: 3 users
It's not a naive question! Normally, this is a case where you should just take the guaranteed MD acceptance and run, but hear me out.

I had the choice between a BS/MD program (as well as an early assurance program which began my sophomore year of College) and another school where I saw myself being happier. My HS advisor (bless her soul) gave me this solid advice which I'll paraphrase: Getting into a BS/MD program is amazing, you're already an outstanding applicant. If you keep that same drive you will have no problem getting into a regular MD program because it's already more difficult getting into the BS/MD/Early Assurance programs. Go where you think you'll be the happiest and feel the most supported because that's where you'll shine.

Now medical school apps weren't this competitive and crazy back in 2016 so I chose the school where I'd be happier. In the end, that gut feeling was correct, I fell in love my school. The support I had there (friends, family, faculty, etc...) really made the grind that is pre-med so much more manageable. And it wasn't even perfect, over the next 5 years I fell in and out of love with medicine a couple times, explored other avenues for a bit, but eventually found my way back to medicine (I ended up having a crazy successful cycle and will be attending a T5 this fall so no regrets on making that decision)!

That said, Pitt is an amazing school with an even more amazing medical school. Objectively, if this was me, I would take the offer and run (you have a guaranteed acceptance to Pitt, that's actually WILD!!) with it because lord knows how competitive medical school applications are gonna be 4-5 years from now. BUT, if you truly see yourself happy at Cornell, take the happiness route because mental wellbeing is criminally underrated and can make or break your undergrad career. Cornell will set you up just as well for medical school, you just have to keep that same drive you had to get accepted to the BS/MD program (Given that you got into Pitt's BS/MD program I'm sure this won't be an issue for you). Additionally if you choose to pursue a different field the Ivy name carries weight and will provide you with so many connections.

Anyway, just my two cents! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a naive question! Normally, this is a case where you should just take the guaranteed MD acceptance and run, but hear me out.

I had the choice between a BS/MD program (as well as an early assurance program which began my sophomore year of College) and another school where I saw myself being happier. My HS advisor (bless her soul) gave me this solid advice which I'll paraphrase: Getting into a BS/MD program is amazing, you're already an outstanding applicant. If you keep that same drive you will have no problem getting into a regular MD program because it's already more difficult getting into the BS/MD/Early Assurance programs. Go where you think you'll be the happiest and feel the most supported because that's where you'll shine.

Now medical school apps weren't this competitive and crazy back in 2016 so I chose the school where I'd be happier. In the end, that gut feeling was correct, I fell in love my school. The support I had there (friends, family, faculty, etc...) really made the grind that is pre-med so much more manageable. And it wasn't even perfect, over the next 5 years I fell in and out of love with medicine a couple times, explored other avenues for a bit, but eventually found my way back to medicine (I ended up having a crazy successful cycle and will be attending a T5 this fall so no regrets on making that decision)!

That said, Pitt is an amazing school with an even more amazing medical school. Objectively, if this was me, I would take the offer and run (you have a guaranteed acceptance to Pitt, that's actually WILD!!) with it because lord knows how competitive medical school applications are gonna be 4-5 years from now. BUT, if you truly see yourself happy at Cornell, take the happiness route because mental wellbeing is criminally underrated and can make or break your undergrad career. Cornell will set you up just as well for medical school, you just have to keep that same drive you had to get accepted to the BS/MD program (Given that you got into Pitt's BS/MD program I'm sure this won't be an issue for you). Additionally if you choose to pursue a different field the Ivy name carries weight and will provide you with so many connections.

Anyway, just my two cents! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
Wow, thank you so much for the super thorough reply! I really appreciate the transparency and you considering all aspects of the college experience. I think it comes down to if I am ready for the pre-med grind in college and if I am willing to bet on myself to get into a school at least as good as Pitt. I think I am leaning Pitt for the reasons that you stated. Thank you so much again!

Cornell is also one of the harder Ivy, one step down from Princeton in terms of curving

Are you absolutely 100% sure you want to do medicine? If so, Pitt. If not, Cornell

cornell's grade deflation is NOT a joke, go to Pitt

Reactions: 4 users
You cannot go wrong with the T20 med school's BS MD program if you are 100 % sure of doing medicine.

Pitt! The odds of going through undergrad and getting into a better school than Pitt is low for anyone. You have an acceptance to a top 20 medical school. You take it.

On top of that, you won’t have to worry about doing the stupid premed things like taking the MCAT.

Pitt unless there’s a chance you switch from medicine.

Probably the best school in the country that does bs/md. Even if you go to Cornell and get a 4.0, top 20 wouldn’t necessarily be guaranteed
Northwestern has a BS/MD program

The human brain has a remarkable ability to justify our path as the right one - in 4 years regardless of what you pick and regardless of whether you’re in medicine, you’ll think it was the “right” choice. If you go to cornell and don’t do well ochem, you’ll get a job at McKinsey and in 10 years talk about how you’re so glad you can go to the carribean on your weekends. If you go to Cornell and get into med school you’ll talk about how you’re glad you took the risk over Pitt and tell other premeds to do the same and “follow their heart” for these types of choices. If you go to Pitt and then to their med school you’ll talk about how thankful you were to not have to study for the mcat and recommend anybody who can get into a bs/md program. If you go to Pitt and don’t achieve a 3.75 gpa you’ll take the mcat, apply to different med schools, and be then in 5 years be thankful you went to the other med school.

This phenomenon is part of the reason so many say “I wouldn’t change a thing.” I don’t think this is a bad thing. I think it allows is to move through the world and not live with regret over every decision.

So with that said, I don’t think there is a wrong choice. I think in 8 years you’ll be just as happy and convinced you made the right choice regardless of what you choose.

With all that said - the preface/caveat here is much longer than the advice - I think living life solely for the promise of getting med school is not wise, but if you like both places the easier path to your goal is worth it. That is, if you LOVE Cornell and don’t feel good about Pitt, just go to Cornell. If you like both (putting aside the bias of liking Cornell because you just saw your sister go through her college experience there) and you think you’ll be near equally happy at both, then the promise of an easier path to med school makes Pitt more attractive to me.