Pitt E-mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get an email from Pitt saying go ahead and send your financial aid stuff? The email said that they were sending it to everyone who interviewed, and it was in no way an indication that an acceptance would be offered.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, I got that email too. When are they supposed to begin notifications of admissions? I vaguely recall March 1st, but that was so long ago...

When did you get this e-mail? I interviewed at Pitt in September but haven't gotten anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah - i interviewed in sept too but haven't gotten any such email

Dear Applicant:

This email is being sent to all applicants who have interviewed at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Receipt of this email in no way suggests a future offer of admission.

The Financial Aid website is now ready for you to apply for financial aid for the 2003-2004 academic year.

.. If you wish to apply for School of Medicine Need-Based Scholarships and Loans.

The deadline for applications for School of Medicine Need-Based Aid is April 1, 2003.

Go to: http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/future/future_04.asp and choose "Filing Dates: School of Medicine Need-Based Aid" for details and links to the necessary forms.

Please read our instructions carefully before completeing your FAFSA.

.. If you plan to apply for ONLY Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford, and Alternative Loans.

Go to: http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/future/future_04.asp and choose "Filing Dates: Stafford and Alternative Loans for suggested filing times, details and links to the necessary forms.

If you have any questions, please contact our office.

Office of Admissions & Financial Aid
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
518 Scaife Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
(412) 648-9891

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
Thanks, xaelia.

hmmm...no such email for me. i interviewed in november.

Originally posted by xaelia
Dear Applicant:

This email is being sent to all applicants who have interviewed at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Receipt of this email in no way suggests a future offer of admission.

The Financial Aid website is now ready for you to apply for financial aid for the 2003-2004 academic year.

.. If you wish to apply for School of Medicine Need-Based Scholarships and Loans.

The deadline for applications for School of Medicine Need-Based Aid is April 1, 2003.

Go to: http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/future/future_04.asp and choose "Filing Dates: School of Medicine Need-Based Aid" for details and links to the necessary forms.

Please read our instructions carefully before completeing your FAFSA.

.. If you plan to apply for ONLY Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford, and Alternative Loans.

Go to: http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/future/future_04.asp and choose "Filing Dates: Stafford and Alternative Loans for suggested filing times, details and links to the necessary forms.

If you have any questions, please contact our office.

Office of Admissions & Financial Aid
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
518 Scaife Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
(412) 648-9891

i think it might be an early sign of acceptance/special treatment. i was looking thorugh page and saw this line:

"Financial aid counseling is a very time intensive and personalized process that places great demands upon our staff. As a result, we can offer these services only to ACCEPTED students who have submitted a FAFSA. "

looks like this might be like the hint that umich gave out earlier in the year.

or, it could be the same people who had received pre-secondary interview invites at pitt. guess we'll all know in two weeks.

everyone got that last year too. they haven't made decisions yet for your class. they are making them on monday i think (i just spoke with the head of admissions).

they've already given everyone numerical scores_ they meet monday to decide where the arbitrary cutoff is for the first round of decisions. around 150-250 accepted next week, all others will be waitlisted/rejected (or accepted on a rolling basis if you interviewed recently).
total of a little less than 400 accepted total for a class of 148.

those accepted next week should be first notified by emails from their student and/or faculty interviewers early next week.

now chill out and stop reading into these mass emails.

Thanks alot choker for the great inside information.

I am not expecting good news but I really enjoyed UPitt and think its a great school.

I still haven't heard back from Mount Sinai.

I am interviewing at Northwestern next tuesday.

Hopefully I will find out something from UPitt when I get back from my interview.

Originally posted by Yogi Bear

or, it could be the same people who had received pre-secondary interview invites at pitt. guess we'll all know in two weeks.

I got a pre-secondary invitation but no e-mail. I've been told I'm under consideration for a scholarship, which does not imply rejection status.

hmm - i had had a pre-secondary interview too and haven't gotten the email - vienese, how did you find out (ie - email, phone, etc) that you were being considered for a scholarship?

arsh--

It was mentioned at one of my interviews. I explicitly expressed plans for academic medicine in my PS, and it's related to that. Probably a lot of people are being considered for it but don't know about it. I don't know how many people are being considered, so I'm not banking on it. I think they have other scholarships, too, so just because no one's said anything to you doesn't mean you won't get one.

Spoke with Pitt. The e-mail was sent to everyone who interviewed in the 1st two weeks as a test-run. (I got the pre-secondary invitation but could not schedule one until the last Friday in September.) Everyone else will get one soon.

Whew!

Originally posted by choker
everyone got that last year too. they haven't made decisions yet for your class. they are making them on monday i think (i just spoke with the head of admissions).

they've already given everyone numerical scores_ they meet monday to decide where the arbitrary cutoff is for the first round of decisions. around 150-250 accepted next week, all others will be waitlisted/rejected (or accepted on a rolling basis if you interviewed recently).
total of a little less than 400 accepted total for a class of 148.

those accepted next week should be first notified by emails from their student and/or faculty interviewers early next week.

now chill out and stop reading into these mass emails.

So if we don't make the cutoff for acceptance then do we still get some sort of email? Or if we do not receive anything from pitt next week does that mean we are on the receving end of a rejection?

Spoke with Pitt. The e-mail was sent to everyone who interviewed in the 1st two weeks as a test-run. (I got the pre-secondary invitation but could not schedule one until the last Friday in September.) Everyone else will get one soon.

Whew!

You don't by any chance know whether the email means your file is complete? I interviewed feb 12th and was told i was borderline for making the late feb decision dates. I just got the email today.

Sorry. All she said was that everyone who interviewed got an e-mail, but I don't know whether it means the file is complete. I heard someone say somewhere (don't you love that kind of information?) that for you it will depend on how quickly your interviewers get their reports turned in. I would call Admissions and ask.

Listen to the choker man, don't read too much into them. just means that you've been interviewed

Sorry. All she said was that everyone who interviewed got an e-mail, but I don't know whether it means the file is complete. I heard someone say somewhere (don't you love that kind of information?) that for you it will depend on how quickly your interviewers get their reports turned in. I would call Admissions and ask.

Hehe...ya i posted that info on one of the earlier threads about pitt. i guess i should just call and ask if my file is complete.

jeebus there's so much crap to fill out for financial aid! i'm going to withdraw my application rather than do all this stuff.