pitt finanical aid email without acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coco11

will settle for roses
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I just recieved this email from Pitt - I interviewed a little over 2 weeks ago but haven't head a decision yet. Do they send this to everyone? :)

Greetings!

I am writing to provide what I hope will be useful information.

First, it is time to begin the Financial Aid application process. Our need-based financial aid application requires:

- the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) located at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

- Tax returns: yours, your parents' and, if applicable, your spouse's

- School of Medicine financial aid forms located on "the Zone," the Pitt Med student information portal. Go to: www.zone.medschool.pitt.edu -->Student Life-->Apply for Financial Aid. Please ignore the security box that pops up when you access the forms.

- The financial aid application deadline is April 16, 2007.

Second, as a reminder, the application deadline for the Physician Scientist Training Program and Clinical Scientist Training Program (5-year, merit scholarship-funded research programs) is March 1, 2007. Please follow the link in your interview invitation email for CSTP information. PSTP informatio! ! n can be found at www.pstp.pitt.edu.

If you have questions, feel free to call us at (412) 648-9891 or email [email protected].

Best wishes!

Paula Davis

Assistant Dean

Admissions and Financial Aid

Yours truly,

Paula Davis
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
518 Scaife Hall
3550 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
(412) 648-9891
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

I got this same email as well. I too am wondering about this as I interviewed about 4 weeks ago.

I havent even interview yet! and i recieved this email! I have my interview on Feb14th...

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got that too. I don't think i've ever opened an email that quickly.

Lol, that is weird. I interviewed and was waitlisted, and I have never received that email. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but maybe it's a good sign. Furthermore, they said during the interview day that they wouldn't bother talking about/going over financial aide information for interviewees because 1) it won't matter unless you're accepted and 2) no matter what your financial situation they'll make sure there's a way for you to attend. ::shrug::

PS- I guess the flip side is that if the financial aide deadline is April 2007, that means waitlisted persons must apply for it regardless. The waitlist email says they'll start pulling in May, which would be after the deadline. Assuming this logic holds....I wonder why I didn't get the email >(.

Me, too. I interviewed Jan. 23rd. I'm hoping this is good news. :oops:

ditto, ok we're accepted, time start packing our bags... if only

ditto, ok we're accepted, time start packing our bags... if only

Ditto as in same interview group? Did we get a chance to talk? I was the guy who kept going on and on about everything there is to do in Pittsburgh. ;)

oh, nm, I was 22nd

So desuka. Wakarimasu.

Meanwhile, you're killing me, kyp. The fact that it's the weekend means that I have to wait until Monday to clarify what's going on. Bah! :D

So desuka. Wakarimasu.

Meanwhile, you're killing me, kyp. The fact that it's the weekend means that I have to wait until Monday to clarify what's going on. Bah! :D
When they do give you an answer make sure post it on this thread! >)

I also got this email and haven't heard back about acceptance/rejection/wait list. I interviewed on January 22nd. I sent Paula an email. Obviously I'm not the only one, there seem to be many, so this probably has nothing to do with us being accepted.

Damnit.

SoCo which one were you? Were you the one I was talking to about poker and from Berkeley?

I sat at the end of the table during lunch (closest to the window), but I'm from AZ. Coincidentally, I talk about poker with almost everyone, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got this e-mail too, very shortly followed by an e-mail from my interviewer congratulating me on being accepted. No official acceptance e-mail or snail mail from the admissions office yet.

That doesn't really clear things up at all, since it could mean (a) everyone on this thread has been accepted but your interviewer chose not to e-mail and the official stuff hasn't arrived yet, or (b) the financial aid thing is unrelated to acceptance/rejection/waitlist status and my case was just coincidence. So, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up just for possible disappointment to follow, but I didn't want to withhold potentially useful information/data.

Good luck :luck:

ETA: Also, I interviewed in December, before Christmas. Make of that what you will.

Just adding to the list of people who received the financial aid email sans acceptance... :\

I hate to spoil this but I received the email and my interview is Feb 20th.
so they made up their minds about me without interview :eek:
or it doesn't have anything to do with it.

I have to fill out financial info for two schools that I haven't been accepted to. The FAFSA deadline is in early march, so a lot of schools need that financial infor regardless if you get accepted.

Remember when applying for undergrad, you had to fill out financial stuff for schools before getting accepted...same kind of thing.

Did everyone get these on the same day? I'm the one that's worried now...how come pre-interview students got the email and I (being on the waitlist) didn't? Ahhh! Is anyone else here on the waitlist? >(

Yup, I also received the email and I don't have an interview until Feb. 16th. Somehow I still got really excited for a minute though before I remembered I haven't interviewed yet.

Yup, I also received the email and I don't have an interview until Feb. 16th. Somehow I still got really excited for a minute though before I remembered I haven't interviewed yet.

So why did Pitt send out this financial aid email then? It seems that if they are just trying to get financial aid packages squared away by April, other schools would also send something similar to students that were either accepted or on the waitlist. I mean, wouldn't other schools send something similar if they wanted their students to get financial aid? Or is this all just some diabolical scheme to make our lives miserable?

So many questions, so much more frustration... :p

So why did Pitt send out this financial aid email then? It seems that if they are just trying to get financial aid packages squared away by April, other schools would also send something similar to students that were either accepted or on the waitlist. I mean, wouldn't other schools send something similar if they wanted their students to get financial aid? Or is this all just some diabolical scheme to make our lives miserable?

So many questions, so much more frustration... :p
well, let's think it out. everyone who hasn't been rejected has the possibility of attending the school still.

maybe they're just one of the few schools who wants students to be financially prepared, regardless of their application status.

it doesn't seem like it should be all that surprising.

I suspect they sent out the email now because the PSTP deadline is coming up March 1 (as well as the financial aid deadline in April), and they assume that folks might want to submit PSTP applications even if they haven't been accepted yet.

anyone applying CSTP? Im thinking of doing the essay...?

I just got the email today. I've got to tell you...my heart stopped when I saw that email in my inbox. Because of the browser window size at the time I could only see that it was from "admissions." I can't tell you how much I hate my job right now...I was ready to walk out the door on some great news. Alas, it's just the financial aide email. That takes care of the outliers...everyone who applied who hasn't been rejected yet should probably be getting this email.

I actually stopped by admissions and financial aid today (they are right downstairs from critical care medicine, and I'm there for a research meeting every Tuesday), and they said that anyone who still had an open file received it.

anyone applying CSTP? Im thinking of doing the essay...?

Does anyone know when we will hear back about the CSTP or the PSTP? The form says "rolling," but I know they accept applications up until March 1st. It seems like it would make the most sense for them to wait until they have received all apps to make a decision, but this is just speculation.

Does anyone know when we will hear back about the CSTP or the PSTP? The form says "rolling," but I know they accept applications up until March 1st. It seems like it would make the most sense for them to wait until they have received all apps to make a decision, but this is just speculation.
Someone enlighten me as to this whole CSTP/PSTP thing. My understanding is that physician-scientist programs are for researchers who also want MD degrees. I'm sure that definition is too narrow, but realistically isn't such a person mainly gearing themselves towards research vs. clinical practice? I just haven't heard/read much about these programs. I definitely want to become a clinical physician, but I am interested in also being involved in research....perhaps not 50/50, but to some degree. So, to those applying to these programs what is your vision for where it will take you? (also, what's the difference/meaning of CSTP vs. PSTP?). Thanks.

Someone enlighten me as to this whole CSTP/PSTP thing. My understanding is that physician-scientist programs are for researchers who also want MD degrees. I'm sure that definition is too narrow, but realistically isn't such a person mainly gearing themselves towards research vs. clinical practice? I just haven't heard/read much about these programs. I definitely want to become a clinical physician, but I am interested in also being involved in research....perhaps not 50/50, but to some degree. So, to those applying to these programs what is your vision for where it will take you? (also, what's the difference/meaning of CSTP vs. PSTP?). Thanks.

Here is the PSTP webpage: http://www.pstp.pitt.edu/admission_process.asp
And the PSTP trains academic physicians. The program is five years...and you spend one year doing research.

CSTP http://www.icre.pitt.edu/cstp/
is a bit different. Here, you have the option of perhaps obtaining a Certificate in Clinical Research or Masters...I think the emphasis is on clinical research and training.

I applied for PSPT because I am interested in basic science and medicine...

Interesting. Both mention a "commitment to careers as an academic physician." I guess that answers my question. I certainly have an interest in the basic sciences and in research, but if I had to pick a commitment it would be clinical medicine- not academic medicine. I guess that answers my question >).

Not to resurrect a dead thread here...but does anyone find the financial aide application(s!) a bit excessive? I finally decided to do my FAFSA only to realize that Pitt has another set of forms! It seems like a lot of energy for the slim chance of being pulled off the waitlist...