Pitt good for OMFS?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swamp Yankee said:
i agree with you entirely.
most of us are operating on an old stereotype
and speculation... but that one about the chairman
being an insecure a-hole, well, that's very true
and i can't imagine that not having an effect on
the program day-to-day. i too would like to save
the world, but oral surgery is not the means by
which to do it. tell that to their chairman... and tell him
to spend more time with the family and to treat his
residents kindly. tell him to thank his nurses and
anesthesia staff for their invaluable support, without whom
there would be no surgery. tell him that his applicants
are the future of the specialty and remind him to treat
us kindly so that when he's gone, we don't have
to read his name, his books, and his articles in such distaste.
Why are your posts always in a weird format? Is this some kind of OMFS poetry?

Members don't see this ad.

6897729 said:
See, Patrick Wang has hit on exactly what I was talking about. "From what I've gathered..." Way to provide some specifics, Pat.
Why does this guy feel the need to name drop all the time? Since you're interested in specifics, why is it that you can't say what's really on your mind? If one of us has said something about your program, set the record straight. I don't understand why you're taking such a roundabout course for establishing your opinions. Doggie isn't the only guy being vague, pal...

I'm also going to steal your thunder and let everyone in on everyone else's names:

Myself: Jon Hollmes
Toofache: "Dirty" Hairy Callahan
GatorDMD: Andre 3001
Swamp_Yankee: Timmy Tredwell
Esclavo: Cesar Chavezz
TX OMS: Andie Dick
North2South: Sammy Jackson

OMFSCardsFan said:
Why are your posts always in a weird format? Is this some kind of OMFS poetry?
I was wondering the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
patchin' teeth was such a bore;
said to myself: f- this; no more!
fixin' skulls, that's what i'm for.
so i'm headin' south for lousy-anna,
to a little corner called tex-ark-ana.
the three wise men: ghali, kim, loud;
gotta work hard to make 'em proud.
the residents are cool, but one is gay;
don't ask don't tell, it's better that way.
they'll train me good; with hands like lead,
i'll pull that tooth right outta yer head.
it'll bleed a bit; i'll put a stop to that,
if you give me sh-t, meet my gat.
bring it on, i'm ready for war;
cut, clamp, stitch... i love this gore.
writin' rhymes, it's what i'm about;
f- this sh-t,
peace, i'm out...

[there's your omfs poetry]

Swamp Yankee said:
f- this sh-t,
peace, i'm out...

Kids... Drugs are bad....MKAY!

Swamp Yankee said:
f- this sh-t,
peace, i'm out...

For once in my life I'm speechless :eek:

6897729 said:
At least their residents aren't ******* who are worried about failing OMSSAT and being kicked out.

FYI - I externed there two summers ago. They do operate quite a bit there. Sure, not as much as Parkland or LSU, but certainly enough to "learn how to do oral surgery."

Take it easy. First, they can't really kick out 3rd years in a 4 year OMS program that accepts 1 resident per year. I am glad you externed at Harvard. One of their part time attendings happens to be a close friend of mine so I have a little more than 2 weeks experience with the program. By the way you are comparing Harvard and Parkland???? Are u still a dental student? You do not seem to know anything about these programs if you are actually comparing them. My last OMSSAT score was 86 what was yours???
Later Bitch....

It seems like 6897729 and Sevodes are the same person. I can't figure this out.

sevodes said:
Take it easy. First, they can't really kick out 3rd years in a 4 year OMS program that accepts 1 resident per year. I am glad you externed at Harvard. One of their part time attendings happens to be a close friend of mine so I have a little more than 2 weeks experience with the program. By the way you are comparing Harvard and Parkland???? Are u still a dental student? You do not seem to know anything about these programs if you are actually comparing them. My last OMSSAT score was 86 what was yours???
Later Bitch....

Nice score! :)

OMFSCardsFan said:
Why does this guy feel the need to name drop all the time? Since you're interested in specifics, why is it that you can't say what's really on your mind? If one of us has said something about your program, set the record straight. I don't understand why you're taking such a roundabout course for establishing your opinions. Doggie isn't the only guy being vague, pal...

I'm also going to steal your thunder and let everyone in on everyone else's names:

Myself: Jon Hollmes
Toofache: "Dirty" Hairy Callahan
GatorDMD: Andre 3001
Swamp_Yankee: Timmy Tredwell
Esclavo: Cesar Chavezz
TX OMS: Andie Dick
North2South: Sammy Jackson

Awe man, now the secret is out. :mad:

:laugh: Shake it like a polaroid pic-cha! What's cooler than cool? ICE COLD! :D :cool:

Swamp Yankee said:
f- this sh-t,
peace, i'm out...

Eminem/Vanilla Ice in da House! I mean south! :laugh: Yeah Boy!! SO who is the gay resident? :idea: Kind of like R.Kelly song... In the closet. :laugh: Seriously we should start a OMFS rap group... me and you SWAMP.... swamp and gator go together... like... like gay and fellagio ;)

[I hope he doesnt bust a cap in my ace...]

Members don't see this ad :)
GatorDMD said:
Eminem/Vanilla Ice in da House! I mean south! :laugh: Yeah Boy!! SO who is the gay resident? :idea: Kind of like R.Kelly song... In the closet. :laugh: Seriously we should start a OMFS rap group... me and you SWAMP.... swamp and gator go together... like... like gay and fellagio ;)

[I hope he doesnt bust a cap in my ace...]
OK, I thought I had heard it all. If he doesn't bust a cap then I will.

Here's how I would sound if I starting rapping:

http://www.emusic.com/samples/m3u/song/10813585/12900959.m3u

(The Gourds)

:laugh: You all need SERIOUS psychiatric help! Funny **** though :laugh:

sevodes said:
Later Bitch....

Okay, this is just so absurd that I had to respond...

First off, on another thread you were asking something to the effect of "what is the minimum score required so that your residency won't fire you..." - I really don't think it was too much of a stretch to infer that you are, in fact, afraid of failing.

Second, I'm glad that you know a part-timer at MGH. Good for you - I spent more than 2 weeks there, and can tell you, both from my perspective and those of the residents I spoke with, that the part-timers there do jack. They cover maybe one day of clinic every two weeks and aren't even kept in the loop on things like faculty changes or the call schedule, since they don't take call. When I was there, the part-timer didn't even know what cases were scheduled for the week. Hardly what I would consider accurate sources of information on the volume and variety of cases seen on a daily basis.

Finally, omfsstud above mentioned that the PD had some lame number of cases that she took to the OR. I find it interesting that he used the least busy attending at the hospital to quote a case number. It is certainly no secret among anyone who has spent any amount of time at MGH that Troulis essentially doesn't have many of her own cases and insists on scrubbing in on every one of Kaban's cases, thereby preventing the residents from operating with Kaban because she does one side, Kaban does the other, and the resident holds the sticks. Who knows why - but I guarantee that she has the lightest, most insignificant caseload of any of the surgeons there.

The reason I made the comparison to Parkland or LSU is that everyone on here seems to use these programs as the "Gold Standard" of training in OMFS, which they may well be. Again, I see nothing wrong in making a comparison against the standard.

Here's what I can tell you from my experience there (~4 weeks)...The residents are all excellent people: incredibly smart, friendly guys (two gals) who are not arrogant and certainly do not conform to the stereotype that has been presented here and do not boast about being the best because it's, as Toofache put it "Hahvahd" (i.e. they, like everyone else, think their program suits them well and think it provides good training). A few of the residents there had externed at Parkland and other places and had nothing but good things to say about it - I repeat, no one said anything that would make me think that, as has been posted on here, they are a bunch of arrogant jerks.

There are a number of attendings there who are busy and do let the residents operate. Among them are Keith, Stephens, Donoff, Dodson, Ferarro, Padwa and Flynn. Keith does a ton of TMJ surgery, Stephens does a lot of orthognathics, implants and reconstructions (I got to see a cases few with free flaps done with Julian Pribaz from Plastics at BWH), Donoff does a significant amount of microsurgical nerve repair and cancer (parotids, etc.), Dodson and Flynn do mostly run of the mill OMFS and trauma cases, and Padwa and Ferarro are at Boston Children's, doing a significant of the orthognathics/craniofacial surgery. These attendings were very good about letting the residents and interns operate.

I left MGH thinking that the myth that they don't operate much is just that - a myth. It is certainly perpetuated by the fact that the residents don't cut much on Kaban's cases. So, I suppose the true statement about MGH is "The residents don't operate much with Kaban."

That's just my 0.02.

My most recent OMSSAT score was 80, I guess you're better than me.

6897round2 said:
Troulis essentially doesn't have many of her own cases and insists on scrubbing in on every one of Kaban's cases, thereby preventing the residents from operating with Kaban because she does one side, Kaban does the other, and the resident holds the sticks.

I had heard of residents fighting with residents or with fellows but never before with extra attendings regarding who get to cut the opposite side of the staff surgeon. That situation is ABSURD. Thanks for enlightening us....

6897round2 said:
That's just my 0.02.
Why did you have to change your name? I'm still curious as to where you are, so I can make a conscious effort not to say anything bad about your program... :confused:

6897round2 said:
Okay, this is just so absurd that I had to respond...

First off, on another thread you were asking something to the effect of "what is the minimum score required so that your residency won't fire you..." - I really don't think it was too much of a stretch to infer that you are, in fact, afraid of failing.

Second, I'm glad that you know a part-timer at MGH. Good for you - I spent more than 2 weeks there, and can tell you, both from my perspective and those of the residents I spoke with, that the part-timers there do jack. They cover maybe one day of clinic every two weeks and aren't even kept in the loop on things like faculty changes or the call schedule, since they don't take call. When I was there, the part-timer didn't even know what cases were scheduled for the week. Hardly what I would consider accurate sources of information on the volume and variety of cases seen on a daily basis.

Finally, omfsstud above mentioned that the PD had some lame number of cases that she took to the OR. I find it interesting that he used the least busy attending at the hospital to quote a case number. It is certainly no secret among anyone who has spent any amount of time at MGH that Troulis essentially doesn't have many of her own cases and insists on scrubbing in on every one of Kaban's cases, thereby preventing the residents from operating with Kaban because she does one side, Kaban does the other, and the resident holds the sticks. Who knows why - but I guarantee that she has the lightest, most insignificant caseload of any of the surgeons there.

The reason I made the comparison to Parkland or LSU is that everyone on here seems to use these programs as the "Gold Standard" of training in OMFS, which they may well be. Again, I see nothing wrong in making a comparison against the standard.

Here's what I can tell you from my experience there (~4 weeks)...The residents are all excellent people: incredibly smart, friendly guys (two gals) who are not arrogant and certainly do not conform to the stereotype that has been presented here and do not boast about being the best because it's, as Toofache put it "Hahvahd" (i.e. they, like everyone else, think their program suits them well and think it provides good training). A few of the residents there had externed at Parkland and other places and had nothing but good things to say about it - I repeat, no one said anything that would make me think that, as has been posted on here, they are a bunch of arrogant jerks.

There are a number of attendings there who are busy and do let the residents operate. Among them are Keith, Stephens, Donoff, Dodson, Ferarro, Padwa and Flynn. Keith does a ton of TMJ surgery, Stephens does a lot of orthognathics, implants and reconstructions (I got to see a cases few with free flaps done with Julian Pribaz from Plastics at BWH), Donoff does a significant amount of microsurgical nerve repair and cancer (parotids, etc.), Dodson and Flynn do mostly run of the mill OMFS and trauma cases, and Padwa and Ferarro are at Boston Children's, doing a significant of the orthognathics/craniofacial surgery. These attendings were very good about letting the residents and interns operate.

I left MGH thinking that the myth that they don't operate much is just that - a myth. It is certainly perpetuated by the fact that the residents don't cut much on Kaban's cases. So, I suppose the true statement about MGH is "The residents don't operate much with Kaban."

That's just my 0.02.

My most recent OMSSAT score was 80, I guess you're better than me.

So now its 4 weeks??????????????????????????????????????????????????
If you read my posting you would see that I was never asking about the OMSSAT score for myself. It was a general question asked in order to get feed back from residents in other programs. It is funny how every single time a question is asked on this site it just does not get answered properly. Instead people criticize the question (especially if they cannot answer it). In fact, most of the responses on this site are directed toward defending the reasoning behind posting certain questions. What a waste of time. I don't really care what your OMSSAT score was but you should not call people you do not know ******* because of an assumption you are making about their thread postings. Second of all 4 weeks is still not enough time to make a claim like you are making. Its good that you are able to throw out some names but that does not mean anything.
Good luck with your program.

sevodes said:
I don't really care what your OMSSAT score was...

Really - unless I'm mistaken, you asked what it was, then called me a bitch.

sevodes said:
Second of all 4 weeks is still not enough time to make a claim like you are making. Its good that you are able to throw out some names but that does not mean anything.

Look, you obviously have some issues here. Please point out where you think I'm making some crazy, outlandish claim. Personally, I think that 4 weeks during a busy time of year and contact with the current residents gives me enough to make a claim that maybe, just maybe, the program's reputation isn't justified. In fact, isn't that the point of externships anyway - to spend enough time at the program to decide whether you think it's good or not? It's not like I'm making some crazy claim that MGH is the best program in the history of the universe. I'm simply stating what I gathered from my experience and how it contrasts to a) my preconceived notions about the program and b) the popular stereotype about that program.

I have no idea how much experience you have with this program, aside from your claim to be best-buds with a part-time faculty member, which, in my mind, doesn't count for much anyway. Perhaps you are secretly an attending there or something.

I'm not trying to throw out names, just providing specific examples of what I saw while I was there and who was doing what. People like specifics sometimes. For example, maybe you would like to provide a specific example of how what I said about MGH was incorrect?

So, that's my opinion. I'm sure that you'll craft a tasteful rebuttal that belittles my ideas while simultaneously providing little to no substantive backing, but hey, this forum is open for all.

Swamp Yankee said:
f- this sh-t,
peace, i'm out...

yeah.....pretty mediocre and unimaginative, especially the bigoted part (."..cool but one is gay..dont ask dont tell..."..whatever)...listen, you're full of it and you are a homophobe and guys like you are probably insecure about there own sexuality.

gay men work twice as hard to get where they are in conservative professions. you gotta give credit for that guy who made it to OMFS in louisiana. let's see how you're gonna feel about the filthy "poem" you posted when you have a son who turns out gay.

one last thing: if you're a real man, which you arent, then read this poem to the residents in louisiana. let them know how bigoted you are and see how the gay guy is gonna kick your ass. the strtaight guys who make comments like yours are usually the softy ones anyways...

i bet the gay guy in louisiana can spank your bigoted filthy a-s-s so hard that you'd end up liking it and yerning for it you punk.

fightingspirit said:
yeah.....pretty mediocre and unimaginative, especially the bigoted part (."..cool but one is gay..dont ask dont tell..."..whatever)...listen, you're full of it and you are a homophobe and guys like you are probably insecure about there own sexuality.

gay men work twice as hard to get where they are in conservative professions. you gotta give credit for that guy who made it to OMFS in louisiana. let's see how you're gonna feel about the filthy "poem" you posted when you have a son who turns out gay.

one last thing: if you're a real man, which you arent, then read this poem to the residents in louisiana. let them know how bigoted you are and see how the gay guy is gonna kick your ass. the strtaight guys who make comments like yours are usually the softy ones anyways...

i bet the gay guy in louisiana can spank your bigoted filthy a-s-s so hard that you'd end up liking it and yerning for it you punk.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

fightingspirit said:
This guy is a troll. Aphistis, time to say goodbye to this fool. A week ago, he took the opposite stance, inciting gay-supporters in another thread. He's got to go...

fightingspirit said:

ban·ter ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bntr)
n.
Good-humored, playful conversation.

v. ban·tered, ban·ter·ing, ban·ters
v.
To speak to in a playful or teasing way.

v.
To exchange mildly teasing remarks.

banter·er n.
banter·ing·ly adv.
Synonyms: banter, chaff, josh, kid, rag, razz, rib
These verbs mean to poke fun good-humoredly

douche bag

n : a small syringe with detachable nozzles; used for vaginal lavage and enemas [syn: douche]

This thread has depleted its potential.

Just as a reminder to a few of the folks who've posted here over the last few days, personal attacks & inflammatory rhetoric aren't allowed. We like giving the dent res forum some extra latitude to encourage frank discussion, but stuff like the tail end of this thread is still over the line. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.