Pitt Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmz6

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for those that have interviewed/will interview there...

are they big on ethics? are they big on health care topics?
or r they mainly interested on your app?

thanks
m

Members don't see this ad.

You will have three interviews:
1. Faculty (closed file, personal statement only) 30mintues-1hr
2. Student (closed file personal statemnt only) 30minutes-1hr
3. ADCOM member (director of admissions or associate director) 15minutes

Interviews at Pitt are generally low stress. The faculty interview is the most variable, mine was really low key and pretty amazing but some of my classmates had some nasty basic science questions thrown at them. The student should be low key but keep in mind that it has the same weight as the faculty interview. The adcom interview is mainly to answer questions and put a face to paper come decision time. come prepared with questions for that one. I wouldn't say that there is a particular emphasis on ethic (like at U Washington) but be ready for both health care topics and ethics. In general it should be a low stress day. the interviewers are under directives to ask find out about you as a person rather than focusing on academic achievements (GPA, MCAT, etc.). Good luck and remember if you have an interview already, you are in a good position. cheers.

Originally posted by indiamacbean
You will have three interviews:
1. Faculty (closed file, personal statement only) 30mintues-1hr
2. Student (closed file personal statemnt only) 30minutes-1hr
3. ADCOM member (director of admissions or associate director) 15minutes

Interviews at Pitt are generally low stress. The faculty interview is the most variable, mine was really low key and pretty amazing but some of my classmates had some nasty basic science questions thrown at them. The student should be low key but keep in mind that it has the same weight as the faculty interview. The adcom interview is mainly to answer questions and put a face to paper come decision time. come prepared with questions for that one. I wouldn't say that there is a particular emphasis on ethic (like at U Washington) but be ready for both health care topics and ethics. In general it should be a low stress day. the interviewers are under directives to ask find out about you as a person rather than focusing on academic achievements (GPA, MCAT, etc.). Good luck and remember if you have an interview already, you are in a good position. cheers.

Hey there -
That isn't totally accurate - the student interviews (and I believe the faculty interviews) don't get your personal statement. When I go in to interview, all I know is your name, your school, and your address (I am assuming it is the AMCAS address - sometimes it is where the person is from, and sometimes it is the address where they live at school)...
We are told not to make the interview stressful, and I assume that the faculty are told the same thing - we have several questions they want us to ask, but mainly the questions are there to add a sort of "direction" to the conversation...
This means that the interviewer doesn't know anything about grades, MCATs, etc - we are also told that those kinds of things shouldn't be the direction of the conversation. Your "stats" are in your application - the interview is to find out stuff that ISN'T revealed by stats...

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year when I interviewed, i know that my faculty interviewer had a copy of my PS because he read me sections of it to ask questions. You are right about the student interviewers though. my bad. shouldn't you be studying cardiology right now anyway instead of wasting time on here? just kidding. cheers

I think the interviewer are big on the following: Common Sense, humility, and maturity.
I think every person i've come across, who's in a position to interview candidates, looks for these things. They arent looking for a budding bioethicist, or a little computer with legs. Theyre looking for mature people who can help people who are in dire need of help, both medical, and emotional...

(crap, I should really be studying anatomy right now...)

Pitt is big on working in groups, because you learn so much by working with your classmates (formally in PBLs and informally). So be prepared to speak about that aspect of your experiences.

Also, make sure you show that you have a life outside of school and are not an antisocial nerd. I always got asked what I like to do for fun (e.g. fave books, cartoons, etc.).

good luck!
sunflower

Originally posted by ebaydove
I think the interviewer are big on the following: Common Sense, humility, and maturity.
I think every person i've come across, who's in a position to interview candidates, looks for these things. They arent looking for a budding bioethicist, or a little computer with legs. Theyre looking for mature people who can help people who are in dire need of help, both medical, and emotional...

Actually, I am looking for a little computer with legs (like the one from bloom county). Where can I find one? ;)

right about now, I wish that i was a little computer with legs. know what I mean, Dr. O? Just plug me in Matrix style and let that pelvic anatomy come the easy way.

Originally posted by indiamacbean
Just plug me in Matrix style and let that pelvic anatomy come the easy way.

The plastic bag/orange lecture wasn't clear enough for you? Sheesh...first years these days (j/k)

I just got back from my Pitt interview yesterday. It was great! It was a lot of fun and it sounds like a great school. It actually was pretty low stress (and you have to understand, I'm not just saying that. It's true. I was a nervous wreck going into it, hardly slept at all the night before.), I didn't even fidget at all! :D

There weren't any hard questions. Just the usual getting to know you stuff. Why do you want to be a doctor? When you visit your parents, what do they cook for you? Nothing about science, ethics, or the state of health care. Piece of cake. It was a pretty long day, though.

Thank for the info guys...

i was a nervous wreck but feel more confident now.

hope it went well for you sooner!

peace,
m