Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pitt Med Students-Housing

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nap, May 24, 2002.

1. nap

nap Member

Im going to start at Pitt this August. Where do you recommend I live? I think that I would like to get a 1 bedroom apartment. Any suggestions?

thanks so much!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cjt615

cjt615 Member

Hey--

Im starting at Pitt in August too, and I have the same question. I've heard about Ruskin Hall, how are the apartments there? Do they tend to fill up quickly? I've checked out apartments.com, and there seem to be some great places around Pitt for less than 500/mo.
    Any advice from current Pitt students?

CJT

4. tonem

tonem Senior Member

Ruskin is proabably already full. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason in who gets a place and who doesn't.

Most students live in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. Both have easy access to Pitt via bus (free w/ student ID) and both are about 15 minutes by car...parking is kind of tough in Oakland though.

Shadyside has more of a young professional feel...more apartments etc... Walnut Street and Ellsworth (shopping, dining, bars)are both in Shadyside. Squirrel Hill is mostly large beautiful homes with a smattering of rentals/apartments. It has more of a upper-middle class family atmosphere.

As you move out from those areas, housing is a lot cheaper but access to Pitt is a little more (not much) difficult.

5. nap

nap Member

How does one go about finding an available place in Shadyside? ARe there particular apartment complexes that are better to look at? Certain streets? Should one look online, or just go there one day and search?

6. tonem

tonem Senior Member

The university owns an apartment building on Walnut St. You can ask the same people who run Ruskin about available apartments. The unofficial Pittmed webpage has a section on housing. Franklin West is a company that buys old mansions and turns them into apartment buildings. They are probably the nicest and best run buildings in Shadyside. On the flip side they are probably the most expensive (which is realtive depending on where you are coming from). Try sending an email to the email list for new students..you might get some answers there as well