Pitt (OOS) vs. SIU (IL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beeepbooop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! On December 3rd, I got accepted to multiple schools and the two I'm stuck between are Pitt and SIU. I was born and raised in PA (my parents still live in the state) but have been living in Chicago for the past two years, so I'm an IL resident. Because I'm connected to both state, I have support systems close to both schools.

The schools themselves:
- Pitt: I adored Pitt from the time I got my interview invitation to the moment I got my acceptance. The labs/clinics are updated, they offer unique courses, like a dental anesthesia course, have tons of dental clubs/frats, and they have a bunch of nearby facilities for students to take advantage of, like the student gym.
- SIU: I didn't know much about SIU going into my interview, but I was pleasantly surprised with it since the only thing I knew before was "middle of nowhere!!!" The labs are updated and they have this anatomy computer thing that they've begun to use to facilitate learning anatomy. The clinic looked fine, not super new, but not old by any means. The student who did my tour said the students are really active in ASDA and there are perks for the students (like gyms) at the Edwardsville campus that's 20 minutes away. SIU doesn't have residents which they cite to be advantageous since then the dental students get all the cases.
The surrounding areas:
- Pitt: I like Pittsburgh a lot and it would be nice to have my parents closer than they are now (they're 3.5 hrs from Pitt--close, but not too close). I have a number of friends who have lived in the area but since moved away and they love the city.
- SIU: Alton wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I'm by no means a diehard city girl, but I do worry that the area is a bit isolated. I'm a non-traditional student and my serious SO will be moving with me so while I absolutely want to pick the right school for me, I don't want him to be the sole non-dental student in the area (it really seemed like the town was the dental school). Despite this, I realize this would only be for four years. And ho knows, maybe I'd like small town life.
Pros/Cons:
-Pitt:
-Pros: I am absolutely in love with the school so much and feel excited at the thought of attending; my family is nearby and I have friends in Pittsburgh; I'll be in the city; I'll be able to more easily get recommendations if I pursue a specialty
-Cons: even with a $10k/year scholarship, the total cost over four years is ~$70k more than SIU​
-SIU:
-Pros: it's significantly cheaper than Pitt and taking into account savings, I'll be able to graduate with only ~$100k in debt (only, lol); I have family friends in St. Louis; I'll be able to return to Chicago to see friends periodically; I'll get no competition from residents
-Cons: I don't feel excited to attend SIU like I do Pitt; I'll be in small-town America; I won't have as many unique courses to take; I'd probably have to get a car
I want to make a responsible decision, but I also want to follow my heart. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go to Pitt!
It sounds like everything is telling you to go to Pitt other than SIU being in state and the cheaper option. I think you should be excited about the school that you're going to spend the next 4 years at, because you will probably spend more time at school than at home.
I know it's a really hard decision but I hope this helps some!

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure you can get in-state tuition for SIU? Some states grant you "resident status", but do not grant you "resident for in-state tuition purposes" unless you have lived in the state for like 5 years, independent, etc.