Pitt Sent Me A Secondary!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaos

Web Crawler
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMG! They sent me a secondary AFTER the much-heard-of rejection letter back in late July!! WTF?? I mean, it could be a good thing. I guess it was a mistake after all! Good thing I e-mailed them!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, I missed the earlier story - Pitt (as in Univ. of Pittsburgh?) rejected you but has now sent you a secondary? Strange. I know a friend of mine (oldman) was rejected by Stanford, then was sent a secondary (and then rejected for real). Hopefully in your case it's just a mistake. But if I were you I'd demand to speak with the Dean of Admissions, explain how what they've done is a sign of bad faith, and that they should waive your application fee. It'd really suck if the first rejection was sortof warranted (by Pitt's standards) but they then realized they needed more money. But, from the material I've read from Pitt, I doubt they'd do that - they seem to be relatively human to their students.

Hmm...U have a point. That's a good idea. I had really given up hope on them until now. It's really a shock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another funny thing about Pitt. I filled out their secondary and a couple of weeks later they offered me an interview. A few weeks after that, they sent me another secondary!

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
Another funny thing about Pitt. I filled out their secondary and a couple of weeks later they offered me an interview. A few weeks after that, they sent me another secondary!

sounds like they smoke crack there..

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus

:eek: Really makes u wonder what's going on with them!

BTW, would u consider deciding whether or not to end a pregnancy as a "moral/ethical dilemma"? Cuz that's the only one I can think of right now...

Originally posted by kaos

:eek: Really makes u wonder what's going on with them!

BTW, would u consider deciding whether or not to end a pregnancy as a "moral/ethical dilemma"? Cuz that's the only one I can think of right now...

We can't expect schools to run smoothly all the time. Sometimes they send multiple brochures or secondaries. I wouldn't get too worried about it unless they give you both an acceptance AND a rejection letter. :)

BTW I think that pregnancy case is certainly a dilemma, but you should tread carefully, as it is a touchy subject.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher

BTW I think that pregnancy case is certainly a dilemma, but you should tread carefully, as it is a touchy subject.

How so? What do u mean? I'm really out of ideas :( What would u recommend about it?

if you decided to terminate the pregnancy, i'd think twice about writing it. some people reading it might not like it. if you don't mind that it might (or might not depending on who reads it) lead to rejection, feel free to write it. i do think it's a bit touchy to write about. even though your decision shouldn't influence their decision, it is possible that it would.

This is so awesome!! I remember how pissed you were about it, and I feel happy for you. :)

However, I would be careul about the whole pregnancy thing. Ptt seems like a liberal school, but you never know what kind of a person you'd be interviewing with. I am sorry that you had to have an abortion. I know it's not easy to go through it, a friend of mine had to do it and she was really heartbroken.

In any case, you go girl!!!!
Hug.gif

Oooohhhhhhhhhh.....I see. So it's ok. Whew! I wrote it; and I didn't terminate. Good. Yay. Thanks so much for the advice! The only thing I was really concerned about was the fact that I HAVE a little kid now. I was worried it would affect my chances of getting in.

aawww, you got a kiddie. How old is she/he?

how does it matter? unless they ask, they don't even need to know.

And if they ask, you let them know that in the past, your kid has not been a factor to you getting bad grades, and it's not going to do so in med school either. Furthermore, if asked, let them know you have TONS of support through med school so your focus will remain with the books.

Yeah, thanks u all for the good advice. I'd totally given up on them because they hadn't responded to my e-mail for like a month. But I guess it paid off!

I have a daughter. She's 2 and a half. :love: I didn't want to mention her, and I tried not to at all. This is the first secondary I'm writing about her in, because that was the biggest moral/ethical dilemma --or the only one I could think of. I hope it doesn't hurt my chances.

Originally posted by kaos
I hope it doesn't hurt my chances.

Congrats on getting the secondary after the initial rejection, and kudos to you for accomplishing what you have thus far. I can't imagine doing med school (or pre-med for that matter) with a child. But you've obviously got the hang of it! :)

You might want to do an SDN search about Pitt and see how welcoming they are to non-trads. I think the abortion question is a very suitable topic for the essay, and the course you chose means you won't alienate any pro-lifer who might be reading your essay, but it does give them a chance to ask whether your family life will interfere with your studies. But if they would reject you for that reason, then you really don't want to go there anyway, because it wouldn't be a very supportive environment. Best of luck with all your applications!!:)

there is this book of personal statements out there with examples from dartmouth's incoming class. one of the essays was about a woman who had a child out of wedlock at the age of 16...and how she got through college and high school with her. the essay was very mature and frank. honestly, it's one of the best personal statements i have ever come acrossand she obviously sent it to ALL of her schools...i was striving to write something that personal and mature the whole time i wrote my statement. anyway, i think if you present it the way she did, they would never be able to turn to you down!!! i was in complete awe of her by the time i was done reading...i hope i am nearly as capable of managing things when i am older and have a family as she was at the age of 16 as a student.

also, dartmouth is obviously, therefore, at least an anecdotally (sp?) receptive school to moms applying to med school.

i think it actually something that can be used to your avantage...and besides, any med school who refuses you for that is not one that you would want to be raising a daughter while enrolled in!! best of luck, kaos!