Pitt Students Low Self Esteem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zod4321

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pitt's a great school but i'm beginning to wonder whether pitt students seem to have a lack of self-esteem as there seems to be a disturbingly large # of Pitt Vs XXX threads where i see mostly pitt students defending their choice? I was initially considering pitt, but after realizing this trend, I'm beginning to worry that i'll be around a bunch of students who would bolt in a split second if given the chance to go somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt's a great school but i'm beginning to wonder whether pitt students seem to have a lack of self-esteem as there seems to be a disturbingly large # of Pitt Vs XXX threads where i see mostly pitt students defending their choice? I was initially considering pitt, but after realizing this trend, I'm beginning to worry that i'll be around a bunch of students who would bolt in a split second if given the chance to go somewhere else.

I know nothing about Pitt, but the fact that a bunch of students come on an anonymous pre-med forum to talk praise about the school is probably a good thing.

A lot of inaccurate or simply false information gets perpetuated in those X vs. Y threads, since contributions come from people who gain most of their information from second-hand sources (i.e. Interview Feedback). The students probably just want to set the record straight about the school.

I'm fairly certain a great deal of the concern is with Pitt's location (at least it was one of my concerns). Pitt does not have a particularly different curriculum from other places, so that is not going to be a huge issue. I suspect that if Pitt was literally picked up and moved into Boston/Chicago/NYC, it would no longer be the topic of so many X vs. Y threads (although it would lose its merit of being the only med school in its area). That said, I don't see how it reflects poorly on the self esteem of Pitt's students for them to be sharing how happy they are to be at their school...

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of inaccurate or simply false information gets perpetuated in those X vs. Y threads, since contributions come from people who gain most of their information from second-hand sources (i.e. Interview Feedback). The students probably just want to set the record straight about the school.

That's exactly why I'm on those threads. I hate seeing people making completely false claims about stuff that they have no idea about. I only answer direct questions or dispute the myths/lies that are thrown on there.

haha exactly, i got the same impression. all the kids either going to pitt or accepted at pitt are so eager to defend their choice of school..makes you wonder if it's an issue of self-esteem. they are also very derogatory towards other schools, esp in these vs. pitt forums, which further validates my impressions. my faculty interviewer at pitt also incessantly asked me why i wouldn't go to another, more "reputable" med school. i thought it was absurd how he didn't focus on why i wanted to come to pitt. instead he was asking why i would turn down these other schools, and it was very early in the app cycle before i even received any acceptances.

I for one was pretty jazzed about getting into Pitt, in fact I turned down interviews at Sinai, Gtown, and Jefferson, and declined my acceptance at NYU.

But hey, go where your heart leads :)

And I'm pretty sure I don't suffer from low self esteem....or do I? Or maybe I just lack self-objectivity..Ah well.

Good luck deciding!

seriously? the reason we come to these forums is to advocate for our school. other students come to advocate for their schools too.

we love pitt. i couldn't be happier with my decision to come here and i want to let other people know that. pitt is a school that isn't always recognized for how great it is (maybe because of its location?) so i think it's important to spread the message. and if someone is trying to decide between pitt and another school, why not try to make them want to come to pitt?

low self esteem? not at all.

maybe because of its location??? BOOOOO. haha. i love pittsburgh. and wish that I had been accepted to Pitt.

when I interviewed there, however, I did get the feeling that some of the students I met didn't love being at the school. maybe its because the faculty is so consumed with research? i'm really not entirely sure. I loved the school when I visited, but I did get a bit of a bad vibe from the students.

Of the 12 or so interviews i attended, pitt probably had the coolest students i met. Super chill, down to earth, extremely welcoming, DOWN TO PARTY and completely and absolutely devoid of pretentiousness. I won't be at Pitt since I'll be at my cheaper state school, but I dont think I could come up with anything negative to say about the school. Its a great school all around and their hospital system is freakin awesome. Even Pittsburgh was cool. Their bars had $1 beers. ...ONe freaking dollar. Are you kidding me? Go Pitt, you're awesome. :thumbup:

Pittsburgh is the 2nd cloudiest city in the country, after Seattle. I think that just adds to the decrepit, old, steel mill feel. Furthermore, the amount the Pitt and PA have been in the news regarding its degrading economic condition, the city leaves much to desire.

I do have a few friends at Upitt ugrad that wish they weren't there. But it's what you make of it.

However, the school is EXCELLENT. I wish I had gotten in right after my interview. Stupid WL...

As a native of Pittsburgh, I feel that I have to go to bat for my hometown. Pitt gets a bad rap for weather and overall dreariness. The people that perpetuate these ideas are those who think that Pittsburgh is a decrepit steel mill-infested town ready to die or those whose only knowledge of Pittsburgh comes from friends of friends of friends. The reality is that not one steel mill or large plant of any kind remains in the downtown vicinity, save for a cement processing plant and a few warehouses here and there. Most of the city's riverfront has been transformed in recent years to tech industry headquarters, mixed use retail areas, housing, and parkland. Sure, the old industry towns that line the rivers outside of the city continue to struggle and are not pretty to look at, but the trend of revitalization in the region is certainly growing. And the truth is that you will hardly ever find youself in one of these run-down towns unless, 1) you are assigned to UPMC Braddock or another satellite for a rotation, 2) you are hopelessly lost, or 3) you are grossly misguided and can't find a place to live in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, or Oakland (the neighborhoods surrounding the Pitt campus).

It is true that clouds often descend on the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. But the talk in recent message boards about the negativite weather in Pittsburgh suggest that Pittsburghers are trapped in a dark, monsoon-like state. A more appropriate description of Pittsburgh weather is overcast; the sky may be subject to cloud coverage, but this state is transient and plenty of sun makes its way to the ground level. The biggest drawback of the weather is the humidity in the summer. There isn't a particularly large amount of rain in the Burgh; when it rains, it pours, but you don't often see persistent, annoying rain showers that other East Coast cities experience.

Regarding city life, I have been hard pressed to find neighborhoods as pleasant as Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and Oakland. I have lived in Boston and New York in recent years, and I have not come across a place that combines quality of housing, affordability, safety, amenities, etc. as well as the aforementioned neighborhoods. You can live inexpensively in Pittsburgh and live well. Parking permits are easy to obtain in city neighborhoods, and there is ample on-street parking except in the immediate area around Pitt's campus. Squirrel Hill is a largely Jewish area with nice houses, parks, and lively shopping district. Shadyside is a younger area filled with restaurants, boutiques, and trendy shops. Oakland is a very diverse area, not as polished, home to countless Pitt students as well as old-school folks who have lived there forever. There are no shortages of social opportunities, and you can bet that going out on the town will be much much cheaper in Pittsburgh than in most other cities. The person who discussed the prevalence of $1 beers knows what's up. The only bad thing about the social scene is that Pittsburgh is behind the times with anti-smoking legislation; plan to come home from the bars smelling like a cigarette, unfortunately. Finally, one of my favorite aspects of the city is abundance of green space. Frick Park and Schenley Park are incredible, bottom line. Pittsburgh has one of the best urban park systems in the country when you consider miles of trails, acreage, and quality/maintenance.

Since I am not a medical student at Pittsburgh (although I may be next year), I cannot give a meaningful position on the quality of life/academics at the school. However, I have family members/friends who are part the medical community at Pitt, and I have done research at Pitt, so I can attest to the fact that Pitt is a first class institution. I think a lot of criticism of the Pitt system is that UPMC is a giant, powerful corporation in Western PA. A lot of what is good for UPMC isn't great for the Western PA economy since they are tax-exempt. In a business sense, there are some tensions in the region as a result. Setting these issues aside, the opportunities Pitt provides for students, employees, and faculty are limitless. They enjoy tremendous funding for medical pursuits, and they seem to put this cash to good use. The recent construction of several medical buildings in Oakland and a huge new Children's hospital in Bloomfield support this sentiment.

From my experience, the people at Pitt are good representatives of the region. They are friendly, driven, and proud of their institution. Pittsburgh is definitely not a fast-paced town, and because of that I think the school attracts people who are chill and more laid-back. However, the resources are in place to make the most of your experience.

In college a lot of my friends made fun of me for having Pittsburgh pride. They joked that Pittsburghers love the Steelers/other sports teams so much because they are the only things worth holding onto in the city. Few took me seriously when I described my [city] neighborhood, Squirrel Hill, and its parks, its golf course overlooking the city skyline, its pretty houses with spacious backyards, and its good restaurants/shops. Those who visited me at various points throughout college quickly changed their tune. It's easy to knock a city when the only thing you know about is that it used to be a steel town. It's also easy to refute claims of progression and development in the region when you haven't actually seen said progression or development. Pittsburgh isn't on par with big American cities like NYC, Boston, or Chicago, but it more than holds its own.

To address the initial topic, I think at any school you'll find people who are quick to defend their choice and sing praises about their school. Also, don't overlook the fact that a lot of the Pitt versus XYZ threads are between two of the best schools in the country; who wouldn't be hard-pressed to make a decision? Who knows though, maybe I'm just a low self esteem-having a$$hole who cannot think of anything better in the world to do than defend Pittsburgh on an internet forum. Just my two (very long) cents.

If you are seriously reconsidering what medical school to attend based upon some garbage you saw on this website from anonymous internet posters, I've got a bridge to sell you...

I interviewed and was accepted to Pitt. Very nice school. I liked it a lot although I withdrew about a month ago.

I also got a something of a sense of what the OP was talking about. I went to an ivy for undergrad and during my interview the student interviewer who was SO awesome said, "A friend of mine [a classmate] likes to say that kids from your school take a 'step down' when they come to Pitt while everyone else [students from non-ivy schools] take a step up." I was just like, what??? I just chalked it up to a poor joke with bad timing but it did come across as like "we couldn't get into higher ranked schools" when you frame it within our discussion (why Pitt and why the interviewer chose Pitt).

Anyway, I still thought it was a nice school. The simulation center was amazing!

Well, damn. I didn't get this impression at all. I was interviewed by a really cool guy who decided pitt over northwestern! That's gotta tell you something. I found the students to be a little weird (not people I would see myself hanging with) but very smart nonetheless. Maybe it's the environment...smoggy/gloomy/rainy but very cool and up and coming city. I really wished I'd gotten in. It was my second choice, but now that I'm on the waitlist, I'm not holding by breath.
I guess I can understand the OPs statement in context to the incoming class of 2008, but not in regards to the current students. I found the students to be a bunch of really nerdy but overly friendly people. Maybe your interviewer just had dry humor.:thumbdown:

As a native of Pittsburgh, I feel that I have to go to bat for my hometown. Pitt gets a bad rap for weather and overall dreariness. The people that perpetuate these ideas are those who think that Pittsburgh is a decrepit steel mill-infested town ready to die or those whose only knowledge of Pittsburgh comes from friends of friends of friends. The reality is that not one steel mill or large plant of any kind remains in the downtown vicinity, save for a cement processing plant and a few warehouses here and there. Most of the city's riverfront has been transformed in recent years to tech industry headquarters, mixed use retail areas, housing, and parkland. Sure, the old industry towns that line the rivers outside of the city continue to struggle and are not pretty to look at, but the trend of revitalization in the region is certainly growing. And the truth is that you will hardly ever find youself in one of these run-down towns unless, 1) you are assigned to UPMC Braddock or another satellite for a rotation, 2) you are hopelessly lost, or 3) you are grossly misguided and can't find a place to live in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, or Oakland (the neighborhoods surrounding the Pitt campus).

It is true that clouds often descend on the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. But the talk in recent message boards about the negativite weather in Pittsburgh suggest that Pittsburghers are trapped in a dark, monsoon-like state. A more appropriate description of Pittsburgh weather is overcast; the sky may be subject to cloud coverage, but this state is transient and plenty of sun makes its way to the ground level. The biggest drawback of the weather is the humidity in the summer. There isn't a particularly large amount of rain in the Burgh; when it rains, it pours, but you don't often see persistent, annoying rain showers that other East Coast cities experience.

Regarding city life, I have been hard pressed to find neighborhoods as pleasant as Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and Oakland. I have lived in Boston and New York in recent years, and I have not come across a place that combines quality of housing, affordability, safety, amenities, etc. as well as the aforementioned neighborhoods. You can live inexpensively in Pittsburgh and live well. Parking permits are easy to obtain in city neighborhoods, and there is ample on-street parking except in the immediate area around Pitt's campus. Squirrel Hill is a largely Jewish area with nice houses, parks, and lively shopping district. Shadyside is a younger area filled with restaurants, boutiques, and trendy shops. Oakland is a very diverse area, not as polished, home to countless Pitt students as well as old-school folks who have lived there forever. There are no shortages of social opportunities, and you can bet that going out on the town will be much much cheaper in Pittsburgh than in most other cities. The person who discussed the prevalence of $1 beers knows what's up. The only bad thing about the social scene is that Pittsburgh is behind the times with anti-smoking legislation; plan to come home from the bars smelling like a cigarette, unfortunately. Finally, one of my favorite aspects of the city is abundance of green space. Frick Park and Schenley Park are incredible, bottom line. Pittsburgh has one of the best urban park systems in the country when you consider miles of trails, acreage, and quality/maintenance.

Since I am not a medical student at Pittsburgh (although I may be next year), I cannot give a meaningful position on the quality of life/academics at the school. However, I have family members/friends who are part the medical community at Pitt, and I have done research at Pitt, so I can attest to the fact that Pitt is a first class institution. I think a lot of criticism of the Pitt system is that UPMC is a giant, powerful corporation in Western PA. A lot of what is good for UPMC isn't great for the Western PA economy since they are tax-exempt. In a business sense, there are some tensions in the region as a result. Setting these issues aside, the opportunities Pitt provides for students, employees, and faculty are limitless. They enjoy tremendous funding for medical pursuits, and they seem to put this cash to good use. The recent construction of several medical buildings in Oakland and a huge new Children's hospital in Bloomfield support this sentiment.

From my experience, the people at Pitt are good representatives of the region. They are friendly, driven, and proud of their institution. Pittsburgh is definitely not a fast-paced town, and because of that I think the school attracts people who are chill and more laid-back. However, the resources are in place to make the most of your experience.

In college a lot of my friends made fun of me for having Pittsburgh pride. They joked that Pittsburghers love the Steelers/other sports teams so much because they are the only things worth holding onto in the city. Few took me seriously when I described my [city] neighborhood, Squirrel Hill, and its parks, its golf course overlooking the city skyline, its pretty houses with spacious backyards, and its good restaurants/shops. Those who visited me at various points throughout college quickly changed their tune. It's easy to knock a city when the only thing you know about is that it used to be a steel town. It's also easy to refute claims of progression and development in the region when you haven't actually seen said progression or development. Pittsburgh isn't on par with big American cities like NYC, Boston, or Chicago, but it more than holds its own.

To address the initial topic, I think at any school you'll find people who are quick to defend their choice and sing praises about their school. Also, don't overlook the fact that a lot of the Pitt versus XYZ threads are between two of the best schools in the country; who wouldn't be hard-pressed to make a decision? Who knows though, maybe I'm just a low self esteem-having a$$hole who cannot think of anything better in the world to do than defend Pittsburgh on an internet forum. Just my two (very long) cents.

amen! Pitsburghers for Lyfe! I think once people live in the city, they get a different picture of it. But i think it takes people who have grown up here to really appreciate it. Everyone I know from highschool who has moved away, and never thought they'd come back to pittsburgh, now can't wait to come home. i hope more people give it a chance, and i wish that i was able to stick around next year. I hope you end up getting in! :)

I've always wondered about the prevalence of Pitt vx. X threads. I am guilty of finding some of them interesting (e.g., Pitt Vs. NU)). I always thought pitt was considered one of the most premier medical schools in the country. Heck I was so stoked to get in. It seemed like an impossibility at first.

OH WELL! Pitt is sick!!!!