pitt v. uchicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niceguy3521

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you got into pitt would you still go to an interview at uchicago?
the rankings say pitt is better and i have heard some strange things about the student body at uchicago and the neighborhood. however, is uchicago known for giving merit scholarships? that could tip the scale...

Members don't see this ad.

niceguy3521 said:
if you got into pitt would you still go to an interview at uchicago?
the rankings say pitt is better and i have heard some strange things about the student body at uchicago and the neighborhood. however, is uchicago known for giving merit scholarships? that could tip the scale...

I would! Don't live your life by the USNEWS rankings--pritzker isn't ranked all that much lower than pitt, and it has a little bit better rating by residency directors for example. And it's in Chicago, not Pittsburg. No offense to anyone who likes the place, but I've never known anyone who's been to Pittsburg who has nice things to say about the place...

Keep your options open. I'd only decline an interview if I was sure that I wouldn't ever go there over where I'm already accepted, but maybe that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should at least check it out...nice and stress free. I hear great things. What am I doing on here? I should be studying for the MCAT. :eek:

-RR

Hmmm.. would I rather spend my next four years in Pittsburgh or in Chicago? On location alone I would go to Pritzker.

If you have the financial means I would go. It's silly to not go because one school is 3 spots better than another. They are both excellent, top 20 institutions and you should choose a school based on their merits, not on some silly, hard-to-understand metric of what school is better than another according to a for-profit magazine.

thegenius said:
If you have the financial means I would go. It's silly to not go because one school is 3 spots better than another. They are both excellent, top 20 institutions and you should choose a school based on their merits, not on some silly, hard-to-understand metric of what school is better than another according to a for-profit magazine.
thegenius, I wish you had left your mdapplicants profile up. Now I've been playing sudoku, and it's incredibly addictive. :(

QofQuimica said:
thegenius, I wish you had left your mdapplicants profile up. Now I've been playing sudoku, and it's incredibly addictive. :(

Ha! I had a business trip across the country last week, and I printed out 14 Sudoku puzzles (medium,hard,evil) and finished all of them on the plane rides.

I'm going back to my parents tomorrow for the holidays, and I'm going to print out another batch. It's a great 30-60 minute brain distraction.

BTW, I could swich my signature to http://www.4q.cc/vin, those factoids are hilarious.

GO!!!!! You might regret later on. It'll only be a couple hundred more bucks for the trip, you'll have a good day or two in Chicago, and the visit may cause you to fall in love with the school.

Congratulations on Pitt, by the way!

I would still check it out. Note that UofC has a more of a research emphasis than clinical.

thegenius said:
Ha! I had a business trip across the country last week, and I printed out 14 Sudoku puzzles (medium,hard,evil) and finished all of them on the plane rides.

I'm going back to my parents tomorrow for the holidays, and I'm going to print out another batch. It's a great 30-60 minute brain distraction.

BTW, I could swich my signature to http://www.4q.cc/vin, those factoids are hilarious.
So far I've made it up to the medium level. I have been able to finish several of those. I haven't tried any of the hard or evil ones yet.... :scared:

As for the OP's question, I would go, unless Pitt was your top choice and you know you won't attend Chicago over Pitt. The rankings of the schools are a ridiculous way to choose in general, but especially in a case like this where they are essentially equal. And take what other people say with a grain of salt. They aren't you, and they don't share your values in terms of what school will be the best fit. Sorry, there are no short cuts to picking the right school. You'll just have to go see what Chicago is like for yourself if you're interested. I for one really liked the students there and Hyde Park, too. And yes, they do give scholarships. ;)

Well I would pich UChicago over Pitt anyday, but that's me. I would pick UChicago over a lot of "highly ranked" schools, like U Wash or Duke or Johns Hopkins, for example. Worried about reputation or match lists? Theirs are AMAZING.

U chicago has a great feel, great students, part of a great bigger university, in a great city, with great scholarships.. :D

go for it. you may fall i love?? or just be reassured that Pitt is the place for you.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Hmmm.. would I rather spend my next four years in Pittsburgh or in Chicago? On location alone I would go to Pritzker.
southside chicago? i dunno man.