1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

pitt v. uchicago

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by niceguy3521, Dec 23, 2005.

1. niceguy3521

niceguy3521 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

if you got into pitt would you still go to an interview at uchicago?
    the rankings say pitt is better and i have heard some strange things about the student body at uchicago and the neighborhood. however, is uchicago known for giving merit scholarships? that could tip the scale...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. BoogieGnome

BoogieGnome Member
    5+ Year Member

I would! Don't live your life by the USNEWS rankings--pritzker isn't ranked all that much lower than pitt, and it has a little bit better rating by residency directors for example. And it's in Chicago, not Pittsburg. No offense to anyone who likes the place, but I've never known anyone who's been to Pittsburg who has nice things to say about the place...

Keep your options open. I'd only decline an interview if I was sure that I wouldn't ever go there over where I'm already accepted, but maybe that's just me.

5. Zymogen

Zymogen Sweet Like Bear Meat
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You should at least check it out...nice and stress free. I hear great things. What am I doing on here? I should be studying for the MCAT. :eek:

-RR

6. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmmm.. would I rather spend my next four years in Pittsburgh or in Chicago? On location alone I would go to Pritzker.

7. thegenius

thegenius Senior Wharf Rat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have the financial means I would go. It's silly to not go because one school is 3 spots better than another. They are both excellent, top 20 institutions and you should choose a school based on their merits, not on some silly, hard-to-understand metric of what school is better than another according to a for-profit magazine.

8. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    thegenius, I wish you had left your mdapplicants profile up. Now I've been playing sudoku, and it's incredibly addictive. :(

9. thegenius

thegenius Senior Wharf Rat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ha! I had a business trip across the country last week, and I printed out 14 Sudoku puzzles (medium,hard,evil) and finished all of them on the plane rides.

I'm going back to my parents tomorrow for the holidays, and I'm going to print out another batch. It's a great 30-60 minute brain distraction.

BTW, I could swich my signature to http://www.4q.cc/vin, those factoids are hilarious.

10. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

GO!!!!! You might regret later on. It'll only be a couple hundred more bucks for the trip, you'll have a good day or two in Chicago, and the visit may cause you to fall in love with the school.

Congratulations on Pitt, by the way!

11. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would still check it out. Note that UofC has a more of a research emphasis than clinical.

12. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    So far I've made it up to the medium level. I have been able to finish several of those. I haven't tried any of the hard or evil ones yet.... :scared:

As for the OP's question, I would go, unless Pitt was your top choice and you know you won't attend Chicago over Pitt. The rankings of the schools are a ridiculous way to choose in general, but especially in a case like this where they are essentially equal. And take what other people say with a grain of salt. They aren't you, and they don't share your values in terms of what school will be the best fit. Sorry, there are no short cuts to picking the right school. You'll just have to go see what Chicago is like for yourself if you're interested. I for one really liked the students there and Hyde Park, too. And yes, they do give scholarships. ;)

13. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well I would pich UChicago over Pitt anyday, but that's me. I would pick UChicago over a lot of "highly ranked" schools, like U Wash or Duke or Johns Hopkins, for example. Worried about reputation or match lists? Theirs are AMAZING.

U chicago has a great feel, great students, part of a great bigger university, in a great city, with great scholarships.. :D

go for it. you may fall i love?? or just be reassured that Pitt is the place for you.

14. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    southside chicago? i dunno man.