Pitt v UMass PURCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reanimated Reapplicant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For some background, I'm a non-trad-ish that's somewhat research inclined and not set in a single direction yet, but feel strongly toward Neuro, PM&R, Ortho, or maybe Addiction. Don't have FA package from Umass yet, but Pitt slightly beat UMass' in-state tuition so COA shouldn't differ too much unless there's a scholarship in play (sike.)

Pitt Pros
- I have met some rad students in my class and already found great roommates
- Pitt is as interested in research as I am, already have some labs I'm looking at, fully funded research summer for most students
-They are ranked higher across the board in every specialty and primary care field I would be interested in

Pitt Cons
-Felt out of place a bit at interview day, however that feeling is hard to uncouple from other difficulties surrounding the day that had nothing to do with the medical school
-Some concern about doing going long distance with partner, but she has been supportive and actually prefers Pitt to Umass, would be willing to move if she likes the vibe and the job market is as good as it looks

Umass Pros
-Partner of 3 years in Boston, parents in Western Massachusetts, I hear a lot about how important social support is during med school
-I would be working with an urban and rural population, a smaller cohort for clinical
-Philosophically, the PURCH program matches the approach I would like to take when caring for patients
-Really felt at ease at the interview day

Umass Cons
-UMass isn't as safe as a bet in case I want to match into one of the above specialties at an urban academic center (partner is in tech, sort of necessary to be in this environment)
-Unable to see any of their second look stuff, no idea how they plan on dealing with Covid and no further data to use due to coming off the WL
- I love New England, but I think that seeing different parts of the country may be beneficial for me too

I tend to agonize over decisions and am just trying to get all the opinions and data I can before making a decision.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think I would go with Pitt. I totally understand the concern with doing long distance, but your SO seems like she would be supportive of your decision should you go with Pitt. Interview days are so weird. I can only remember like 2 people from my interview day who actually matriculated. Second look day might have been a better gauge but obviously this was complicated by the pandemic. Having family close by is usually a positive especially during some of the rockier parts of med school. However, i feel like you might be able to get away with being a little further away, for so long as you can keep contact via Zoom, etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
With the uncertainty behind how PDs will view various applicants for residency program with S1 being P/F, I would go with the more established school. Pitt is a top program, UPMC is a very large hospital, and many research opportunities are present.

These pros you stated are even more serious reasons why I recommend Pitt
"- Pitt is as interested in research as I am, already have some labs I'm looking at, fully funded research summer for most students
-They are ranked higher across the board in every specialty and primary care field I would be interested in "

Finally, Pittsburgh is a great city. I lived not too far from Pitt for four years and would go there on select weekends. Lots to do in the city!

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a very similar situation as you (really just minus the SO) - I had a cheaper offer from a higher ranked school vs UMass, and I went with the higher ranked school. I think you should go with Pitt because of the opportunities it would provide you for your career and because your SO is supportive. Plus I agree - I think it's good for some of us to get out of New England for a bit to experience a new part of the country - we can always go back for residency.

Congrats and good luck regardless of what you choose - both are great schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you come to Pitt I'll watch football games with you, and all your professional dreams will come true. nbd

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users