pitt vs MSSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABSOLUTsher07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pitt is ranked much higher than MSSM, but NYC is so much better than Pittsburgh! What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

you're in-state in pa, and the col is higher in manhattan, so there's going to be a cost difference. maybe around 30k after four years?

Members don't see this ad :)
cost of living is higher in ny but PA is one of the lowest ranked states in funding medical institutions which leads to generally less money for PA med students in aid. Read the Pitt Dean's state of the school address for some info about this (link on the first page of the pitt med website).

cost of living is higher in ny but PA is one of the lowest ranked states in funding medical institutions which leads to generally less money for PA med students in aid. Read the Pitt Dean's state of the school address for some info about this (link on the first page of the pitt med website).

okay, but let's just go straight to the numbers.

http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/future/q_cost_attendance.asp

http://www.mssm.edu/bulletin/admissions/tuition_fees.htm

it looks like i stand corrected on the tuition + fees difference: both are around 33k per year. it's utterly ridiculous for anyone to argue that pittsburgh has a higher col than manhattan, but for some reason mssm budgets less for room and board. i know they probably have subsidized housing, so ultimately at mssm you may pay about the same for housing but more to go out and have fun. if you feel you need a car in pittsburgh (you shouldn't imo), then pitt will probably cost more. otherwise, you'll get free and good public transportation in pittsburgh compared to paying for it in nyc.

so i'd say cost isn't a big factor for this one. but financial aid may be. as with everybody, you'll need to wait to see your offers from each school.

otherwise, i don't think this is a simple decision. i know mssm is supposed to be great for geriatrics, but i'm not sure where else they shine. if there's no difference in financial aid, then i think this one is going to be a "go to second look and then go with your gut."

I live in Pittsburgh. I pay $650 + utilities/month for a 2BR in a good neighborhood, with Central Air, Washer/Dryer in the apartment, security system, off street parking, with free bus fare and major bus routes within a block of my apartment, and walking distance to the best food and clubs in town.

How much would I be paying in NYC?

I live in Pittsburgh. I pay $650 + utilities/month for a 2BR in a good neighborhood, with Central Air, Washer/Dryer in the apartment, security system, off street parking, with free bus fare and major bus routes within a block of my apartment, and walking distance to the best food and clubs in town.

How much would I be paying in NYC?

i couldn't find quotes for the housing rates at mssm (aron hall). but since they budget less than 12k for room and board, this must mean the housing is well-subsidized. the housing is suites with 4-6 bedrooms per bathroom/kitchen/common area, so it won't be as nice as what you can get in pittsburgh or most other cities for the same price. the trade-off is living in nyc, which is a big plus for some.

do you agree that the op won't need a car in pittsburgh? otherwise, i think the op may pay more to go to pitt, but with nicer housing.

If the OP is living near campus, it's not necessary to have a car. First, all of the pesky undergraduates have forgotten that their University ID's work as bus passes, so public transit is free (even out to the airport). Second, Oakland is a major route for a lot of the busses, so you can get pretty much anywhere you need to go. Having a car is nice, but unnecessary. When the weather is warmer, I walk to and from campus.

Depends on whether you want a superior education or superior entertainment opportunities.

I'm a nerd and I want to keep my options open when it comes to applying to specialties, so I'd go with Pitt

Since I'm going to be 120k+ in debt, cost is not really a factor in my decision, but thank you guys for all you info. I've been at Penn State (main campus) for 4 years, so I'm kind of itching to get to a real city (no offense to Pittsburgh, but I've visited it quite a bit and eh). However, as of right now I want to do my residency in derm, so obviously the prestige of the med school matters. What do you guys think about that? Does anyone know any info about residency matching for competitive fields from the two schools?

Since I'm going to be 120k+ in debt, cost is not really a factor in my decision, but thank you guys for all you info. I've been at Penn State (main campus) for 4 years, so I'm kind of itching to get to a real city (no offense to Pittsburgh, but I've visited it quite a bit and eh). However, as of right now I want to do my residency in derm, so obviously the prestige of the med school matters. What do you guys think about that? Does anyone know any info about residency matching for competitive fields from the two schools?

While it's true that Pitt's USNWR ranking is a bit higher than MSSM's, MSSM is without question a well-respected and well-regarded school. I currently work at a very famous med school (PM me if you really want to know), and several of the professors I've come in contact with have been MSSM graduates. You should be just fine if you decide that MSSM is truly what you want. :luck:

it looks like i stand corrected on the tuition + fees difference: both are around 33k per year. it's utterly ridiculous for anyone to argue that pittsburgh has a higher col than manhattan, but for some reason mssm budgets less for room and board. i know they probably have subsidized housing, so ultimately at mssm you may pay about the same for housing but more to go out and have fun. if you feel you need a car in pittsburgh (you shouldn't imo), then pitt will probably cost more. otherwise, you'll get free and good public transportation in pittsburgh compared to paying for it in nyc.

so i'd say cost isn't a big factor for this one. but financial aid may be. as with everybody, you'll need to wait to see your offers from each school.

otherwise, i don't think this is a simple decision. i know mssm is supposed to be great for geriatrics, but i'm not sure where else they shine. if there's no difference in financial aid, then i think this one is going to be a "go to second look and then go with your gut."
mssm is also very good at GI.

mssm is particularly strong research-wise with a regard to age-related diseases and disorders, which is perhaps most palpable in their departments of psychiatry and neurology (at the medical school) and their department of neuroscience (at the graduate school of biomedical sciences). the institution is also among the leaders in cardiology, oncology, and hepatology (GI) from both clinical and basic science vantage points. the hospital is an internationally-recognized center of excellence in transplant surgery.

2 words: PITT ROCKS! Coming from CA, I fell in love w/ the school :love:

i haven't checked out pitt, but i would choose MSSM for many reasons mentioned above. Plus, NYC is awesome. MSSM is located in a nice neighborhood, but NYC is so diverse that a few blocks from where school is located there are completely different population. And student housing at MSSM is just unbeatable.

I think Pitt is the most underrated school out therre. They have a great hospital system, extremely happy students, tons of research money, and a phenomenal match list.

If you are one of those people who is obsessed with everything NYC, then go to MSSM. But I would choose Pitt. You can live like a king in Pittsburgh for ~$700 per month, and the school is amazing.

Never got an interview at MSSM, but I definately agree with Towelie about the students. Aside from Vandy, I don't think I saw a happier group of students at any med school than at Pitt. I absolutely loved everything about the school except for the High Pass/P/F grading system...but if you don't REALLY want to be in New York City, it is hard to justify going to a school ranked twice as low (my opinion people, but bash away)