Pitt vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjc100

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone I'm trying to decide between Pitt and Tufts. I have grown up in Pittsburgh and went to pitt for undergrad so I was really hoping to get to explore a different area during medical school and Boston seems like the absolute best place, but I know Pitt is much higher ranked than tufts. I don't think I will be going into a super competitive specialty (probably peds), but is the difference between Pitt and Tufts in ranking enough that I should just stick it out 4 more years in Pittsburgh?

Members don't see this ad.

What's cost of attendance looking like? I believe Tufts only gives need-based aid based on FAFSA, and Boston is very very expensive to live in.

What's cost of attendance looking like? I believe Tufts only gives need-based aid based on FAFSA, and Boston is very very expensive to live in.
Boston the city is a little more expensive but tuition is about the same

I would stay at Pitt for the 4 years. But totally partial to the feeling of wanting to explore a different city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boston is amazing and you have to choose where you'll be happiest. However, have you ever been to Boston? I'm not sure if you should choose based on an inkling that another school MIGHT be more enjoyable. And Pittsburgh is no slouch itself, also has a support system.

If you had a really good reason to be in Boston, I'd say go for it. If it's off of wanting a change, I don't know, pitt might be hard to pass on for me personally.

Ehhh I get that you wanna try something new but Pitt is extremely hard to pass up in this situation. I think you will have a shot to be near Boston and other NE cities for residency coming out Pitt (arguable a better shot country wide honestly). UPMC also has it's own very well renowned children's hospital. Also it's cheaper.

I think you'd be kind of foolish to pass up this opportunity frankly.