Pitt (WL) vs. UCLA vs. CWRU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modpres

Reaction score
As a CWRU Undergrad and Pittsburgh native, having a hard time between the three, obviously provided I even get into Pitt.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
California baby! 70's and sunny today. And UCLA is top 10 in the country. Seriously though, you can't go wrong. Pitt is phenomenal and I love Pittsburgh.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
California baby! 70's and sunny today. And UCLA is top 10 in the country. Seriously though, you can't go wrong. Pitt is phenomenal and I love Pittsburgh.
As a fellow CA-er I would agree but also caution of probably yearly fire season from here on out as the cost for that 70-degree weather during winter

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP - what are your specialty interests, if any, at this point ? You are a PA resident ? What region are you hoping to match back to ?

OP - what are your specialty interests, if any, at this point ? You are a PA resident ? What region are you hoping to match back to ?
Sorry - I should probably have given some more details, for sure! LOL. PA resident - native of Pittsburgh with plenty of family in the area. Have a small amount of family that lives just north of LA, but not much.

Specialty interest is neurology - I'm actually an electrical engineer and computer scientist by training, so I am heavily interested in academic medicine and research, which probably leans a little bit toward Pitt for the interface of engineering and medicine. On the other end of things, I am also interested in health policy, which definitely leans toward UCLA (MD-MPP program, I'm kind of thinking). I was hoping to work in the area of either memory or movement disorders (Alzheimer's/Parkinson's), and I know a lot of cutting edge research comes out of the Cleveland Clinic, which is why CWRU is the third I'm still heavily considering.

As for cost - I actually don't really know yet. I'm assuming I won't get aid/scholarships at any of them for now and figured I will reassess when/if I get any financial aid letters. That said, the UCLA folks said it's really easy to establish CA residency within a year, which means tuition there would be the lowest (after the first year) but cost of living would be, by far, the highest.

As for match region - in all honesty, no super strong preference. It would be nice to match in Pittsburgh region, but not an absolute necessity, which kind of makes me lean in the direction of Pitt or CWRU.

I know this is kind of all over the place, but that's exactly my dilemma LOL.

Sorry - I should probably have given some more details, for sure! LOL. PA resident - native of Pittsburgh with plenty of family in the area. Have a small amount of family that lives just north of LA, but not much.

Specialty interest is neurology - I'm actually an electrical engineer and computer scientist by training, so I am heavily interested in academic medicine and research, which probably leans a little bit toward Pitt for the interface of engineering and medicine. On the other end of things, I am also interested in health policy, which definitely leans toward UCLA (MD-MPP program, I'm kind of thinking). I was hoping to work in the area of either memory or movement disorders (Alzheimer's/Parkinson's), and I know a lot of cutting edge research comes out of the Cleveland Clinic, which is why CWRU is the third I'm still heavily considering.

As for cost - I actually don't really know yet. I'm assuming I won't get aid/scholarships at any of them for now and figured I will reassess when/if I get any financial aid letters. That said, the UCLA folks said it's really easy to establish CA residency within a year, which means tuition there would be the lowest (after the first year) but cost of living would be, by far, the highest.

As for match region - in all honesty, no super strong preference. It would be nice to match in Pittsburgh region, but not an absolute necessity, which kind of makes me lean in the direction of Pitt or CWRU.

I know this is kind of all over the place, but that's exactly my dilemma LOL.
As CA resident I will support giving you instate 😀 UCLA is T10 and since you have academic interest you should go with UCLA

A strike against UCLA is the cost of housing. The area around the school (known as "The West Side" of LA) is very expensive even for California standards. It'll blow you away compared to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Might not be a factor for you though.

Has to be between UCLA and Pitt. Both incredible, especially if you want to go into academic medicine. You should be very happy with this choice. While I understand Pitt is where your support system is, it would be nice to live for a few years somewhere else like LA too. You really can't go wrong with either of these 2.

Reactions: 1 user