Pitt's clinical curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamimami

Reaction score
Hey all!
As I make my decision on where to attend next fall, can anyone offer some insight into Pittsburgh's clinical curriculum? Would love to hear from Pitt students or those who have friends attending, about the patient pool and how much clinical experience they get.

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt has really good preclinical training. Can't speak for the clinics yet, but requirements are 2 RCT, 2 crown preps (have to do a CEREC crown too I think?). Patient population is decent, but a lot of docs recommend doing a GPR after.

I graduated from Pitt in 2013. Pitt is very strong in restorative, prosth, and endo - I felt pretty comfortable coming out of school in those. Significant weakness is in oral surgery training, which is pretty common at many dental schools. Patient population is pretty good, I didn't really have too much of an issue getting what I needed. You get a good mix of Seniors and college students in addition to the regular population since you're right on the Pitt main campus. Retired seniors are the best dental school patients! :D

I ended up doing ~100 restorations, ~6-8 crowns, probably like 20 dentures, 3 RPD's, like 6 root canals, I restored one implant. This was almost 6 years ago now, and over time requirements always drop. In the 80's they were doing like 30-40 crowns to graduate!

I really loved my time at Pitt, the city is amazing, and the faculty are great. I just wish they spent more time doing externships, when I was there we only did two weeks - and those were the best two weeks of dental school. Some new schools do 4-6 months of externship (like ASDOH), and because of that, you don't often have the same need of doing a residency afterwards.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users