Pitt's essay about ethical dellimma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the question?

"Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting."

Members don't see this ad :)
how about taht time when you and your family had to decide about a do not resicusitate order with your grandma before her risky operation? remember? you had to talk it out - think about the situation and the reprecussions quality of life etc... - heavy.

what about when you had to put your family dog down because its quality of life was deteriorating, despite your unrelentless love for the mutt?

i'm sure you can dig up some ethical dilemma from somewhere in the "life archives"

-jot

do you think bringing up religion is a bad idea? i was just going to write about how my religious beliefs conflicted with dissections and how i resolved that for myself (i want to be careful not to let them think that i'll have a problem with the cadaver because i won't, at least not ethically). i'm fine with the controversial nature of the topic, but i don't want to make my religion into a bigger deal than it is....

I think one ought to steer clear of controversial topics -- you never know what kind of person will read it.

If you are going to have selective memory or embellish, at least pick a situation where there is a general consensus about what is right, and it was just a choice between what is right and what is desirable/fun/easy. That way you paint yourself in a good light. Picking the wrong side of a sticky moral debate could be hazardous to your application.

Originally posted by chopsuey
do you think bringing up religion is a bad idea? i was just going to write about how my religious beliefs conflicted with dissections and how i resolved that for myself (i want to be careful not to let them think that i'll have a problem with the cadaver because i won't, at least not ethically). i'm fine with the controversial nature of the topic, but i don't want to make my religion into a bigger deal than it is....

although i think you should approach the subject gingerly, I think it's an excellent choice. I don't have any beliefs, but I know that many doctors routinely have to evaluate & make ethical decisions about this.

what about the time when you found twenty bucks on the floor and decided to keep it?:confused:

It would be extremely unhelpful to an admissions reviewer for you to pick a vanilla situation that is as controversial as concrete. Let them see what you're made of. Take a stand on something. (That doesn't mean you don't approach it gingerly.)

chopsuey: I would encourage you to write about the intersection betweet religious belief and ethical practice. At the very least, it will give them another angle on your personality, and it will certainly give you something to talk about at your interview.

cheers
-a.

I just wrote about this time I went on a date with this girl who turned out to be racist. I had to cut the date short.

I hope that's not too controversial. I already submitted it.

Only doctor octopus' idea is anything close to my experience...other than that, everything you guys have ever sad never happened to me...and i don't want to make up my grandfather dying etc bull****....my life sucks (or rather, it didn't suck enough)

Originally posted by sluox
Only doctor octopus' idea is anything close to my experience...other than that, everything you guys have ever sad never happened to me...and i don't want to make up my grandfather dying etc bull****....my life sucks (or rather, it didn't suck enough)

There must have been a time when your friends were trying to goad you into doing something you knew was wrong. Write about that if you can't think of anything else.

I wanted to write about cheating in an academic setting! Damn them!

I think my opening sentence will begin "One time, at band camp..."

;)

That's about as much as I have got so far.

Once I had a strong ethical dilemma that kept me up for weeks as I questioned my very existence on this earth as according to Mill, Nietzsche, Aristotle, and Kant: Coke or Pepsi?