Scientist1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
Hey, just wanted to see who's going to Pitt? and why you picked Pitt?

mwsung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Scientist1 said:

I put down the first deposit on Pitt but also on Michigan (my $$$)

that was before Michigan accepted me so.... damn...
anyways, I might give up my spot sometime....
i will see how things goes

reason i chose Pitt: cause i like living near the city
but Michigan is cheaper and better reputation.. so...

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
Im going to pitt, pitt is the best and who cares about the rest..Anyway, let me know who else is going to pitt. if you give up your spot, im know alot of people who will be more then happy to take that from you, good luck with that decision..keep it real.....where my pitt people at???

walt :luck:

smang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
I am going to Pitt. Everyone that I know that goes there for undergrad loves it. All the dentists I shadowed highly recommended Pittsburgh. Where does everyone plan on living?

Kashew77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
I'm going to Pitt :) I picked Pitt, because I really like the city of Pittsburgh, the facilities are pretty nice and my dentist highly recommended it :) I don't know where I am living yet, i need to figure that out. Do you guys know if there is a roommate matching service anywhere?

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
Kashew77 said:
I'm going to Pitt :) I picked Pitt, because I really like the city of Pittsburgh, the facilities are pretty nice and my dentist highly recommended it :) I don't know where I am living yet, i need to figure that out. Do you guys know if there is a roommate matching service anywhere?
im playing on living at Ruskin hall.. I dont thing there is a roommate matchin program, but i could be wrong, ask rose. im excited that you guys are coming to pitt. if u guys want to start the conversation just hit me up on AIM princewalta.. Im undergrad here at pitt, still liking it, but the weather is really confused, doesnt ever really get sunny here...

mwsung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
Status
Dentist
formersdnlurker said:
I'll be going to Pitt. Class of 2009 wewt.......but for undergrad :p
i put down deposits on both Michigan & Pitt
still trying to decide.....

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
mwsung said:
i put down deposits on both Michigan & Pitt
still trying to decide.....

thats cool that your trying to decide which one to go to, but in the end what really matters to you. both schools from what i hear are pretty good, so its what u care about besides education that should help you in your decision... like weather :thumbdown:

smang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
The weather in Pittsburgh is probably better than Michigan. A little fun fact - The baseball Allstar game is going to be held at PNC park next year. Lets go bucs.

PianoGirl04

living for tomorrow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I posted this in the housing forum, but I doubt too many people check that. Here's some info on an awesome 2-BR apartment that's kind of on the border between Oakland and Shadyside...I've seen the place and it's a really great deal. Lots of space, cheap parking, and a dishwasher, for starters.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/66593908.html

630 Clyde St. Apt. 302

A huge 2 bedroom apartment available July 1st onwards. It is a quick walk to both the UPitt and CMU campuses. It is right on 5th Avenue so you can catch any bus to class since they all go by 5th.

Comes equipped with a dishwasher, furnished with shelves, and comes carpeted. There is even a patio. Washing machine is located in the basement. There is a garage for a very low monthly fee.

PARKING - LOW Pittsburgh residental fee - just need to get a Zone license for 10 bucks for the whole year since this area is zoned. SAVES you $$$.

All utilities included except electricity. It is already wired for DSL/Cable connection.

The floor plan is here. The place is huge, you can easily have 4 people or more live here comfortably.

http://www.prudentialrealty.com/prc/FloorPlans/CS-1002.swf

http://www.prudentialrealty.com/cgi-bin/ezdb.cgi?my_db/prclist+search+display+900000565&

Please contact the Building manager Ron Womble if you want to see the place. Make sure to let him know it is Apt 302, and we can vacate by July 1.

His # is: (412) 621-7563

E-mail me if you have any further questions.

eran76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Pittsburgh (but from Seattle)
Status
Dental Student
Hey Panthers,

Anyone need a roommate? I can’t make the June orientation because I’ll be overseas, but I’d really like to live with someone rather than get a one bedroom or a studio. I’ll be driving from Seattle to Pittsburgh around August 1st, just after I get back. PM me or just post here and I can tell you about myself. Thanks guys,

eran

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Scientist1 said:
Add me in, I am going to pitt !!! loved the campus, loved the school, loved the crowd at pitt :luck: ...........hope to have a blast of time at pitt!!

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
Kashew77 said:
Can't wait to meet everyone :)

I want to second that one, im really excited about meetin everyone. I hope our class will not be over achievers. there is no problem with tryin to be the best, just dont stab anyone in the back for that aight. lets make promise now....Anyway, hope everyone comes out, plus that friday, the first years want to get us wasted, so who ever want to stay until saturday let me know, and ill see what i can do...welcome to pitt class of 2009....after all we will be best class the school has seen in a long time...holla back at your boy..

PrimaryMolar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
Status
Hey future classmates! I look forward to meeting everyone during orientation week! I am excited about living in Pittsburgh. I liked the campus and was impressed by the faculty/staff/students/facilities. Everyone seems really cool :thumbup:

By the way, I will be living in Ruskin Hall. It seems to be the most convenient, especially for the first year.

Take care, everyone! ;)

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
princewalta said:
I want to second that one, im really excited about meetin everyone. I hope our class will not be over achievers. there is no problem with tryin to be the best, just dont stab anyone in the back for that aight. lets make promise now....Anyway, hope everyone comes out, plus that friday, the first years want to get us wasted, so who ever want to stay until saturday let me know, and ill see what i can do...welcome to pitt class of 2009....after all we will be best class the school has seen in a long time...holla back at your boy..

Me too!!! I swear even I am equally excited !!!! and yeah, speaking of being the best class.....all my efforts into it!! everyone along with being excited are a li'l stressed out about the dental school course load and dental school life, but I am sure with cool frenz around life is gonna be easy. After all how difficult could the dental school be??? I guess it all lies in the attitude that we carry!!!
I just take it this way, Its gonna be the last time in my whole life( hopefully) I will be going to school, so why not make the most out of it!!
Really looking forward to meet all of you!!

jays2cool4u

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
NW DC
Status
Podiatry Student
For housing go to the classified section of The Pitt News. Then, click on the link in the middle of the page that says Today's Classified Ads. For those that are not familiar with the city its best to look for places in South Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, and North Oakland. These neighborhoods surround the campus (minus the Hill District). Hope this helps.

Jays2Cool4u :cool:

Pitt Alumn
c/o 2004

Jessica1219

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2004
Long Island, NY
Status
Hey Panthers! :) I am so excited about next year, definitely counting down the days until graduation! I'm also living in Ruskin Hall...I'm on the 8th floor...how about everyone else? Just wanted to say hi. Jessica1219 on AIM if anyone wants to chat. See you all at orientation very soon!

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
Jessica1219 said:
Hey Panthers! :) I am so excited about next year, definitely counting down the days until graduation! I'm also living in Ruskin Hall...I'm on the 8th floor...how about everyone else? Just wanted to say hi. Jessica1219 on AIM if anyone wants to chat. See you all at orientation very soon!

Ruskin Hall 3rd floor baby....ladies im expectin alot of visits aight :rolleyes: . well thats it for me. let me where everyone is living.

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Does anyone have an idea as to whats gonna be there at the orientation?? I mean apart from ordering scrubs,labcoats and financial aid thing, what else are we gonna be upto?? Three days seems a lot for these petty things!! :p .
also , do we have to buy laptops like many other universities make it compulsory??
input appreciated!!
Go pitt!! :thumbup:

OP
S

Scientist1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
Hey guys,
I have to decide between attending Pitt or Upenn soon, any comments? what do you think? i got a good feeling about both schools? penn is more expensive though.

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
Scientist1 said:
Hey guys,
I have to decide between attending Pitt or Upenn soon, any comments? what do you think? i got a good feeling about both schools? penn is more expensive though.
To start of with, im in the dark as to what else we are going to be doing at the orentation? As for this question, its really up to u to decide, i personally would pick pitt because i hear people that come out of penn suck at doing their job, but then again i am bias. go pitt. anyway, like i was sayin, pitt also seems to have the more up to date clinicals from what ive heard. so again it is totally up to you when it comes to this decision. good luck and remember one thing, pitt is better then alot of school, i mean alot :rolleyes: jk, but really good luck man, we will see what u chose soon right.

smang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
I couldn't justify paying 44k for Penn and being in that basement for 2 years.

Nismoboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2004
Status
Dental Student
what happens if you got taken off of the waitlist and you haven't filled out the FAFSA before April 30th, 2005? Can you still get financial aid and loans....

Kashew77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
I would call Rose or the Financial Aid office and ask them. They're very nice over there maybe they can help you out.

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Is anyone planning on buying a laptop???

DrDrillNfill

Pitt 2006
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Status
OSMF said:
Is anyone planning on buying a laptop???
You don't need a laptop. Most every teacher hands out their PPT packets.
Congrats on getting into Pitt everybody. It was the greatest decision I ever made.

I don't know if Rose has sent you the orientation breakdown but there is an ASDA picnic on that Thursday where you can get to know all the other classes. See you then.

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
ASDA picnic!!! hmm..thats sounds fun!! so are u guys taking the four year membership with ASDA??i haven't sent out the form yet, but I think I will just go ahead and take the four year membership.
what do u guys think?

Kashew77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
I am debating that one myself. This might be a stupid question, I know what ASDA is but what exactly does membership entail? Do they have meetings? social events? etc.. Does anyone know?

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
hey, im plannin on takin the four year ASDA plan, i think it will help us with networking with other dentist, companies, etc. plus we may get to meet others from other school.. cant wait to meet all of u guys. keep it touch

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Thats right walt !! I agree that this membership is gonna be very useful not only in the school but also in the long run.
So guys, we all have our big brothers and big sisters decided. Boy! Its gonna be fun meeting them at the orientation.
So where are you guys staying for the orientation?? (of course the out of staters!) I hope the orientation will not be a formal event like the interview session.
Waiting to meet y'all
Go pitt!!

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
I hope its not goin to be formal either, do u guys know what we are going to be doing for the three days. plus who ever is 21 or older i think we should try and go to the clubs. let me know what you guys think.

walt

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
princewalta said:
I hope its not goin to be formal either, do u guys know what we are going to be doing for the three days. plus who ever is 21 or older i think we should try and go to the clubs. let me know what you guys think.

walt
way to go walt!!

PantherPaws

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
hello and congrats to all you newbies who decided on PITT,

1st of all when you come for orientation look for housing! My advice is get together with a group of fellow newbies and go apartment hunting, because you really get no help from admin.

The first day of orientation upperclassmen will probably organize some type of get togeher at one of the local bars like "Docs" or something. You should probably go to that so you can meet some of us.

If any of you have questions go ahead and ask. Oh and if any of you want to save a little money you can stay at the Psi Omega house. An interviewee did at his interview and enjoyed his stay. PM me if you have any questions.

PantherPaws

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
PantherPaws said:
hello and congrats to all you newbies who decided on PITT,

1st of all when you come for orientation look for housing! My advice is get together with a group of fellow newbies and go apartment hunting, because you really get no help from admin.

The first day of orientation upperclassmen will probably organize some type of get togeher at one of the local bars like "Docs" or something. You should probably go to that so you can meet some of us.

If any of you have questions go ahead and ask. Oh and if any of you want to save a little money you can stay at the Psi Omega house. An interviewee did at his interview and enjoyed his stay. PM me if you have any questions.

PantherPaws
Thanks for all the information panther paws!!
My question is that how many extracted teeth do we need to collect and whether we will be working on those collected teeth in our first year or do we have time untill the second year ? Also which tooth(among the extracted ones) would be the mostly used especially in the first year or in the beginning of the semester, so that we could go ahead and hunt for it specifically rather than piling up third molars.
Thanks for any input!!

PantherPaws

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
Ok,

Don't worry about extracted teeth. If you can get them, great, but if you can't, don't sweat it. There will be enough people in your class that have tons that will give you what you need. If you have access try to get as many 1st molars, premolars and max cental incisors as you can. As I remember you will use 4 anterior teeth 1st semester in dental materials. Then you will need a few molars for amalgam in the spring and then a few more in composite in the summer. Then you will need good anteriors with straight, I emphasize striaght canals for endo 2nd year.

But again, don't worry if you can't get them. I came to school without having any. Now I have more than I need, because when 4th years graduate they leave the extracted teeth behind.

PantherPaws

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
PantherPaws said:
Ok,

Don't worry about extracted teeth. If you can get them, great, but if you can't, don't sweat it. There will be enough people in your class that have tons that will give you what you need. If you have access try to get as many 1st molars, premolars and max cental incisors as you can. As I remember you will use 4 anterior teeth 1st semester in dental materials. Then you will need a few molars for amalgam in the spring and then a few more in composite in the summer. Then you will need good anteriors with straight, I emphasize striaght canals for endo 2nd year.

But again, don't worry if you can't get them. I came to school without having any. Now I have more than I need, because when 4th years graduate they leave the extracted teeth behind.

PantherPaws
Thanks a million pal! its like a huge load off my chest!!
Looking fwd to meet you!

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
OSMF said:
Thanks a million pal! its like a huge load off my chest!!
Looking fwd to meet you!
yea thanks for the info, great help, ur the man panther paws.

question for you panther, so what are we going to be doin those three days, if u even remember

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Hey guys just wanted to know how much of use a computer is in dental school .
Thats coz my typing skill SUCKS!! Do u think I should work upon that before the school starts or can i manage with slow typing ?

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
did u guys get the list of what they have planned for us for the three days, it seems like its going to be alot of speeches. lets hope its not like that, im not down to listen to any lectures. not just yet anyway.

emm7

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2005
Status
jays2cool4u said:
For housing go to the classified section of The Pitt News. Then, click on the link in the middle of the page that says Today's Classified Ads. For those that are not familiar with the city its best to look for places in South Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, and North Oakland. These neighborhoods surround the campus (minus the Hill District). Hope this helps.

Jays2Cool4u :cool:

Pitt Alumn
c/o 2004

I dont know if south oakland would be the ideal place for someone more mature than a college frat boy to live. the streets are pretty dirty, and very loud on thursdays/fridays/saturdays plus any holiday that involves everyone getting wasted. If you are only looking for convenience, south oakland is the closest, but finding a decent apartment is hard. I lived in north oakland last year, it is near a giant eagle and has quieter neighborhoods. However, none of the places (besides south oakland) is within walking distance unless you've got an extra 45 minutes and enjoy walking uphill. If I end up going to Pitt's dental school i will probably look for a place in shady side, it's much nicer.
hope this helps, if you have any questions about which streets are decent to live on i might be able to help.

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Has anyone applied for the summer research scholarship program??

princewalta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
:luck:
OSMF said:
Has anyone applied for the summer research scholarship program??

Yea i applied for it, im really hoping that me and my friend Anna, who will be in our class too got it, and if u did, u too. haha.

do u know when and how we find out if we got it or not?

OSMF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
I had emailed Dr. Mary Marazita and she said that they would be reviewing the applications in a day or so and thus the notifications will be mailed out early next week.
Good Luck to everyone !!! :thumbup:

PrimaryMolar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
Status
Do any of you guys know if we have to dress formal for Registration on Wednesday? The schedule for our orientation says that we will be taking student directory photos first thing and I have no idea if I should wear a suit or what?... and how about the other days?

I'll see everyone at Orientation. I look forward to getting familiar with Pittsburgh's "hot spots!" :thumbup: