pittsburgh rejection letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yayayaya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got a rejection letter from pitt today. the letter said that the dean had personally reviewed my file. I am just wondering if anyone else got a rejection letter and if it said that the dean personally reviewed your file. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yayayaya said:
i just got a rejection letter from pitt today. the letter said that the dean had personally reviewed my file. I am just wondering if anyone else got a rejection letter and if it said that the dean personally reviewed your file. thanks

no but i tried to call them today and their message says they are closed from 12/24 to 1/4. I wonder if they really have admissions elves working with the phones forwarded to voice mail. what was the postmark date on your envelope with the letter?

Yes, mine said the same thing. It was such a nice letter, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
They told me at my interview no decisions would be made until March. Was your acceptance post-interview?

that doesnt make sense... i heard they dont even look at your file until feb. did u have a pre-secondary interview?

We're talking about rejection letters...right?

i will probly let you guys know on monday what my rejection letter says when i return to my mail box. it says on their website they sent me a "correspondence" on 12/17, im sure we know what that is

I inquired about the status of my application 2 days ago and received a reply today. Maybe they are not answering the phone, but they are working.

docdaname said:
i will probly let you guys know on monday what my rejection letter says when i return to my mail box. it says on their website they sent me a "correspondence" on 12/17, im sure we know what that is

where does it say they sent you "correspondence"? I don't see a place for messages or anything.

yayayaya said:

Yeah. I got a rejection a couple of days ago and it said the same thing. It's funny. I was wondering the exact same thing as you.

I'm so sorry to those of you who received the sad news.... Did you interview or were these pre-interview rejections?

:( I'm curious too because I thought all post interview decision letters were sent out in March. Sorry to hear about the bad news.

what up ya'll...
as a current first year (and a person who also interviews applicants, like most of my classmates), I just wanted to let you know that I am pretty sure that everyone on the admissions committee reviews the files of all applicants. I am not certain exactly when each file is looked at obviously, but I do know that they want our interview feedback withing 72hrs of the interview. That being said, I think that they at least review the files on a "rolling" basis, but none of the actual decisions are made until march. I think that it is just logistically more feasible for them that way, because of the shear mass of information they have to go through in a short period of time. Obviously, those that are not given interviews may receive their decision at any time, but I can assure you that Dean Curtiss has at least looked at and personally reviewed your file. Hope this helps.

yayayaya said:

Right- Same exact letter- So I'm thinking, well if the Dean reviewed my file then surely he can let me know how to strengthen my application- Then I found out he doesnt even read:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165068

LionKing said:
Right- Same exact letter- So I'm thinking, well if the Dean reviewed my file then surely he can let me know how to strengthen my application- Then I found out he doesnt even read:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165068

While you may get lucky at a school or two, I really doubt that many admissions officers are going to sit down and right you a summary of why you didn't get accepted. Not only is it not really feasible given their schedule, but your rejection is usually a combination of many things (when compared to the large applicant pool)...so, if you even did get a response, it would go something like "while you are a strong applicant, there is not room to fit everyone, bla bla bla." These types of questions from applicants are usually filtered out by the administrative staff and usually don't even get to the person addressed, because of the sheer number of requests they get a day. I know this is no excuse for the mistake, just realize it may not be the dean's fault that you got the wrong standardized letter. If it makes you feel any better, many acceptance letters don't even include any personal information (at least that I am aware of). In fact, Pitt was the only one that included some of my own activities in the bulk of the acceptance letter. Anyway, like I said before, sorry for the bad news and the mistake. Good luck with the other schools.

...if you really want to know why you didn't get accepted though, I really think calling would be the most efficient way, although I am not guaranteeing anything.

Anyone mind posting the link to the status page?

jrmgarbage said:
While you may get lucky at a school or two, I really doubt that many admissions officers are going to sit down and right you a summary of why you didn't get accepted. Not only is it not really feasible given their schedule, but your rejection is usually a combination of many things (when compared to the large applicant pool)...so, if you even did get a response, it would go something like "while you are a strong applicant, there is not room to fit everyone, bla bla bla." These types of questions from applicants are usually filtered out by the administrative staff and usually don't even get to the person addressed, because of the sheer number of requests they get a day. I know this is no excuse for the mistake, just realize it may not be the dean's fault that you got the wrong standardized letter. If it makes you feel any better, many acceptance letters don't even include any personal information (at least that I am aware of). In fact, Pitt was the only one that included some of my own activities in the bulk of the acceptance letter. Anyway, like I said before, sorry for the bad news and the mistake. Good luck with the other schools.

...if you really want to know why you didn't get accepted though, I really think calling would be the most efficient way, although I am not guaranteeing anything.

very insightful - - keeping my fingers crossed.....

Yep...very nice letter. Sincere, but straight to the point. Received mine yesterday. The same day I received an acceptance to TX A&M!

jrmgarbage said:
Thanks Rocco. See you tomorrow in PBL.

is it just me or is pbl getting a little underwhelming? we knew it was SLE before page 2... day 1 is fun and all, but i could be studying immuno.

by the way, speaking of very nice acceptance letters JRM, i found it interesting that they mentioned my clinical activities and ignored my research activities considering the heavy research focus here.

A little update - just called in and next week (i.e., week beginning 2/28) is when the post-interview results start rolling in. :cool: