Pittsburgh Steelers' Roethlisberger - Broken Jaw & Nose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This happened this morning in Pittsburgh and Ben was transported to Pittsburgh's Mercy Hospital. Do you think an OMFS stablized his mandible? It sounds like a private hospital....doesn't really say...

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/488296.html

Members don't see this ad.

Yah-E said:
This happened this morning in Pittsburgh and Ben was transported to Pittsburgh's Mercy Hospital. Do you think an OMFS stablized his mandible? It sounds like a private hospital....doesn't really say...

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/488296.html

yes, here's a quote from the espn article.

Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition following seven hours surgery that ended at approximately 9 p.m. ET, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Mercy Hospital. His condition is not expected to change throughout the evening, Pituch said at a news conference

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

scalpel2008 said:
yes, here's a quote from the espn article.

Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition following seven hours surgery that ended at approximately 9 p.m. ET, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Mercy Hospital. His condition is not expected to change throughout the evening, Pituch said at a news conference

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

Sweet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E said:
It took seven hours for them to do the surgery. What, did they throw a rectus flap in there?

Hi all,

The Chief at Mercy is a DMD, MD and other staffs have the DDS or DMD. Can you imagine the massive public confusion if his name is flashed on the screen with the DDS or DMD only? Like "what the he** is a DENTIST doing here??? "? Can you also imagine if how badly the public will think of single degree OMFS if Big Ben has problem healing his jaws in the future? I can see the dual degrees OMFS having a field day over this one! I have heard many many comments from dual degree OS putting down their single degrees ones like how they(single degrees) are not trained equally and how the dual degrees can do surgery everything from "head to toes". DP

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hi all,

The Chief at Mercy is a DMD, MD and other staffs have the DDS or DMD. Can you imagine the massive public confusion if his name is flashed on the screen with the DDS or DMD only? Like "what the he** is a DENTIST doing here??? "? Can you also imagine if how badly the public will think of single degree OMFS if Big Ben has problem healing his jaws in the future? I can see the dual degrees OMFS having a field day over this one! I have heard many many comments from dual degree OS putting down their single degrees ones like how they(single degrees) are not trained equally and how the dual degrees can do surgery everything from "head to toes". DP

I disagree that the dual degree OMS will have a "field day over this one." I am in a dual degree training program and know of some phenomenal single degree OMS. I don't think that anyone in the OMS community is stupid enough to blame a poor outcome of a facial fracture repair on the lack of a medical degree. They receive just as much training in oral and maxillofacial surgical procedures. The dual degree OMS you mention who put down their single degree colleagues, just because they lack an MD, are a disgrace to the OMS community.

Hi there,

I totally agree with you!!! But I personally know of MANY dual OS putting down their single degrees peers which is a disgrace to the OS community! You know about the plastic MDs and OS fight over the scope of the OS practice in CA and the dual degree ones comment on how single degree OS are not qualified but they are because they spend another two years in classroom and they have MD after their names. I am not an OS, I am a maxilofacial prosthodontist but I know how QUALIFIED the single degrees OS are. DP

Not sure what Dr. Pituch is (single or double degree guy), but I'm sure Big Ben will come out of this incident 1) wear his helmet everytime now to protect his life and his NFL career and 2) greatly appreciate what Dr. Pituch and his surgery team had done whether he's a dentist or he freaking holds a MD degree!

Furthermore, according to the press, Big Ben sounded like he was coherent and conscious prior to the surgery, so I'm sure the surgery team went over the surgery complications and risks to Big Ben and his family. If indeed Big Ben's occlusion if a bit off or end up with malunion of fractures, it would not go back and hunt the surgery team.

Dai Phan, for you to bring up this single and double degree issue is pure ******ed. Stick with comedy.

tx oms said:
It took seven hours for them to do the surgery. What, did they throw a rectus flap in there?
Since Big Ben is a big time celebrity in Pittsburgh, the surgery team probably took their time. Just as if plastic surgeons were to place breast implants into their significant others, their surgical meticulosity would be extremely high!

Checked and double checked, measured and measured again.....probably.

Yah-E said:
I'm sure Big Ben will come out of this incident 1) wear his helmet everytime now to protect his life and his NFL career

i bet bill cowher will add a helmet stipulation to ben's contract...or atleast his disability insurance will.

Yah-E said:
Since Big Ben is a big time celebrity in Pittsburgh, the surgery team probably took their time.
Thanks for shedding light on that for the rest of us. We're so lucky to have you to keep us informed.

Yah-E said:
Just as if plastic surgeons were to place breast implants into their significant others, their surgical meticulosity would be extremely high!
I don't think Ben's surgeon is going to be spending that much time fondling his mandible--this is a totally different situation.

Dr. Dai Phan said:
You know about the plastic MDs and OS fight over the scope of the OS practice in CA and the dual degree ones comment on how single degree OS are not qualified but they are because they spend another two years in classroom and they have MD after their names.
Given its reputation, I think we should definitely continue to use what happens in CA as a good measure to generalize what is occurring around the rest of the country. You make some of the most random statements, although I guess it should be expected given your choice of specialty training.

Phan, the single vs. dual-degree issue is a non-issue unless you're an ENT or plastic surgeon. I have never heard a dual-degree guy bash a single-degree guy and I don't know if I should believe you.

I heard it was a nose, upper and lower jaw combined with avulsed teeth. Just the teeth alone would have an intern 7 hours to get back in and splint correctly :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding to all you future interns.

We treated a few mandible fractures on players in the NBA here (they were in college at the time). It is kind of ridiculous how attendings can sometimes act all vigilant when it is someone famous but when it is just the car salesman's kids it is like not that urgent.

scalpel2008 said:
i bet bill cowher will add a helmet stipulation to ben's contract...or atleast his disability insurance will.

There was already a dangerous activity one or something stupid like that....the same deal that Winslow that idiot had. I'm sorry but there are just some things you need to suck up and not do for a few years. If you are living the dream as a pro football player then riding around on your cycle without a helmet is one of them...

I just submitted the link to NBC's Jay Leno for his bit "Sold or Not Sold?"

This is a great one!