Pittsburgh vs. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corey3326

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am currently trying to decide between these two schools and I am having some trouble. I know that overall Pitt has a great rep, but USC also has a great rep for clinical exposure/diversity of the patient population...and is in sunny LA :cool:. If anyone know alot about either of these schools and could give me some input or extra information, that would be wonderful! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

im worrying about the same thing...but also have tufts/bu thrown into the mix. i am leaning towards usc, but thats only because my family is from the area. if not, i would probably chose pitt or tufts.

I feel like these two schools could not be more different. Both are great. If you are leaning towards acacemia, pitt may be a better place to go, but USC is in sunny LA as you said. Tough choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt is a Thesis School and has a better Match list. Both are great schools.. Where do you want to Practice? Those who go to school in Calif they tend to stay in Calif As for the East Coast they tend to move around. Pitt also does better on step 1 and 2 scores also the students are Happier at Pitt. Also years 3 & 4 you can choose to move to 1 of any 30 Hospitals state wide. (like you can go to Philly) or stay at Pitt. I really liked Pitt when I was there. I heard USC doesn't give out much money, Pitt gives out a fair amount of money. good luck

Pitt is a Thesis School and has a better Match list. Both are great schools.. Where do you want to Practice? Those who go to school in Calif they tend to stay in Calif As for the East Coast they tend to move around. Pitt also does better on step 1 and 2 scores also the students are Happier at Pitt. Also years 3 & 4 you can choose to move to 1 of any 30 Hospitals state wide. (like you can go to Philly) or stay at Pitt. I really liked Pitt when I was there. I heard USC doesn't give out much money, Pitt gives out a fair amount of money. good luck

I highly doubt students are happier in Pittsburgh than at USC. What is Pitt's step 1 avg?

Step 1 average is irrelevant because neither schools teach to the boards and so your individual score on the USMLE will probably be more of a function of your own ability and hard work rather than the preparation the school has given you.

What is the deal with doing your clinical years at other Hospitals in PA? I have not heard of this. Where can I find info about it? I tried looking on Pitt's website, but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

not that it matters all that much, but USC's Step 1 average was 234 last year. I am doubtful that Pitt's was higher than this since very very few schools' are.

Pitt all the way. Pitt has better residency placement than USC, which is no accident. Larger and better hospital system, more opportunities, top research, WISER center, supportive student body and faculty, etc. It's also a top 15 med school.

Among Pitt, Tufts, and USC, I'd go with Pitt Med.

Thanks guys! I really think Pitt is a great school too. The only reason that I am hesitant about Pitt is because I go to undergrad very close by, so I know the area really well. Also, I'm originally from Pittsburgh, which is nice because all of my family is here. But also, I would like to experience a new area. Finally, I'm also alittle worried about residency placements (which I know is WAY in the future, but still..). I was told by someone who grew up in Chicago, went to northwestern undergrad, northwestern med school that they had trouble getting a residency in other places besides Chicago. Do you think this could be a problem because I'll be in Pittsburgh for so long?

Thanks guys! I really think Pitt is a great school too. The only reason that I am hesitant about Pitt is because I go to undergrad very close by, so I know the area really well. Also, I'm originally from Pittsburgh, which is nice because all of my family is here. But also, I would like to experience a new area. Finally, I'm also alittle worried about residency placements (which I know is WAY in the future, but still..). I was told by someone who grew up in Chicago, went to northwestern undergrad, northwestern med school that they had trouble getting a residency in other places besides Chicago. Do you think this could be a problem because I'll be in Pittsburgh for so long?

I know 4 Pitt Med grads who landed residencies in California, so you shouldn't have much trouble if you wanted to do your residency outside of Pittsburgh.

Both USC and Pitt are good schools. Pitt is more highly reputed (Top 15 + UPMC's hospital system is ranked in the top 15), although this fact is of different value to different people. If you want to be an ophthalmologist by any chance, USC might be better as it has one of the top ophthalmology departments/residency programs in the country which would make for a good place to do ophtho clinical rotations. Anyway, you can't go wrong with either and neither will limit your opportunities in the future.

Pitt all the way. Pitt has better residency placement than USC, which is no accident. Larger and better hospital system, more opportunities, top research, WISER center, supportive student body and faculty, etc. It's also a top 15 med school.

you measure that how??

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a 2006 match list posted on SDN I will try to find it again... I looked at Jefferson and UCLA.. from what I saw in brief.... Those in Calif tend to stay in Calif.. for Res. those from Jefferson tend to stay on east coast.. There are more med schools on the east coast so they spread out ... tough choice but no matter what you choice is you can't go wrong. If your family in near Pitt ... will you miss them??? do you know anyone in calif? Both schools are very good, I think it is down to living..... where do you want to live... If you apply yourself as far as Res.. you can go anywhere... everyone wants a good Res.... good luck

usually i hate posting in pre-allo but must comment here ...

although i agree that pitt is a great school, and from all the rumors is more academically inclined, i must disagree with residency placement. i am an ms4 at usc and we did awesomely in the match this year. Examples? How bout this ....

9 matched into derm, one at MGH
12 matched into ENT, one at Mass Eye and Ear
2 matched into neurosurg, one at Baylor
12 matched into ortho
6-7 matches in radiology
5 matches in ophthalmology

we have ppl going to really great places for residency: ucsf, stanford, u of michigan, u of washington etc. although i don't know pitt's match results, usc's cannot be disregarded at all.

in the end, if you work hard, you will get what you want, no matter where you went to med school. go somewhere that will make you happy, and you'll study harder and ultimately do better.

not to start a pissing contest or anything, but, having recently gone through the match process and being almost done with school here in Pittsburgh, I can offer some opinions...

1) i think the most important part of this is just going with your gut. go where you see yourself being happy not where US News tells you is the better. i completely agree with the last thing dara678 said above.
2) the clinical exposure, facilities, and resources available to you here at pitt, i feel, are bar-none. i cannot begin to explain to you the giant that is UPMC, but i assure you that whatever you are after is somewhere to be found in the system. it is just a matter of making contacts and applying yourself.
3) i posted my class' match list here. personally, i think it is awesome, but that is mostly because i know the people behind the listed names. remember that people get tied down and have various other life-factors at play in making these decisions. not matching a neurosurg into BNI or ortho into HSS (for example) doesn't mean that was out of the question...that being said, i know many many people that got their #1, and I saw no one disappointed on match day. if you want to go from pitt to cali, then you will have no obstacles in doing that...the onus is just on you to perform.
4) the scholarly project is a pain in the *** and a joke, but, amazingly, if you are looking to apply to more academic-oriented residency positions, you'll be glad you have that work in progress. it gives you research, publications, presentations, awards, contacts, and, perhaps most importantly, something to talk about during interviews. on the contrary, if you don't want anything to do with academia or research, it is easy enough to do some study in music theory or whatever interests you...you just have to put up with the scholarly project coordinators bugging you to do the 3-5 minute update report every quarter.
5) Boards suck, and the curriculum here doesn't teach towards them (I can't speak for USC though). It is mostly an individual effort, but you are given several dedicated months to prepare. If you think you have what it takes to do integrated plastics or derm, then you should be smart enough to get a representative score. If you don't care that much, then you can probably expect a lower score. Pitt traditionally does well above average though (i'd guess mid-220s to 230)
6) SoCal and Pittsburgh are pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum. For a med student though, the 'burgh isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It is cheap as $hit compared to LA, and there is enough to do that you can be occupied. The people are nice, and the city has a distinct personality and culture that I assure you will not be found elsewhere. Of course, if you've lived in LA for all of your life, then you'll probably need some adjusting.

6) SoCal and Pittsburgh are pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum. For a med student though, the 'burgh isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It is cheap as $hit compared to LA, and there is enough to do that you can be occupied. The people are nice, and the city has a distinct personality and culture that I assure you will not be found elsewhere. Of course, if you've lived in LA for all of your life, then you'll probably need some adjusting.

To add to the cultural stuff, if you like that, the big museums here are all free to students during the school year. So if you want to check out any art, natural history, etc. it's free to you with your student ID. T-rex is coming soon (I think June) and I'm probably going as soon as the school year restarts and they give us our free admission.

The theater district is also really nice. There's a few theaters and depending on the event, you can get discounted student tickets. Broadway shows and some good orchestra concerts come through here. I've gotten to see Chicago while here and since it's a smaller city, the tickets were ~$20 the day of the show, where you can pay more than twice as much as that (and I've had for some shows in Chicago) and have to plan months in advance.

So I visited both schools for the second look, and I really liked both of them. I think the problem was that neither school was originally a top choice, which is why I am not totally sure. Both schools had amazing, fun students that seemed like they had lives outside school. I did like USC's P/F grading system and USC's big thing was the fact that they have a county hospital and they have amazing clinical opportunities for their students. They also told us at second look that they consistently have top 5 in average board scores. In addition, they did amazing in the match, placing like 8 people in derm, and 10 in ortho. However, I feel like Pitt might be more prestigious, just because it is a top 15 school. But, they may not be true and the opinions I have heard might be biased because I am from the Pittsburgh area. Does ranking really matter all that much?

I'm having trouble deciding if having UPMC be the only major hospital center in the area is a better thing than the interesting clinical experiences that you can get at the county hospital at USC. What do you guys think?

I just want some more input from people who might know more about USC. Like quality of life, etc. I know its a personal decision, etc, but more information never hurts, right?

Thanks to everyone who already replied :)

So I visited both schools for the second look, and I really liked both of them. I think the problem was that neither school was originally a top choice, which is why I am not totally sure. Both schools had amazing, fun students that seemed like they had lives outside school. I did like USC's P/F grading system and USC's big thing was the fact that they have a county hospital and they have amazing clinical opportunities for their students. They also told us at second look that they consistently have top 5 in average board scores. In addition, they did amazing in the match, placing like 8 people in derm, and 10 in ortho. However, I feel like Pitt might be more prestigious, just because it is a top 15 school. But, they may not be true and the opinions I have heard might be biased because I am from the Pittsburgh area. Does ranking really matter all that much?

I'm having trouble deciding if having UPMC be the only major hospital center in the area is a better thing than the interesting clinical experiences that you can get at the county hospital at USC. What do you guys think?

I just want some more input from people who might know more about USC. Like quality of life, etc. I know its a personal decision, etc, but more information never hurts, right?

Thanks to everyone who already replied :)

I interviewed at USC but not Pitt (u Penn and Jeff) What I don't like about USC is it is a commuter school not one lives close by the school so there is not as much team work. So you will be driving much more to get anywhere. Cost of living is far more. Tho a great school, weather is nice. I don't know about Pitt. but I was told that (for Penn and Jeff) it you don't like Philly after 2 years you can do your 3 and 4th year at any of 15 state wide hospitals . Pitt is a terrific school .... It is Cheaper!! here is the BIG question Where do you want to live long term..... East coast or west. My best advise is go where you want to live. Don't look at money or res programs. where is your heart? do want to get away from your family???? Are they important? Your going to get a great education at both schools. it is life style Good Luck please let us know what you decide.

I don't know about Pitt, but USC Keck offers a ton of opportunities as well. They definitely have enough money to satisfy all of your ambitions. And the clinical education that you would get at LA County is unparalleled.

Thanks for all your help deciding between the two schools. I feel that I am leaning 75% USC, 25% Pitt.

I am going to need your help again though. However, how big of a factor are the finances to you guys. USC is substantially more expensive, but I was getting really excited about USC until I saw the finaid package. Do you guys think USC and a change in scenery is worth being an extra hundred (or two) thousand in debt after graduation? I keep getting told to just go with my heart and ignore the money, but that is difficult to do!!

Again I really appreciate all of your comments! I hate being undecided because I had semidecided on USC until I thought about the money aspect.

100K is a lot of cash! Take it. Pitt is a great school and the debt level will have a bigger influence on your career choices then anything intrinsic to either school.

Thanks for all your help deciding between the two schools. I feel that I am leaning 75% USC, 25% Pitt.

I am going to need your help again though. However, how big of a factor are the finances to you guys. USC is substantially more expensive, but I was getting really excited about USC until I saw the finaid package. Do you guys think USC and a change in scenery is worth being an extra hundred (or two) thousand in debt after graduation? I keep getting told to just go with my heart and ignore the money, but that is difficult to do!!

Again I really appreciate all of your comments! I hate being undecided because I had semidecided on USC until I thought about the money aspect.

Who is telling you this? Dreamy eyed pre-meds on SDN, or your rich uncle who has provided for you in his will?

Take the money and run.

Pitt is a better school from USC. In case you care, USC tends to have a stigma that anyone can get in as long as you have the money for it. This is mostly true for its undergrad ("You don't go to USC, you end up at USC"), but not true for its med school. But USC is a rich school with an enormous alumni network.