Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloe5

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

For those of you who interviewed at Pitt:
What did you think of it? I am deciding whether or not to make the trip for the interview, given extremely limited resources. Is it worthwhile to go? People are telling me it is a great place, but I am feeling a little blah from fall interviews. Potential comparison institutions: NYU, Rochester, Vanderbilt

Any advice?
Thanks
Chloe

Members don't see this ad.

It's a pretty good place. Out of 11 interviews, it stands out among a handful for me (Wash U, Hopkins, Columbia, and others)

Pitt is a great school - but everyone has different criteria for what they want in a school (research vs clinical, PBL vs lecture, cost, patient-base, location, etc) as well as what kind of place they want to live. Unfortunately it's a tough call to make those balances even for oneself, let alone a stranger on the internet :(

Sorry I can't be more helpful - Pitt is a great school - but I think only you can really decide what attracted you to the school in the first place and whether you think it ranks high enough for you personally to merit the trip. I know you mention other schools for comparison but do you have actual offers in hand? That too should probably influence your decision...

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't ask for anyone to make a decision for me. I asked for people's opinions about the place. Like...why did *you* think Pitt was so "great" or not so great. I thought I might add this information when making my own decision. Obviously there have been many posts like this, I'm not the first to ask this sort of question about a school. And yes, I could re-read MSAR. And yes I've already been accepted to places and the places that I listed are potentially my "top choices." And all these factors do play in to the decision
Thanks anyway-
c

Originally posted by the boy wonder
Pitt is a great school - but everyone has different criteria for what they want in a school (research vs clinical, PBL vs lecture, cost, patient-base, location, etc) as well as what kind of place they want to live. Unfortunately it's a tough call to make those balances even for oneself, let alone a stranger on the internet :(

Sorry I can't be more helpful - Pitt is a great school - but I think only you can really decide what attracted you to the school in the first place and whether you think it ranks high enough for you personally to merit the trip. I know you mention other schools for comparison but do you have actual offers in hand? That too should probably influence your decision...

I agree with patrick. I had the same number of interviews and Pitt definitely stood out to me. It was the last out of state interview I had and I stayed there the longest, so that may have influenced my point of view. I went to classes which were boring...but that was something I could expect. Their PBL session was cool and the group worked well together. Students were really nice and seemed to be a diverse group with actual lives outside of school. There are a good number of class hours at pitt balanced with PBL, and my overally impression is that it would be a great place to go. Since I'm from Cali, I find it hard to imagine going away, but if I were to go out of state, Pitt would be one of my top choices. Hope this helps.

I went to Pitt...but not any of the other places. But I really LOVED it. I had a lot of fun there, and the students were really nice and awesome. It's my feeling that you should check it out. It's a nice, fun interview (and really...how many schools can you say that about...or maybe it's because I was really hyper that day?? :) )

does anyone know if pitt is still inviting people for interviews?

Originally posted by lola
does anyone know if pitt is still inviting people for interviews?

I would assume so, since I got an email yesterday informing me that I need to finish my secondary. I am not going to apply there, but they would be jerks if they asked me to finish my secondary if they were not still interviewing.

I did a summer research project and really loved the school. I thought that I was competitive, this would be close to my nubmer one choice. I really like Pittsburgh, and the facilities that I saw were great.

when I visited they said they continued interviewing even after the mass-acceptance date - at which point their acceptances became rolling. So yes, that would mean they will be interviewing for a while yet, and I assume thus also making invites as I can't imagine they are booked out into April yet...

Lola,
I received an interview invite about a week ago (interviewing 2/4), so they are probably still sending out invites...unless I got the last one ;) !

For those who are interested in coming to Pgh, I just want to say "Welcome to Pgh" in advance. I am from Pitt so I want to make a little advertising for it. This is a very rich environment where it is good for learning. If you want to know more, contact the school and make an appointment to visit here. Then you will see what I mean. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

It seems from the comments here that Pitt is still interviewing - I just wish they were interviewing me. My application has been complete since early October and my application remains under review. It's obvious that Pitt is not extraordinarily excited about my application, however, does anyone know if I should retain any small amount of hope given that I have not yet been rejected? Is Pitt diligent in sending out rejections? Is there a possibility that I may be competing for the waitlist, or are Pitt's rejections doled out later after the busy interview season? These are difficult questions I know - the reason I'm stewing about this is because my wife must submit a $750 nonrefundable deposit to hold her acceptance at Pitt Dental School within the next five days or so. It is my fear that we'll put down the deposit and I'll be rejected not long after. Despite my explanation of this situation to Pitt over the phone, I was offered no hints other than "it's still going to be a little while before you hear anything." It didn't sound real encouraging. In any case, I hope I didn't offend anyone in the office over there. Thanks allowing me to share my frustrating (yet admittedly not so sad) story.

Krony

krony,
this probably isn't a big help, but pitt does send out rejections. several sdn'ers have gotten rejected, some fairly recently i believe. i am not really holding my breath for a pitt interview, but since we haven't been rejected yet i'd hope our apps were still under consideration.

It's certainly worth it. I really liked it when I went there, and hopefully, you'll get invited and will love it too. I think they notify people of acceptances sometime around march, so you still have plenty of time to hear from them for an interview. good luck.

didn't a Pitt student post something a few weeks ago saying that they will be sending out invites until January 10th, i.e. tomorrow, i.e. no invite tomorrow = no invite?

i apologize if i am wrong, but i'm pretty sure that's what i read. i was really really hoping for Pitt too :(

Hmmmm. I don't know. I know that they're non-rolling, and that they have a common notification date in March. January 10th seems a bit early, and if you're really that worried about it, maybe you should call the admissions office, rather than relying on someone else's information.

I hope you get an interview.

im a pitt student and can officially tell you guys to chill. in our first year class is a student who interviewed in june (they lost his application). pitt interviews through april normally. they have a massive acceptance date in the last week of february (they tell you guys march to prevent calls i think), and they are rolling after that.

Hey banannie -

My attempts to search for that post regarding Pitt and Jan. 10th have not been successful -- do you recall the name of the thread or any other possible search features?

Thanks

Hi Krony

I did a search using "pitt" and "jan" and found it:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums...37&perpage=20&highlight=pitt jan&pagenumber=2

Sorry if I didn't make the link right. Anyway, it's in the "Schools that are ignoring me" thread and was posted by CRAZYTERP, on page 2.

I was wrong about it being a Pitt student that posted, it was a friend of a Pitt student. Sorry about that. I just had that date burned into my brain, and didn't remember the particulars. Will be more careful in the future about posting things that feed the rumour mill.