Pitzer College & Western University BS/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smsc2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently attended a college fair and picked up some information on this combined program. I was wondering if anyone here on the board has any opinions about the program? I would assume that it is very competitive, correct? Some of the specialties I am interested in are Neurology, Psychiatry, Anesthesiology, (IM) - Nephrology, Dermatology, and Ortropedics. Would Western be a good place for Medical School if I am interested in these speicalties? Once I am in Medical School I will get a better feel for which one I want to make a career out of. Reading about Osteopathic Medicine I really do agree with the philosophy which I am excited about. One thing I am a bit neverous about (not worried) but neverous is I do have a physical disability. My disability does not interfere with much. I wear leg braces knee high which causes me to walk with a limp. I have talked with a number of physicians about a career in medicine and they have only encouraged me. Alot of you have been through the admissions process, would you suggest me mentioning my disability? If I do not mention it I do not want to show up to an interview and them wonder why I never mentioned it, however if I do I do not want my application to be looked down upon because of the disability. What do you guys think? I will not be applying to undergraduate school until next year (2008) so I still have sometime. Overall what do you think about this combined program and what would make me a more competitive applicant? I am already volunteering at a hospital so what stats should I am for? I know different things matter other than stats but give me an idea. I look foward to responses.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I recently attended a college fair and picked up some information on this combined program. I was wondering if anyone here on the board has any opinions about the program? I would assume that it is very competitive, correct? Some of the specialties I am interested in are Neurology, Psychiatry, Anesthesiology, (IM) - Nephrology, and Ortropedics. Would Western be a good place for Medical School if I am interested in these speicalties? Once I am in Medical School I will get a better feel for which one I want to make a career out of. Reading about Osteopathic Medicine I really do agree with the philosophy which I am excited about. One thing I am a bit neverous about (not worried) but neverous is I do have a physical disability. My disability does not interfere with much. I wear leg braces knee high which causes me to walk with a limp. I have talked with a number of physicians about a career in medicine and they have only encouraged me. Alot of you have been through the admissions process, would you suggest me mentioning my disability? If I do not mention it I do not want to show up to an interview and them wonder why I never mentioned it, however if I do I do not want my application to be looked down upon because of the disability. What do you guys think? I will not be applying to undergraduate school until next year (2008) so I still have sometime. Overall what do you think about this combined program and what would make me a more competitive applicant? I am already volunteering at a hospital so what stats should I am for? I know different things matter other than stats but give me an idea. I look foward to responses.
Thanks

I am not familiar with this partiular program, but in general, I advise against joint Bachelors/Medical programs.

1.) they limit your options way too early and force you into a track that many students re-consider.
2.) these programs may commit you to a single school when you will have plenty of options through the standard application cycles. If you were smart enough to get into a combined program, you should be smart enough to get in through the standard admissions process.
3.) you're 17-18, right? go to college, shadow a DO, then decide if it's what you want to be doing. It's one thing to read about what doctors do, it's another to see it in practice.

Apparently Western also has a joint program with CSU: San Bernardino. If anyone has any information or thoughts about this program, same questions apply.
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently admitted to the program (pitzer western 7 year DO program) and will be attending this fall. For competitiveness, they only accept six people. It wont be as hard (IMO) to get in as the USC bac/md or UCSD ba/md, but still quite competitive. Question about specialties, yes you will be able to do all of those that you specified after finishing Western. Just remember to take the USLME and COMLEX so you can go for both allopathic and osteopathic residencies. And about your leg brace, please put it in your essay and tell how it has affected your decision/view of becoming a doctor. It would really help because everyone at the interview had something unique that happen in their life, which shaped their perspective of becoming a doctor.

ill just post the stats if you really want it; but take with a grain of salt. i think your EC and your epiphany will be more important.

SAT: 740R 800M 760W
SAT IIs: 790 Chem, 790 Bio, 790IIC
APs:5's in bio, chem, psych, us hist, calc bc
Extra-Curriculars: (mortgage internship)
Medical-Related Stuff: shadowing doctor (nephrologist) , volunteer dialysis center

I was recently admitted to the program (pitzer western 7 year DO program) and will be attending this fall. For competitiveness, they only accept six people. It wont be as hard (IMO) to get in as the USC bac/md or UCSD ba/md, but still quite competitive. Question about specialties, yes you will be able to do all of those that you specified after finishing Western. Just remember to take the USLME and COMPLEX so you can go for both allopathic and osteopathic residencies. And about your leg brace, please put it in your essay and tell how it has affected your decision/view of becoming a doctor. It would really help because everyone at the interview had something unique that happen in their life, which shaped their perspective of becoming a doctor.
Thank you.
Wow, 6 people? I wonder how many apply. My essay will really have alot that may help me, my stats are decent not horrible and the high school I go to is very competitive in CA. Did you get a letter of recommendation from a D.O.? This is one thing I am worried about because I do not have any relationships with D.O.s (Patient, or Aqquaintance) however I am friendly with alot of M.D.s Do you think those letters of recommendation will be sufficent? If I am not lucky enough to get into a 7 year program like Western I plan on going to a private school on the east coast, getting a degree in Chemistry and then applying for med school. I would really love to go to the medical school where my father and some of my other family have gone to, but it is an MD school. After reading about the D.O. philosophy I really agree with it. I read some posts a while back where Allopathic students noted that even though they are not taught in school, alot of MD physicians pick it up over the years, and do agree with the philosophy. What do you guys think?
Thanks

and Congrats to you madamebovary

I was recently admitted to the program (pitzer western 7 year DO program) and will be attending this fall. For competitiveness, they only accept six people. It wont be as hard (IMO) to get in as the USC bac/md or UCSD ba/md, but still quite competitive. Question about specialties, yes you will be able to do all of those that you specified after finishing Western. Just remember to take the USLME and COMPLEX so you can go for both allopathic and osteopathic residencies. And about your leg brace, please put it in your essay and tell how it has affected your decision/view of becoming a doctor. It would really help because everyone at the interview had something unique that happen in their life, which shaped their perspective of becoming a doctor.

Better read up on DO school "doctor".

I wont comment on the "USMLE" misspell. Or did I just do that...

To the OP...if you like both schools, do the joint program.

Better read up on DO school "doctor".

I wont comment on the "USMLE" misspell. Or did I just do that...

To the OP...if you like both schools, do the joint program.

JPHazelton congrats on your match into a General Surgey residency.

I noticed you are going to PCOM. Philadelphia is an area I have visited numerous times and I really enjoy the city. I could see myself practicing there. Does PCOM have programs like Western? Do you think mentioning my disability in an essay would only be of help to me?
Thanks

o sorry guys i misspelled comlex and uslme- hehe

and um smsc2009, dont worry i shadowed an MD instead of a DO and told the MD to write me a rec.

once you get the interview spot (which is 10 people) your chances of gettin in is pretty good. I have no idea how many people apply.

Does PCOM have programs like Western? Do you think mentioning my disability in an essay would only be of help to me?
Thanks

PCOM has a 7 year BS/DO program with University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (www.usip.edu)

I dont think your disability will *help*, but there is no reason why it should hold you out of medical school.

As far as DO schools go, the only physical requirement is that of being able to participate in the OMM course. This requires full use an mobility of your both arms/hands.

my suggestion is to apply to all bs/do and bs/md programs out there if you know for sure you want to be a doctor.