Place out of Bio 151 with Dual Enrollment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cruz3r

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m Madison and I’m an incoming college freshman. I'm a bio major (as of now) on the pre-med track. I’m trying to decide if I should use my dual enrollment credit to move on to bio 152 or not. I know that some medical schools prefer that pre-requisites be taken at the university instead of through community college. I took this DE course during my senior year. I did get a high A, but then again it was high school. My high school was a 4x4 block schedule, so I took it Fall 2019. I’m definitely not the best at the subject because there’s always more to learn. I am taking this non-credit bio course through my college’s summer program. It’s supposed to prepare you for the fall semester without affecting your transcript and covers about a month or two of material. . It’s kind of like a mock-class. I haven’t been doing good on the quizzes, but I’m not sure if it’s just the teacher or the material or I’m still trying to find my way of studying / mastering the college style of learning. I see that there isn’t anything wrong with taking Bio 151 again because I can build a strong foundation and I already have a head-start so I can have a good grade, but I’m also not sure if I will get bored with the material. I have a hard time focusing sometimes during biology lectures, even during my DE credit, since sometimes the material can be a bit monotonous. I’m also not sure how some of the professors’ teaching styles are. I’ve also heard from people that Bio 152 can be hard, so I don’t know if I’d be ready as a freshman since I will be having 17 credits, which include biology, chemistry, and math 200 calculus. I was talking to my honors college advisor about this situation also, and she thinks that I would be okay to do Bio 152, but I’d like to hear your advice too.
Another concern is that when medical school applications come, what if they don’t accept my Bio 151 credit? And how relevant is both Bio 151 and 152 to the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I’m Madison and I’m an incoming college freshman. I'm a bio major (as of now) on the pre-med track. I’m trying to decide if I should use my dual enrollment credit to move on to bio 152 or not. I know that some medical schools prefer that pre-requisites be taken at the university instead of through community college. I took this DE course during my senior year. I did get a high A, but then again it was high school. My high school was a 4x4 block schedule, so I took it Fall 2019. I’m definitely not the best at the subject because there’s always more to learn. I am taking this non-credit bio course through my college’s summer program. It’s supposed to prepare you for the fall semester without affecting your transcript and covers about a month or two of material. . It’s kind of like a mock-class. I haven’t been doing good on the quizzes, but I’m not sure if it’s just the teacher or the material or I’m still trying to find my way of studying / mastering the college style of learning. I see that there isn’t anything wrong with taking Bio 151 again because I can build a strong foundation and I already have a head-start so I can have a good grade, but I’m also not sure if I will get bored with the material. I have a hard time focusing sometimes during biology lectures, even during my DE credit, since sometimes the material can be a bit monotonous. I’m also not sure how some of the professors’ teaching styles are. I’ve also heard from people that Bio 152 can be hard, so I don’t know if I’d be ready as a freshman since I will be having 17 credits, which include biology, chemistry, and math 200 calculus. I was talking to my honors college advisor about this situation also, and she thinks that I would be okay to do Bio 152, but I’d like to hear your advice too.
Another concern is that when medical school applications come, what if they don’t accept my Bio 151 credit? And how relevant is both Bio 151 and 152 to the MCAT?

Don’t load up on bio, chem and calculus first semester freshman year. College is a different beast and you don’t need to rush things.

Don’t load up on bio, chem and calculus first semester freshman year. College is a different beast and you don’t need to rush things.
That’s a standard first semester for most life science majors. I took all three and was fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course there is something wrong with taking the class again, you will have to list is as a repeat, do not repeat the class. move onto the next

So I dropped a multi variable calc class offered by the math department and took a W. The following semester I took a multivariable calculus class offered by the statistics department. The course content overlapped but was not exactly the same. Is that considered a repeat?

151 and 152 are relevant to MCAT but you wont remember a single thing you learned in them by the time you take it and will have to self study anyway. 152/chem 103.104.109/math 221(?) is a tough but doable semester. 152 is very memorization based but not too difficult. into chem here is a joke if you are good at chem. Math 221/222 is different. 221 isnt bad especially if you took calc in HS but 222 sucks. 234 I didnt take but heard isnt as bad as 222 as long as you like vectors.