Places to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as1212559

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Traditional 4 year undergrad biology major junior. Ohio Res.

3.3cGPA/3.0sGPA/29
Should be closer to 3.4/3.1 by time of application.
Strong upward in upper level sciencetrend 3.0 freshman/ 3.2 sophomore/ 3.7+ junior. Non-science GPA is 4.0 I think.

-Good volunteerism. Probably letter from organization director with whom I have worked.
-Good research. ~1.5 years ongoing, several hundred hours, independent project awarded funding from university, authored poster from project. Letter from PI.
-Good leadership. 2-year president of Pre-SOMA on campus, 2 year executive of highly active volunteer group. Planned small and large scale events for both groups.
-Reasonable clinical experience? ~20+ hours ER D.O., 8 hrs with one primary care D.O., 40+ hours with primary/urgent care D.O. ongoing (probable LOR). Future shadowing palliative care D.O. aiming for ~20+ hours pre-primary submission. Possible shadowing surgeons etc after primary is in (would update via letter of ongoing shadowing). 2 week clinic mission trip in Central America exposure to underserved/int'l med.
-Presumably decent LORS from 2 faculty as well (one secured, one pending. Assuming they will be decent LORs, both profs have had me in 2 classes and know the type of student I am.)
-Personal statement showing motivation and growth during UG.

My glaring issue is my rather low sGPA, hovering just above some screen-outs, but I managed to drag it above 3.0 at least this year. I will be taking biochem and physiology in the fall during my cycle to continue my upward trend giving me a boost in December and hopefully balancing some low science grades from first 2 years. Is my clinical experience too low? I also lack clinical volunteering.

Edit: Forgot to mention, research PI and D.O. are med school faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

3.3cGPA/3.0sGPA/29
Strong upward in upper level sciencetrend 3.0 freshman/ 3.2 sophomore/ 3.7+ junior. Non-science GPA is 4.0 I think.

-Good volunteerism. Probably letter from organization director with whom I have worked.
-Good research. ~1.5 years ongoing, several hundred hours, independent project awarded funding from university, authored poster from project. Letter from PI.
-Good leadership. 2-year president of Pre-SOMA on campus, 2 year executive of highly active volunteer group. Planned small and large scale events for both groups.
-Reasonable clinical experience? ~20+ hours ER D.O., 8 hrs with one primary care D.O., 40+ hours with primary/urgent care D.O. ongoing (probable LOR). Future shadowing palliative care D.O. aiming for ~20+ hours pre-primary submission. Possible shadowing surgeons etc after primary is in (would update via letter of ongoing shadowing). 2 week clinic mission trip in Central America exposure to underserved/int'l med.
-Presumably decent LORS from 2 faculty as well (one secured, one pending. Assuming they will be decent LORs, both profs have had me in 2 classes and know the type of student I am.)

My glaring issue is my rather low sGPA, hovering just above some screen-outs, but I managed to drag it above 3.0 at least this year. I will be taking biochem and physiology in the fall during my cycle to continue my upward trend giving me a boost in December and hopefully balancing some low science grades from first 2 years. Is my clinical experience too low? I also lack clinical volunteering.

Do you have any clinical experience other than the 2-week trip? Shadowing is generally not considered active experience.

If I were you, I would apply while keeping your grades as high as possible in as many science classes as possible through the cycle (at least until you are accepted). That way you will be in a better position to apply next cycle if needed, but you still have a decent shot at getting in this cycle. :luck:

Do you have any clinical experience other than the 2-week trip? Shadowing is generally not considered active experience.

If I were you, I would apply while keeping your grades as high as possible in as many science classes as possible through the cycle (at least until you are accepted). That way you will be in a better position to apply next cycle if needed, but you still have a decent shot at getting in this cycle. :luck:

I do not have any active clinical experience other than that. I could do a clinical records-ish volunteer job in the local ER over the summer (I forget the details but I know several pre-meds who have done it), but it would not make it into my primary, as submitting by mid-June at the latest is big for me.

I am going to take a full year of biochem with physiology in the fall and immuno or virology in the spring in case I have to go again next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not have any active clinical experience other than that. I could do a clinical records-ish volunteer job in the local ER over the summer (I forget the details but I know several pre-meds who have done it), but it would not make it into my primary, as submitting by mid-June at the latest is big for me.

I am going to take a full year of biochem with physiology in the fall and immuno or virology in the spring in case I have to go again next cycle.
I would try to start some volunteering that involves patient contact ASAP (not sure if the records volunteering involves patient contact). Something in a free clinic or hospice would be good if there are no patient contact positions available at hospitals in your area. Still apply, but make the clinical volunteering something you keep up at least until your are accepted to improve your application for a potential next cycle as well. :luck:

3.3cGPA/3.0sGPA/29

As an Ohio resident, I'd think you'd want to do everything possible to become an appealing candidate for your in-state DO school, with its attractively low tuition (relatively speaking). OU-HCOM values both active clinical experience and passive shadowing. And your GPAs are below their average matriculant stats. Unless you are in a big hurry or finances are not a concern, (or the dean guarantees to take you) I think it would be well worthwhile to wait a year before applying, beef up the ECs including US-based active clinical experience with patient interaction and maybe adding some rural shadowing if you are not from a rural area, and doing further sGPA improvement. If targeting this school is attractive to you, you might even call and make an appointment to discuss your application with a dean, asking what you can do to improve your candidacy.

If you are intent on applying this season, you are by no means a shoo-in anywhere and I agree with theseeker4's cautionary note about continuing with relevant activities through this cycle in case you end up reapplying. Nice MCAT though, and a lot of nice Experiences otherwise.