Places to live in Houston.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillu

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - I will be starting Hem/Onc fellowship at Baylor, Houston. I am looking for recommendations on areas where I can look for an apartment or condo or town house to rent. Reasonable commute and being closer to shopping (costco/walmart/grocery stores) will be deciding factors for me.

Thank you for your help.
P

Members don't see this ad.

Hello - I will be starting Hem/Onc fellowship at Baylor, Houston. I am looking for recommendations on areas where I can look for an apartment or condo or town house to rent. Reasonable commute and being closer to shopping (costco/walmart/grocery stores) will be deciding factors for me.

Thank you for your help.
P
I would recommend living about a mile north of the med center in the Montrose area. It's vibrant, and one of the few parts of Houston where you can walk to restaurants/cafes/shopping/multiple Whole Foods :) It's been named one of the top 10 neighborhoods in the country! There's many duplexes in the area, and apartments and condos. I love going jogging through the kitschy historical parts of the area, and I'm really going to miss this place ;)

I would recommend living about a mile north of the med center in the Montrose area. It's vibrant, and one of the few parts of Houston where you can walk to restaurants/cafes/shopping/multiple Whole Foods :) It's been named one of the top 10 neighborhoods in the country! There's many duplexes in the area, and apartments and condos. I love going jogging through the kitschy historical parts of the area, and I'm really going to miss this place ;)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Museum District

There are many nice condos and apartments very close to the med center. I recommend getting as close as you can because you do not want to "commute" in Houston traffic, you will hate your life.

+1 for Montrose. Stayed with my dad who lived there while rotating at UT-H. Very easy commute and lots to do in the neighborhood.

Rental market might be pretty tight, but the area just north of the medical center, whether West University, Upper Kirby, or Montrose is fine. 10-15 minutes or less to the medical center.

Midtown is another option. More of a party scene. Depends what you're into. I rent in East Montrose, buying a house in the Heights. The Heights is kind of a hipster/yipster area that's undergone transformation into a family-friendly area with a lot of new construction. Easy <20 minute bike ride into the medical center from where I live right now, will be a little longer ride from the Heights.