Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Places to live with students in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Dental' started by scoparli, Apr 16, 2007.

1. scoparli

scoparli New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Im going to University of maryland and I was wondering where the best place to live for a 1st year would be? Im assuming Fayette Square because thats what they gave us at the interview. Are there any other places that are close to campus, nice, cheap,etc. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kehmon

kehmon New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm sort of wondering the same thing. Have you looked at the links from their housing site? They have a lot of links to local apartment communities - many of which are luxury apartments, but can be in the $650-800 per person if you're willing to share an apt. with another person.

I chatted with a 4th year who suggested staying on the east side of MLK.

From what I know, Fayette Square is the on-campus housing and it comes furnished, if that's what you're looking for.

4. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    There is an OK chance i'll be at UMD next year (or so Dr. Meehan told me) & i've done some research on living situations in baltimore.

I've heard that fayette square sucks. over-priced and has a very sterile feel to it. i found some apartment ratings that suggested the same & also said that the management is awful. I would stay away from that place.

Other places that I have heard positive things about... Redwood Towers, Sail Cloth Factory, and camden courts. Theses places are all fairly close (i.e. walking distance to the dental school) and reside on the east side of MLK. I actually visited Redwood Towers when i interviewed at UMD and was very impressed. although it is on the expensive end, it is very posh and the residents all seemed happy. many students, including dental kids, live there...that's a plus.

Basically, you are going to pay to live in a close, nice place to the d-school. if you're looking for something cheaper search craigs list. search ridgley's delight, camden yards, union square, or washington square for places close to the school. many of these places are on the "other side" of MLK so be careful. however, dr. meehan said that this area is rapidly improving as there is a lot of rehabbing going on.

Hopefully i provided some good info. kinda sad i know so much seeing as though i haven't been accepted yet, but hopefully i'll get the letter/call soon. best of luck finding a place to live--hopefully we'll be classmates next yr.

jb!:)

5. drdent2010

Dental Student
  6. drdent2010

Dental Student
    Hi,

I am a rising second year and I will be living near the campus next year. This past year, I commuted about 15 minutes from campus, which is not too bad. If you are planning on living near the campus and dont want to pay too much, you could check out the off campus housing website.

http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/ads/index.cfm

If you are interested in living near campus but not necessarily in campus housing, you might want to visit the city, get a feel for some of the areas.

If you end up coming early and want some junk to practice with, I can give it to you when you get here.

Dent