Quantcast

Places to study/escape inthe morning-- i.e. 5 am

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MickyMyki

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay ya'll so I am an early riser and was wondering what I would do should I stay at home for med school. I don't want to be influenced too much by my parents (who can be crazy/angry) and would like to use the house just for sleeping/showering pretty much. Say I wake up early 5-6 am...where could I go to start my day? Where to escape to?

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Library, gym, cafe, empty lecture hall/classroom, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
coffee shop

Reactions: 1 users

Donald Juan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your school will almost assuredly have many areas you can hang out or study in that will be 24 hours.

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks...but the thing about coffee shops is you have to spend money every morning...

Technically you don't but they kinda frown upon it

TheFutureFatMan

Faking it till I'm making it
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
starbucks is free refills. a tall coffee is roughly 2 bucks, depending where you live. that's a pretty fair deal for a dedicated study spot with Heat/AC, bottomless coffee and wifi.

Reactions: 3 users

TheFutureFatMan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Follow up...as a former barista we love regulars. If you're polite, and nice, and hitting the books...we'll hook you up. We had med students that camped out all day when I was doing the starbucks grind. We used to give them markouts and samples all the time. For something like black coffee, which we WAY overbrew, we stopped charging after a couple weeks. A smile and conversation go a long way, especially there.

Reactions: 8 users

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay ya'll so I am an early riser and was wondering what I would do should I stay at home for med school. I don't want to be influenced too much by my parents (who can be crazy/angry) and would like to use the house just for sleeping/showering pretty much. Say I wake up early 5-6 am...where could I go to start my day? Where to escape to?

Isn't the medical school building open? Should be considering residents/3rd years/ etc. have to study at various times.

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
starbucks is free refills. a tall coffee is roughly 2 bucks, depending where you live. that's a pretty fair deal for a dedicated study spot with Heat/AC, bottomless coffee and wifi.

Wait what

Reactions: 6 users

Crayola227

Contrary to rumor I am not Jesus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
sometimes even as an MS1 depending how they structure clinical contact through the preclin years and how close it is to your campus can access the hospital, which is definitely open 24/7, and often you can find some free computer somewhere, or you might be lucky enough there's a med student lounge with comps

#when in doubt live in the hospital

Last edited:

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you not know about this?? lol. Coffee and tea only though, no special crap like chocolate carmellatte mochachino espresso shot blend

Nope. I've always wondered why they charge so much.

hurtem&healem

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread has changed my life

#realtalk

Reactions: 3 users

<L>

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be influenced too much by my parents (who can be crazy/angry)

I know there are probably cultural issues at play here, but man, there are some bigger issues here than just which local Starbucks opens before dawn.

TheFutureFatMan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
sometimes even as an MS1 depending how they structure clinical contact through the preclin years and how close it is to your campus, definitely is open 24/7, and often you can find some free computer somewhere, or you might be lucky enough there's a med student lounge with comps

#when in doubt live in the hospital
Hahaha I have a magic pass at one of our hospitals. My observer badge opens all of zee doors. I took that as a sign from the medical gods that I am meant to have my coffee and food subsidized for as long as possible.