Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Places to Study in D.C.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shpate, Aug 28, 2002.

1. shpate

shpate Member

Actually I need a place closer to the NIH in the Rockville area but I'm willing to travel. I'm looking for something like a library that is open 24 hrs a day. I just moved to this area from Chicago which had NW whose business school was open 24 hrs a day. Does Maryland state have this or John Hopkins. Any sort of nice quiet place would help. Thanks everyone.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

GW's undergrad library has a 24-hour study room but I dont think they allow non-GW students access to that room afterhours.

DOCTORSAIB

4. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, other than GW's Gelman library, I don't know any other places open 24 hrs a day. Nowhere on NIH campus does that happen.

5. hoping4amiracle

hoping4amiracle Junior Member

How about Borders or Barnes and Noble.... Or, you could try maryland libraries....

Doesn't the NIH campus have any libs?

6. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, 2 (1 good one and 1 that sucks big time), but they aren't open after 5 or 6 p.m. But, the National Library of Medicine (the good one) is awesome for research.

7. surge

surge Medicinski Znanstvenik

I don't know about D.C. per se , but you might try places like Denny's or Perkin's. We do it all the time (all-nighters), and they even have coffee/food right there! Depends on the type of studing, though, and whether you are one of those people that needs the absolute quiet of the library. Also, a good place to try is Kinko's - they're open 24 hrs, and most have a room where they have computers and workstations, which you can just go to and do your own work. Interestingly, we never have problems even though, technically, we generate no business. I guess they don't mind having students there, and, hey, if they stay on your good side, you'll come to them when you really do need to spend some money. Good luck.

8. shpate

shpate Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just moved to the area last week so I'm trying to find a place where I can work on my secondaries. It's such a pain for me to get work done in my apartment with all the distractions. I'm just curious but how many people on the forum are currently working at the NIH. I'm actually starting there next week.

9. Pembleton

Pembleton Senior Member

Georgetown also has a 24 hour reading room. All may come too.

10. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey! Maybe we can get together! I'll be working at NIH for another year...;)

11. shpate

shpate Member

Hey Kaos what department are you working in? I'm working over at NIDDK for Dr. Pechhold. I'm studying the causes of type I Diabetes. What about you?

12. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    Lab of Neural Control, Dr. O'Donovan, in NINDS. PM me!

13. shreebee

shreebee Senior Member

Try Georgetown...I just started graduate school here, so I'm not that familiar with the campus, but I'm pretty sure something is open 24 hours/day here.