Placing in a NJ non-primary care residency after NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spoke to head of GME program at NOVA and from her information it is clear NOVA students return to NJ for residency in ALL PRIMARY CARE AREAS. However, PLACING IN A NON-PRIMARY CARE RESIDENCY in a NJ hospital, ie. dermatology, opthalmology etc., is MUCH more unlikely. I appreciated her honesty. It seem the more competitive residencies often go to students who have the advantage of rotating through hospitals in the Northeast area during their clerkships. It is during these clerkships when,if all goes right, students can "network" with hospital RD's and staff physicians, perhaps opening the door for future relationships when it comes time for residency placement. There also is the advantage of the educational consortium/agreements certain schools in the Northeast, such as NYCOM and PCOM have with hospitals. Apparently, a certain number of residency seats at Affiliate Hospitals are guaranteed to graduates of these schools. Coming from NOVA it seems I loose that advantage if I return to NJ. I am concerned about eliminating the possiblity of pursueing a non-primary care residency option if I decide I want to go that route. DO I HAVE MY FACTS STRAIGHT? Any comments are welcome. I am tremendously impressed with NOVA but this is something I need to clarify. Thanks

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 02-12-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

I think everything you said is right on the ball, except the comment about affiliate schools reserving seats for their graduates. It simply isn't true.

NYCOMEC operates several programs in NJ hospitals, particularly at St. Barnabas of Livingston, NJ, but none at all are reserved for NYCOM grads. NYCOMEC is open to ALL DO graduates regardless of which DO school they attended, BUT the flip side is that NYCOMEC guarantees EACH NYCOM grad a residency seat SOMEWHERE in their program (I don't know about what specialty, what hospital, etc.).

No med school reserves seats for their own, although they usually show preference for their graduates. Maybe that's what the NOVA lady meant.

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 02-12-2000).]

Tim of New York City, aka Turtleboard
thanks AGAIN for the good inf. and clear thinking! We've emailed and exhanged posts before as you may remember. You have always been right on the mark, which has been extremely helpful!
Your clarification is important as in spite of my confusion about some of the details of placing in a residency, my overall understanding of the process (as it pertains to the state where you attend medical school and WHERE you do your clinical rotations)is valid. In my particular case, regardless of that lovely Florida sun, I better really think this through ONE MORE TIME!
Is it August yet?

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I remember you. How have you been? (Email me on that one)
smile.gif

Hardly August, that's why you have plenty of time to decide. I still think you should go with the school that makes you happiest. Practicing in a NJ hospital isn't all the difficult, as there are plenty of them and plenty of residency spots.

If you're headed towards a specialty practice (non-primary care), and you mentioned opthamology, you should probably make some great connections in NJ during the summers (research, etc.) and schedule a couple of elective audition rotations during your MS4 year at NOVA (if that is, in fact, where you're going). Remember, however, that if you schedule an elective through NYCOMEC the school probably gives preference for all rotations to their own students and you'll get last pick. It's like that at all medical schools -- they take care of their own first, then others.

Tim of New York City.

Tim (Turtleboard)
Hi - you have been helpful again as usual! Hope to get some more info this week and will go from there in making a decision. I'll email you off the board.
Hope this year is going well for you. Are you and your fellow med students up to your necks in work or do you still have some time for "a life"? Sounds to me like you've got it pretty well figured out. It's all about balance! Take care and THANKS AGAIN!

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 02-14-2000).]