GiftoftheGods

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Guys,

I was having trouble planning out what I have to do to get into Medical School and I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. Here are my details

Asian (Chinese)
Rising Senior at Ohio State University
MCAT: 507 (1st time) to 520 (2nd time)
AMCAS GPA: 3.10 sGPA: 3.02

Research:

Freshman Year : A poster presentation in one lab
Junior Year and Ongoing: 1 publication in another lab. Hopefully some other publications in the pipeline.

Around 300 Hours total so far and continuing

Clinical Volunteering:

400 hours at one hospital from High School to now
100 Hours at another hospital from Freshman year of college to ongoing

Nonclinical Volunteering:

200 Hours in a School Organization: Some service awards (Ongoing)
100 Hours in another Organization working with People in need (Ongoing)

Leadership:

E-Board in three organizations

I know that I need to improve my GPA to have any chance at Medical School. I calculated my AMCAS grades after a full year of courses and getting A's in them to be GPA of 3.30 and sGPA of 3.21. Is my best shot at getting into Medical School through an SMP or is a Research Gap year enough?

Is there any chance of me getting into a Mid-tier or higher? Any advice is appreciated.

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ice Coast
If you can get your GPA up to that 3.3/3.2 you might get some love from some schools. For individuals applying with a 36-38 MCAT and 3.20-3.39 GPA 52% were accepted somewhere (source below). What's your trend like? Is the low GPA due to a rough start to college or have you been up and down throughout the years? If you have been doing well in your upper level courses, paired with your great MCAT, I would think a SMP might be a good idea for you since you would seem able to handle it.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
With a 520 MCAT you're clearly very intelligent. But your GPA is, as you know, quite low by medical school standards.

If I were reviewing your application, I'd want to know why. Lazy? Unmotivated? Party scene? Inconsistent performer? Disorganized?

Reactions: gyngyn

Swish16

2+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Do an SMP or a postbacc to boost your sGPA to at least a 3.4 before you apply

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP
G

GiftoftheGods

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
If you can get your GPA up to that 3.3/3.2 you might get some love from some schools. For individuals applying with a 36-38 MCAT and 3.20-3.39 GPA 52% were accepted somewhere (source below). What's your trend like? Is the low GPA due to a rough start to college or have you been up and down throughout the years? If you have been doing well in your upper level courses, paired with your great MCAT, I would think a SMP might be a good idea for you since you would seem able to handle it.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf
My Freshman GPA was 2.57, Sophomore GPA was 3.05, and Junior GPA was 3.3

With a 520 MCAT you're clearly very intelligent. But your GPA is, as you know, quite low by medical school standards.

If I were reviewing your application, I'd want to know why. Lazy? Unmotivated? Party scene? Inconsistent performer? Disorganized?
I came from a upper class and sheltered background. When I got to college I had easy access to money and a lot more freedom so I partied for the better part of 2.5 years. I didn't go to class often and for much of Freshman and Sophomore Year I didn't do anything unless it was worth 5% or more of my grade.

It was a lot of self-inflicted damage.

Why did you take the MCAT without preparing and have such mediocre performance in classes?

He actually falls into the 40% odds bin for Asian applicants:

https://www.aamc.org/download/321516/data/factstablea24-3.pdf

Are you an Ohio resident?
I did not prepare nearly enough and realized it but I still took it because of pressure from my parents.

I am an Ohio resident.

Last edited:

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Being an Ohio resident is a +. That may be your saving grace. Try to get your sGPA to 3.3

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
My Freshman GPA was 2.57, Sophomore GPA was 3.05, and Junior GPA was 3.3

I came from a upper class and sheltered background. When I got to college I had easy access to money and a lot more freedom so I partied for the better part of 2.5 years. I didn't go to class often and for much of Freshman and Sophomore Year I didn't do anything unless it was worth 5% or more of my grade.

It was a lot of self-inflicted damage.
OK - so immaturity plus party-animal.

Paybacks are Hell and you need to start peddling. I would want to see 2-3 years of GOOD behavior to offset 2-3 years of BAD. Demonstrate that you have grown up and that you understand the seriousness of your situation.

Maybe an SMP with a linkage program?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Ohio's a good state for MD admission. There are never clear cut one size fits all solutions in cases like these but the first thing is focus on doing as well as possible this year your senior year. That's really all that matters right now. If you cant do that nothing else really matters.

See where your GPA is after that. Maybe consider doing some informal post bacc work after. If you have the resources maybe consider even delaying graduation a semester or two if it can raise your GPA a fair amount. If you do well this year I wouldnt really go for an SMP without at least trying out an app cycle first. See how much mileage you can get out of your MCAT first, a 520 even after multiple attempts still carries alot of weight and might bail you out in a good state. You have the luxury of a 520 most people who have to do SMPs dont should try and utilize it.

Last edited: