DO Plan of Attack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm over halfway through my junior year as a Medical diagnostics student. My cGPA is currently 3.175 and my BCPM GPA is 3.08. My grades in BCPM courses are as follows
Gen Chem 1: A-
Gen Chem 2: B-
Orgo 1: C-
Orgo 2: B
Elementary Biochem: B+
Intro Bio 1: A-
Intro Bio 2: AP credit
Human Physiology: B
Gen Physiology: B-
Microbiology: A
Molecular Biology: C+
Physics 1: A-
Physics 2: B
Pre-calc: B-
Calc: Community College
Can other courses that are not explicitly listed as chemistry courses count toward BCPM? For example I'm taking clinical and physiological chemistry this semester but its classified as a medical technology course and not a chemistry course in the university catalog.

For Senior year I plan on retaking organic chemistry 1 in the fall and retaking Molecular biology along with Genetics in the spring. (spring is empty otherwise except for a capstone course) Assuming straight A's in those 3 courses my sGPA can be bumped to a 3.21 since grade replacement is no longer a thing (3.3 if it was).

Should I be retaking organic chemistry and molecular biology? Or should I take other high level bio courses? Should I take an extra high level course my senior spring? I plan on taking my MCAT this July. Any other recommendations for course scheduling?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably need to retake Orgo 1 - Most schools require at least a C. I don't think it is worth it to retake your C+ in Molecular biology now that grade replacement is no longer a thing. Definitely don't retake it if you aren't certain you can get an A on the retake.

Medical science courses are counted as part of your science GPA for AACOMAS. Your Math courses are NOT counted as part of your science GPA for AACOMAS but will count if you decide to apply to MD schools too.

This like lists the course classifications for DO applications: http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...-history-2/aacomas-course-subjects/index.html

When are you taking your MCAT?