This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochem18!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science GPA is 2.95 and overall 3.2 as a chemistry and spanish major and I have not taken the MCAT yet. My plan is to raise my science GPA to at least a 3.0 taking post-bacc classes, take the MCAT, then apply to special masters programs. I have everything else including research, volunteering, publications, and leadership down.

I am perfectly capable of getting As in difficult courses so I am not worried about whether or not I can do well in the future. I rarely studied for my courses as an undergrad due to illness and just not being sure if I wanted to go to medical school. I am 100% sure now and looking for some advice.

Is this a good plan? Are there other ways I can go about getting into med school with where I am currently?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why take post-bac. classes if you plan on doing an SMP anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why take post-bac. classes if you plan on doing an SMP anyway?

I suspect that the SMPs OP is looking at have minimum GPA requirements. Also, no harm in supplementing undergraduate performance.

(EDIT: Just before I post this, OP confirms my suspicions!)

Best of luck, OP, and may you find great health and success in your endeavors!

Reactions: 1 user
My science GPA is 2.95 and overall 3.2 as a chemistry and spanish major and I have not taken the MCAT yet. My plan is to raise my science GPA to at least a 3.0 taking post-bacc classes, take the MCAT, then apply to special masters programs. I have everything else including research, volunteering, publications, and leadership down.

I am perfectly capable of getting As in difficult courses so I am not worried about whether or not I can do well in the future. I rarely studied for my courses as an undergrad due to illness and just not being sure if I wanted to go to medical school. I am 100% sure now and looking for some advice.

Is this a good plan? Are there other ways I can go about getting into med school with where I am currently?

no one has mentioned this yet but obviously if you do very, very well on your MCAT (515+) after acing your post bac coursework, you could always opt for another year of post bac or a lower risk masters program in lieu of the SMP.

this would be my recommendation!

no one has mentioned this yet but obviously if you do very, very well on your MCAT (515+) after acing your post bac coursework, you could always opt for another year of post bac or a lower risk masters program in lieu of the SMP.

A 515 MCAT with a 3.0 sGPA and a 3.2 cGPA would actually be worth applying to DO schools imo.

Don't want to pay for a 50-60k SMP if you don't have to.

what do you mean by low risk masters?

I think he means:

Like a biology masters where its easy to get 3.7+ GPA.

Not like a physics masters where you could be scrambling to keep a 3.0 GPA.

A 515 MCAT with a 3.0 sGPA and a 3.2 cGPA would actually be worth applying to DO schools imo.

OP’s MCAT doesn’t have to be that high. Something close to 510 would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD could be viable with an MCAT above 515. Mine was below a 515 and my post-bac work was probably fewer credits than what I'd recommend for others.. I had many DO interviews and acceptances, a few MD interviews and one acceptance.

I mean a masters of biomedical science sort of program where you are not competing against hundreds of other students for x number of linked spots to medical school. I know a number of people who went this route after having a bad performance in undergrad and only further dug themselves into a hole by not producing the numbers they needed (i.e. 3.7+) in difficult, med school level coursework.

The only SMP that should be on your radar is Temple's ACMS program, which is analogous to being offered acceptance to a 5 year MD program.