Plan to take both USMLE I and II this summer...any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peace&Health

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO student and just realized that it is important to take USMLE if applying to residencies in California, which is where I am from. I am also taking COMLEX II.

This is my study plan and I'm wondering what other folks in my situation did. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Standardized testing is not one of my strengths.

I plan to study for USMLE II and COMLEX II for 3 wks, take USMLE II , then COMLEX II 3 days later. Then study for and take USMLE I 10 days later, focusing on the details. Unfortunately, I don't have too much time off.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a DO student and just realized that it is important to take USMLE if applying to residencies in California, which is where I am from. I am also taking COMLEX II.

This is my study plan and I'm wondering what other folks in my situation did. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Standardized testing is not one of my strengths.

I plan to study for USMLE II and COMLEX II for 3 wks, take USMLE II , then COMLEX II 3 days later. Then study for and take USMLE I 10 days later, focusing on the details. Unfortunately, I don't have too much time off.

Thanks!

Thats gonna be very...very...very difficult. You could be setting yourself up for a big let down once you make it to Step I, which will hurt you more than help you.

Maybe just take and do really well on USMLE step II. Thats what most of my DO buddies have done/are doing.

Thanks!

I see, you didn't take USMLE Step 1 as a 2nd year...

Ok, listen up. Do NOT walk into the USMLE Step 1 "hoping" to pass/do well. There is no reason to be so blind when there are no less than 6 NBME practice tests that have great predictive power (some more than others -- forms 2, 3, 4 >> forms 1, 5, 6) waiting to be taken ($45/each).

My advice: take at least TWO of the NBME practice tests. If you score above the national average (~220) on both of them, then go ahead and take Step 1.

If not, then I would advice you to NOT take Step 1! A lackluster score will only hurt you my friend.

G'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. Always nice to get a second opinion. I'm becoming more practical and realistic about the whole thing. I'll probably take COMLEX II and USMLE II, and not take USMLE I or allow more time before taking USMLE I. I do plan to make use of all the NMBE tests before I take the USMLE to see where I stand.

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. Always nice to get a second opinion. I'm becoming more practical and realistic about the whole thing. I'll probably take COMLEX II and USMLE II, and not take USMLE I or allow more time before taking USMLE I. I do plan to make use of all the NMBE tests before I take the USMLE to see where I stand.

Hi Peace. If you are absolutely determined to do your residency in California, you might want to consider taking a year off to study for Step 1. Unless you are positive you wouldn't fail, since tanking the USMLE would put yourself into a considerably more difficult situation.

Anyhow, barring a competitive specialty, is it THAT necessary to take Step I? I think you would still be able to match for a residency SOMEPLACE in San Diego without Step 1.