Planned activity screw up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetRain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this cycle through TMDSAS. Unlike the AMCAS, TMDSAS allows you to list your planned activities if they are planned to take place after submission.

I was scheduled to shadow a doctor and volunteer at a local children's shelter. I had already talked to the physician and the volunteer coordinator told me I have passed the screening and ready for volunteer orientation at the end of August.

Then the doctor had a change of schedule due to personal reasons and wanted to postpone shadowing to sometime during the fall semester. Even worse, the volunteer coordinator at the children's shelter just quit and they don't really have anyone in charge right now. I am unable to get a definite answer on when I can start volunteering there now!

I contacted TMDSAS about it but my apps have already been transmitted and told me to bring it up during the interview. But I think I'm just gonna look like some irresponsible person who just listed whatever came to my mind and ended up not doing it. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I contacted TMDSAS about it but my apps have already been transmitted and told me to bring it up during the interview. But I think I'm just gonna look like some irresponsible person who just listed whatever came to my mind and ended up not doing it. Any advice?
Find analogous activities and do them instead. So you can go in with an update of "Well opportunity X didn't work out so I did Y."

Find analogous activities and do them instead. So you can go in with an update of "Well opportunity X didn't work out so I did Y."

Exactly. This is not a big deal. Shadowing and volunteering are 2 of the most interchangeable activities there are, just find another doctor/shelter.

Plans change all the time in medicine. You now have an opportunity to find other activities and look like a functioning & responsible human being in addition to whatever else volunteering & shadowing is supposed to demonstrate (I'm still not exactly sure). No one will be very interested in why your plans fell through, only that you found new ones - likewise, if you don't find new activities, no one is going to be terribly impressed with your excuses.