Planning exam dates to ensure a break before 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it crazy to plan my exams in late May to ensure I have a solid 10-14 days off before starting third year orientation? Our school starts mid june. And ideally, I'd like to have a little bit of mental recoup/break before starting third year. Also would like to do some traveling. At a DO school so was planning on taking Step and then Comlex a week later.

I only ask because I've mentioned this to students at my school and they look at me like I'm crazy. But part of me thinks that after 8 weeks of dedicated, another 2 days can't add all that much to a score.

Any advice, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You're right that often 2 days won't change your score much, but often people find a week is a fine amount of break in-between. How are you planning to prep before dedicated?

Reactions: 1 user
You're right that often 2 days won't change your score much, but often people find a week is a fine amount of break in-between. How are you planning to prep before dedicated?

Appreciate the reply. Our school gives us a year subscription to Truelearn which does the COMBANK question bank. I've been doing the USMLE questions off that qbank while in my systems-based courses. Doing about 50-75 q/week on top of the course work, typically about 10q/day. I'm averaging around a 60-70% on the questions, but untimed sessions.

Also doing the zanki path decks + zanki pharm decks (100 new cards/day) that correspond to the system we're in, in school. Also about halfway with the Sketchy micro videos + anki cards for each bug. Should be done with those before dedicated. Then Pathoma and B&B videos to supplement the classwork.

I would appreciate and welcome any and all advice/tips/pointers/critiques. Let me hear em!

EDIT: Also plan on saving UW for dedicated. But currently debating if I should start that in the spring semester and run through it once before dedicated. Keep hearing mixed reviews on whether you should just wait for dedicated to start it or start early and try to get through it over one full time.