Planning for kids during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomlogik

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a second year, but I have been discussing with my boyfriend about when would be a good time to have kids (after we get married). When you apply for a residency program, do they generally volunteer information in regards to maturnity leave or day care programs they may have available, or do you pretty much have to ask them directly about it? I feel like it's one of those sensitive topics, and I would be afraid to ask them about it. I wouldn't want to be discriminated against because I plan on having kids. A

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the residents who have kids. You can usually get names and emails of residents off program websites, or you can just wait to meet them in person during your interview day. If they already have kids, they are certainly not going to look down upon you for asking and will probably have helpful comments. On the other hand, don't ask the program director or department chair, just as you wouldn't ask them about the call schedule or the vacation policy.

randomlogik said:
I'm only a second year, but I have been discussing with my boyfriend about when would be a good time to have kids (after we get married). When you apply for a residency program, do they generally volunteer information in regards to maturnity leave or day care programs they may have available, or do you pretty much have to ask them directly about it? I feel like it's one of those sensitive topics, and I would be afraid to ask them about it. I wouldn't want to be discriminated against because I plan on having kids. A

randomlogik said:
I feel like it's one of those sensitive topics, and I would be afraid to ask them about it.

When you're interviewing at a particular residency program you should get a vibe as to how "family friendly" it is. My girlfriend, Penelope, interviewed for OB at a program a couple of months ago, and the entire interview group was populated by women who are married and have kids, will have kids soon, or are in the process of having kids. Hence, the day devolved into an almost wall-to-wall discussion of daycare facilities, call schedules, maternity leave policies, etc.

There are other programs that would be thrilled if you put in an IUD on day one. It just depends on the nature of the program and the specialty (i.e. FP vs. surgery).

In my own experience, I've had every vibe from "we will work you until you bleed" to "you wouldn't believe how many State holidays we get to take off." Good times!

Havarti666 said:
"we will work you until you bleed"

So, for about half the month, then?

kinetic said:
So, for about half the month, then?

Kinetic! Long time no see, man. How have you been doing? Been kicked out of any new residency programs?

Havarti666 said:
Kinetic! Long time no see, man. How have you been doing? Been kicked out of any new residency programs?

Not yet, but I'm working on it. You still on the rag?