yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So I just had my last interview (still waiting to hear from about 9 schools). If I end up not getting in here (waitlisted at my previous two interviews) I think I'm going to begin applying for SMP's.

I believe my two biggest weaknesses (someone correct me if I'm wrong) are clinical hours (160) and the fact I haven't taken any upper division science classes (pretty much the pre-reqs + microbio and physiology). Other than that, I'd like to believe I'm a very solid DO candidate (non-trad with 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post bacc gpa/30 MCAT). I believe an SMP will really help prove that I can handle more difficult classes, as well as a heavier academic load.

I really don't know what grade replacement will do for me at this point, because at best, I'll be able to raise my sgpa another .1 and my cum another .2. Doesn't seem like it'll really swing things in my favor.

I'm looking at a variety of MD and DO master's programs (Temple, Tulane, Tufts, Boston, AZCOM, Touro, etc). I'm hoping if I get into one, do well, i'll have a very good case for getting in to medical school. Thoughts?

W

wxman393

What schools have you interviewed at? Any red flags on your app?

Mar 28, 2013
Somewhere cold and windy
Status
Medical Student
So I just had my last interview (still waiting to hear from about 9 schools). If I end up not getting in here (waitlisted at my previous two interviews) I think I'm going to begin applying for SMP's.

I believe my two biggest weaknesses (someone correct me if I'm wrong) are clinical hours (160) and the fact I haven't taken any upper division science classes (pretty much the pre-reqs + microbio and physiology). Other than that, I'd like to believe I'm a very solid DO candidate (non-trad with 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post bacc gpa/30 MCAT). I believe an SMP will really help prove that I can handle more difficult classes, as well as a heavier academic load.

I really don't know what grade replacement will do for me at this point, because at best, I'll be able to raise my sgpa another .1 and my cum another .2. Doesn't seem like it'll really swing things in my favor.

I'm looking at a variety of MD and DO master's programs (Temple, Tulane, Tufts, Boston, AZCOM, Touro, etc). I'm hoping if I get into one, do well, i'll have a very good case for getting in to medical school. Thoughts?
I don't think your clinical hours are a weakness, and I personally didn't have much more in terms of upper level division science courses. Your class background is pretty typical for many medical school applicants. I have multiple classmates who have finance degrees or degrees in foreign languages, nothing close to the sciences.

If you want to spend the money on an SMP, I guess that is your choice, but it may be a better option to pick up a couple upper level science courses at a nearby institution that may be cheaper.

I'd also recommend having someone look over your app and getting feedback on why you weren't accepted. There has to be something, because from the info you've provided there isn't anything that should be keeping you out.

OP
Y

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
What schools have you interviewed at? Any red flags on your app?
Interviewed and waitlisted at Western and KCUMB. Waiting to hear on Touro CA.

The only possible red flags I see are I didn't start my clinical volunteering until February 2014 and DO shadowing until April. Perhaps I'm giving the indication that I rushed into this decision to pursue medical school? In that case, another year of continued volunteering, service, and clinical experience should clear that up, I'd think...

The only other red flag I see is my having to answer YES when an application asks about charges...however, my charges were dropped and my record is 100% clean.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Yanks, I think you've done everything you can. We've accepted people with the bare bones minimum of pre-reqs, and you've shown you can excel with a heavy courseload from your post-bac, right?

In the worst-case scenario that you never get any invites, it will be important to ask Admissions deans for feedback on your app.

I suspect that some type of red flag might be an issue. Nothing else makes sense. 160 clinical hrs are fine...more than the avg applicant.

OP
Y

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yanks, I think you've done everything you can. We've accepted people with the bare bones minimum of pre-reqs, and you've shown you can excel with a heavy courseload from your post-bac, right?

In the worst-case scenario that you never get any invites, it will be important to ask Admissions deans for feedback on your app.

I suspect that some type of red flag might be an issue. Nothing else makes sense. 160 clinical hrs are fine...more than the avg applicant.
Negative. I've taken my pre-reqs over the course of two years. I've averaged about 2 classes per semester. Maybe this is it...that said though, I've worked 60+ hours a week, volunteered, and studied for the MCAT on top of my classes...

It's just so frustrating Goro. If I accept the fact those charges (not convictions) aren't doing it, I honestly don't know what the issue is. I've gotten feedback on my interview skills. I've had people read my PS. I'm well-rounded, humble, and well-spoken. I've started my own (successful) business and have leadership skills from this experience. I've started a community service project having logged 1000 hours with that. I've gotten nearly straight A's since I decided to go back to school to take my pre-reqs and take the leap... I don't know what else I can do, and I don't know why I can't get more interviews (or acceptances). I'm considering hiring one of those expensive medical school consultants to assist if this cycle is a bust. I'm just at a complete loss here. Maybe I had an evil professor smile to my face and write me a bad LOR....but who knows, I'll never find out.

For the record, I've asked all rejections and waitlists, what the reasoning was.....I guess they're slow because no one is able to get back to with any answers...

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The season isn't over yet...just stay busy.

Negative. I've taken my pre-reqs over the course of two years. I've averaged about 2 classes per semester. Maybe this is it...that said though, I've worked 60+ hours a week, volunteered, and studied for the MCAT on top of my classes...

It's just so frustrating Goro. If I accept the fact those charges (not convictions) aren't doing it, I honestly don't know what the issue is. I've gotten feedback on my interview skills. I've had people read my PS. I'm well-rounded, humble, and well-spoken. I've started my own (successful) business and have leadership skills from this experience. I've started a community service project having logged 1000 hours with that. I've gotten nearly straight A's since I decided to go back to school to take my pre-reqs and take the leap... I don't know what else I can do, and I don't know why I can't get more interviews (or acceptances). I'm considering hiring one of those expensive medical school consultants to assist if this cycle is a bust. I'm just at a complete loss here. Maybe I had an evil professor smile to my face and write me a bad LOR....but who knows, I'll never find out.

For the record, I've asked all rejections and waitlists, what the reasoning was.....I guess they're slow because no one is able to get back to with any answers...

Reactions: hallowmann
OP
Y

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student

Got my first bit of feedback from a school that rejected me. They stated there was some concern of my ability to handle a rigorous schedule of upper-division science work and I should consider a rigorous post-bac/SMP. Honestly, this is the best answer I think I could have gotten...at least this is something I can commit to and actually fix if I need to reapply.

helpmewithochem

2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Got my first bit of feedback from a school that rejected me. They stated there was some concern of my ability to handle a rigorous schedule of upper-division science work and I should consider a rigorous post-bac/SMP. Honestly, this is the best answer I think I could have gotten...at least this is something I can commit to and actually fix if I need to reapply.
that was western huh?

helpmewithochem

2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
dang dude, if i may offer my opinion - you got WL from two of the more rigorous schools in the country. From an avg applicant POV, your application is almost sterling. As they say, it may very well be a total crap shoot getting yourself up those steps and to the door, but i firmly believe schools have every intention of accepting the students they invite for interviews. By and large they know they're going to end up rejecting about 1/4 of their interviewees and obviously have to choose the best of the bunch(this # is completely arbitrary and only used to highlight my point)

There has to be something about that day that negatively reflected on you or maybe your lack thereof that put you in that group just outside of the magic acceptance threshold. I dont doubt that youre an articulate individual, but do you think maybe the way you projected yourself might not have necessarily been in line with those schools philosophies/mission statements aka overall fit? just something id be pondering if i were in your shoes. regardless, good luck man. hope you snag that touro bid

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think the cycle is over, and you may benefit from adding more schools. That said, if you apply to SMPs, be sure you do well and focus on ones that have explicit linkage (i.e. get above X GPA and get an interview or flat out accepted into the medical program).

A lot of those programs are money-making ventures on the part of the school, so you really should be aiming for the ones that actually have a record of taking a lot of students from their SMP. The Touros have a good MS, I've heard good things about Drexel, maybe Western, etc. Either way, research each program and if you can, get info from students in the program or who have finished the program.

Aug 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Yanks,

I've seen your posts about your situation. A couple of things.

For the schools that interviewed you, I don't think your stats were much of a problem. You obviously have room to improve on your interview skills. But keep in mind, they wouldn't have invited you to interview if they didn't think you were a potential candidate, and those are tough programs, so that's *good* news. Interview needs to be a major focus.

Second, an SMP/post-bacc is a huge gamble with your stats. Your stats are good! If you don't outperform them in the post-bacc, you could find yourself worse off. As much as you want to do something proactive, and I get that, this could wind up costing you money and shooting yourself in the foot. Your GPA is fine. Take a few science classes next year while staying the course. Do something WEIRD for extra-curricular--something no one else is doing, something to make you stand apart that you can talk about at your interview, something that excites you.

Third, apply to more programs. Apply everywhere. With a red flag, there's no reason you shouldn't apply to programs all types of programs even in undesirable locations! Do you want to be a doctor? Apply to KYCOM, LMU-DCOM, ACOM, CUSOM, VCOM, PCOM-GA. . . .

and again, check your interview skills, as I think that's where you went wrong this cycle. Hopefully Touro CA will pull you through!

Aug 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh, also -- take a deep breath. You are going to get in. Maybe not this cycle, but you will get in! Go read some of the underdog success stories. You will definitely make it.

OP
Y

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yanks,

I've seen your posts about your situation. A couple of things.

For the schools that interviewed you, I don't think your stats were much of a problem. You obviously have room to improve on your interview skills. But keep in mind, they wouldn't have invited you to interview if they didn't think you were a potential candidate, and those are tough programs, so that's *good* news. Interview needs to be a major focus.

Second, an SMP/post-bacc is a huge gamble with your stats. Your stats are good! If you don't outperform them in the post-bacc, you could find yourself worse off. As much as you want to do something proactive, and I get that, this could wind up costing you money and shooting yourself in the foot. Your GPA is fine. Take a few science classes next year while staying the course. Do something WEIRD for extra-curricular--something no one else is doing, something to make you stand apart that you can talk about at your interview, something that excites you.

Third, apply to more programs. Apply everywhere. With a red flag, there's no reason you shouldn't apply to programs all types of programs even in undesirable locations! Do you want to be a doctor? Apply to KYCOM, LMU-DCOM, ACOM, CUSOM, VCOM, PCOM-GA. . . .

and again, check your interview skills, as I think that's where you went wrong this cycle. Hopefully Touro CA will pull you through!
I appreciate your input. The one thing I thought a smp could do however, is show I could handle rigorous upper div coursework. my post-bac was a series of 7 pre reps taken over 1.5 yesrs.....I'm afraid this may be the thing . holding me back at some schools... As was indicated by lecom. my interviewing skills should be solid...but I'm going to hire a consultant if touro ca doesn't work out.