Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Planning my life....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by docmira, Jul 1, 2002.

1. docmira

docmira Princess of Power

Post Doc
    Hey guys..
    I'm in third yr undergrad..
    Planning on med obviously..
    Only thing is, I was a retarted my first year, therefore my chances of coming out of undergrad with a stellar GPA is minimal :(
    So, I've been thinking of the not so many options i have...
    1. I could take a year off after undergrad..do some research and paid work and apply to med school that year.
    Or
    2. I could apply for a Masters or some other degree before med (not an option I am too thrilled about)
    What would u do if u were me..?
    (to those of you who have finished undergrad, do you advice taking a year off after?)
    Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Raptor

Raptor Found one

I think that I am in the same predicament as you. My GPA is not stellar by no means (3.1) and I am a rising junior. I am planning on taking 21 credits the whole of my junior year to pull my GPA up (~3.5). Then I will take the MCAT in August of 2003. Hopefully my GPA will improve after my first semester senior year (3.6 or higher). I really want to do this regardless if I had a stellar GPA or not, to go to a post bacc of my 1 st choice school. Then go to medical school. For you just make sure that you do well on the MCAT (30>). Do a lot of meaniful EC and your PS is really important. You will do fine and can you supply us with some numbers (GPA). Good luck

4. trouta

trouta Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    TAKE A YEAR OFF. I did and it was the best thing I did. Not only does it give you a chance to beef up your application a little, but it allows you to decompress from undergrad before diving into med school.

If you are really worried about your GPA etc., take a year off and use that time to volunteer, shadow and do all those other things that medical schools like.