Planning my life....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmira

Princess of Power
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..
I'm in third yr undergrad..
Planning on med obviously..
Only thing is, I was a retarted my first year, therefore my chances of coming out of undergrad with a stellar GPA is minimal :(
So, I've been thinking of the not so many options i have...
1. I could take a year off after undergrad..do some research and paid work and apply to med school that year.
Or
2. I could apply for a Masters or some other degree before med (not an option I am too thrilled about)
What would u do if u were me..?
(to those of you who have finished undergrad, do you advice taking a year off after?)
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think that I am in the same predicament as you. My GPA is not stellar by no means (3.1) and I am a rising junior. I am planning on taking 21 credits the whole of my junior year to pull my GPA up (~3.5). Then I will take the MCAT in August of 2003. Hopefully my GPA will improve after my first semester senior year (3.6 or higher). I really want to do this regardless if I had a stellar GPA or not, to go to a post bacc of my 1 st choice school. Then go to medical school. For you just make sure that you do well on the MCAT (30>). Do a lot of meaniful EC and your PS is really important. You will do fine and can you supply us with some numbers (GPA). Good luck

TAKE A YEAR OFF. I did and it was the best thing I did. Not only does it give you a chance to beef up your application a little, but it allows you to decompress from undergrad before diving into med school.

If you are really worried about your GPA etc., take a year off and use that time to volunteer, shadow and do all those other things that medical schools like.