Planning on applying next year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maaza1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Your cumulative and science GPA Current:cGPA: 3.52 sGPA: 3.41 Next year (hopefully):cGPA: 3.60 sGPA:3.51
-Clinical volunteer activities
Free Clinic: May 2012-present
Hospital Volunteering: Patient Visitor- I will be going to different wards and speaking with patients. My job will be to listen to what they have to say and provide them with some company. I haven't started yet but I will hopefully start soon.
-Physician shadowing (include specialties and total hours): N/A as of yet :( hopefully when I start volunteering at the hospital I will be able to find some physicans who will allow me to shadow them.
-Research: N/A please read my summary at the end.
-Nonclinical volunteer activities:
ICNA: (Islamic Council of North America)2006-Present ~250 hrs. As a volunteer I go out and distribute Islamic literature and speak with people about my religion. Not in order to convert anyone, but rather to stop the spread of misinformation. I have gone to festivals, state fairs, local libraries, and the City Market
ICNA Relief: 2008-Present ~150 hrs. As a member I go to "Feed the Hungry" about once a month. We go to the local shelter home and pass out food, clothing and hygiene products. I also had the oppurtunity to go to Joplin, MO. last year and help. I went 4 times during late May and June. Initally after the Tornadoes I helped with salvaging people's belongings. Then helped with tarping roofs to prevent rain, wind, and etc. from enter damaged houses. I also helped with general clean up of homes which were still suitable for living.
Habitat for Humanity May 2012-Present. I recently started last week. I help build houses.,
-Employment: N/A I can't work (legally) at this time.

Ok so here's my story:

I went to a small religious school that only goes up to 10th grade. I finished HS at a community college taking dual credit courses in 2009. In 2007 I had visa problems and went out-of-status. I was put in deportation proceedings in late 2008. As a undocumented student I could not work, drive, or go to University because the state of MO doesn't allow it. For this reason I stayed in community college. I have amassed 140 CC credits and my GPA is based solely on the grades from there. Unfortunately, all of my pre-reqs are also from CC. As a CC student I didn't have the opportunity to participate in Research and the internships I applied to didn't accept me either because of my immigration status or lack of experience. In January of 2012 I was granted my green card however the department of homeland security is refusing to issue it. >.> Anyways, I applied to a local private university and fortunately got accepted and I currently have almost 2/3 scholarship there.
I hope to apply as a disadvantaged student. I turned 18 in July of 2010, and even before then it was hard for me. I spend 2-3 hrs a day traveling by bus and walking because I can't drive. It takes/took me the whole day to do errands that normally would take someone an hour or two. The local state university won't accept me and my father's income before and after I turned 18 was 40k a year. As an undocumented student I was too scared to do many things because I didn't want to risk deportation. Now that I'm not in deportation proceedings I'm trying to do more, however I still can't do much because I don't have my green card. Unforutnately, I'm not URM. I'm from Pakistan; not Hispanic.

In the following year I hope to:
- Gain clinic experience through volunteering
- Gain research experience (hopefully if a faculty member allows it)
- Shadow
-prepare for and take the MCAT
- Take upper-level courses hopefully showing that I will be able to handle Med. School level work.
- I really want to do something with leadership however I don't know what to do. I'm financially limited and I can't drive still so I only use the bus system which isn't very reliable.

If anyone could give me advice on what more to do it'd be great. Do you think I qualify as a disadvantaged student? This thread is basically for my personal progress I hope to update it throughout the upcoming year before I applying.

Members don't see this ad.

WOW sad story but if you really want to become to doctor don't let anything stop you. Try to get clinical experience and get the situation sorted out.

-Your cumulative and science GPA Current:cGPA: 3.52 sGPA: 3.41 Next year (hopefully):cGPA: 3.60 sGPA:3.51
-Clinical volunteer activities
Free Clinic: May 2012-present
Hospital Volunteering: Patient Visitor- I will be going to different wards and speaking with patients. My job will be to listen to what they have to say and provide them with some company. I haven't started yet but I will hopefully start soon.
-Physician shadowing (include specialties and total hours): N/A as of yet :( hopefully when I start volunteering at the hospital I will be able to find some physicans who will allow me to shadow them.
-Research: N/A please read my summary at the end.
-Nonclinical volunteer activities:
ICNA: (Islamic Council of North America)2006-Present ~250 hrs. As a volunteer I go out and distribute Islamic literature and speak with people about my religion. Not in order to convert anyone, but rather to stop the spread of misinformation. I have gone to festivals, state fairs, local libraries, and the City Market
ICNA Relief: 2008-Present ~150 hrs. As a member I go to "Feed the Hungry" about once a month. We go to the local shelter home and pass out food, clothing and hygiene products. I also had the oppurtunity to go to Joplin, MO. last year and help. I went 4 times during late May and June. Initally after the Tornadoes I helped with salvaging people's belongings. Then helped with tarping roofs to prevent rain, wind, and etc. from enter damaged houses. I also helped with general clean up of homes which were still suitable for living.
Habitat for Humanity May 2012-Present. I recently started last week. I help build houses.,
-Employment: N/A I can't work (legally) at this time.

Ok so here's my story:

I went to a small religious school that only goes up to 10th grade. I finished HS at a community college taking dual credit courses in 2009. In 2007 I had visa problems and went out-of-status. I was put in deportation proceedings in late 2008. As a undocumented student I could not work, drive, or go to University because the state of MO doesn't allow it. For this reason I stayed in community college. I have amassed 140 CC credits and my GPA is based solely on the grades from there. Unfortunately, all of my pre-reqs are also from CC. As a CC student I didn't have the opportunity to participate in Research and the internships I applied to didn't accept me either because of my immigration status or lack of experience. In January of 2012 I was granted my green card however the department of homeland security is refusing to issue it. >.> Anyways, I applied to a local private university and fortunately got accepted and I currently have almost 2/3 scholarship there.
I hope to apply as a disadvantaged student. I turned 18 in July of 2010, and even before then it was hard for me. I spend 2-3 hrs a day traveling by bus and walking because I can't drive. It takes/took me the whole day to do errands that normally would take someone an hour or two. The local state university won't accept me and my father's income before and after I turned 18 was 40k a year. As an undocumented student I was too scared to do many things because I didn't want to risk deportation. Now that I'm not in deportation proceedings I'm trying to do more, however I still can't do much because I don't have my green card. Unforutnately, I'm not URM. I'm from Pakistan; not Hispanic.

In the following year I hope to:
- Gain clinic experience through volunteering
- Gain research experience (hopefully if a faculty member allows it)
- Shadow
-prepare for and take the MCAT
- Take upper-level courses hopefully showing that I will be able to handle Med. School level work.
- I really want to do something with leadership however I don't know what to do. I'm financially limited and I can't drive still so I only use the bus system which isn't very reliable.

If anyone could give me advice on what more to do it'd be great. Do you think I qualify as a disadvantaged student? This thread is basically for my personal progress I hope to update it throughout the upcoming year before I applying.
I think your current EC plan looks fine.

The criteria for "Disadvantaged" status are apparent when you fill out AMCAS, but in the meanwhile, do an Advanced Search in PreMedAllo for posts by LizzyM, using the Search term "Disadvantaged."

After you've been with Habitat for Humanity for awhile, you might consider taking on a chair position in one of the subcommittees for one of your projects. Don't rush into it now, as you'll need to see how things work from a volunteer's point of view first.

What do you have to do to satisfy Homeland Security's concerns? When does your immigration attorney feel that your green card will be released, based on similar cases?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Verum: Thank you!

@Cataylisk: I'm honored! Thank you for replying to my thread. I've searched "LizzyM" and "Disadvantaged" I think I may fall into that category, thank you for your help.

I've bee pretty busy this summer:
- Taking a 4000 level (senior level) biotechnology course (currently have an A!)
- Finishing up Introduction to Research course (A as well!)
- I have been volunteering at the hospital ~10hrs a week both as a patient visitor and in the ED.
- free health clinic ~3 hrs a week
- I'm working on finding doctors to shadow.
- I study for the MCAT when ever I have time, but it's been somewhat of a struggle.
- One of my professors accepted me into their research group and I'l be doing independent research on a local endangered species. I'm very excited for this!
- Unfortunately I was able to keep up with habitat for humanity due to school and the clinical volunteering,and I had to drop it :(.
- DHS decided to file a motion to reopen my case and the IJ accepted >=(. My court date has yet to come so I don't know what's in store for me on even if I do get my green card. I'm trying to stay positive and focus on school + EC's, but it has been really demotivational. I just don't want to slack off now and regret it if things do get better.

Questions:
- My ICNA chapter is holding a fundraising dinner and I'll be in charge of registration. I have done this before during past events and I was wondering if this might count as a leadership experience. We are raising money for (hopefully) our second women's shelter home.
- Also, would I be considered a "Non-trad?" I'll be 21 when I apply, but I will have 160+ credits by then.

Last edited:
Questions:[/B]
1) - My ICNA chapter is holding a fundraising dinner and I'll be in charge of registration. I have done this before during past events and I was wondering if this might count as a leadership experience. We are raising money for (hopefully) our second women's shelter home.
2) - Also, would I be considered a "Non-trad?" I'll be 21 when I apply, but I will have 160+ credits by then.
1) If you coordinate the efforts of a group of other helpers, then yes. If you are the only one who does this, then no. It's still a community service, regardless.

2) A "Nontrad" for SDN purposes implies that you've had another career before entering medicine.

1) If you coordinate the efforts of a group of other helpers, then yes. If you are the only one who does this, then no. It's still a community service, regardless.

2) A "Nontrad" for SDN purposes implies that you've had another career before entering medicine.

What if I help raise the money for the fundraiser as well? Registering is just my job for the night; I'm also raising money selling tickets. Thank you so much Catalystik I appreciate your help!

Ok, I understand lol. Thanks

Last edited: