Planning to retake the MCAT, will schools just see my old score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to retake the MCAT this upcoming July. However, if I submit my primary in June/July, and my scores don't come in until August, will schools automatically just use my old score? Or will they wait for my new score?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to retake the MCAT this upcoming July. However, if I submit my primary in June/July, and my scores don't come in until August, will schools automatically just use my old score? Or will they wait for my new score?

Thanks

Hi @bme94
What is your old score? You will have the option to tell schools you are re-taking the exam on your AMCAS/ACOMAS. However, for all intents and purposes with regards to interview selection, they will most likely wait on your new score to make a final decision but that old score will impact their judgment. Re-takes really need to show improvement.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Hi @bme94
What is your old score? You will have the option to tell schools you are re-taking the exam on your AMCAS/ACOMAS. However, for all intents and purposes with regards to interview selection, they will most likely wait on your new score to make a final decision but that old score will impact their judgment. Re-takes really need to show improvement.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Hi @NextStepTutor_2, that's unfortunate to hear, because my old exam score was pretty bad - a 499. I had pretty bad test anxiety and didn't prepare for it the right way.